Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-09-2012, 07:24 PM   #29

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Yes, we tow a 2004 Wrangler and yes, I will be the first to blow Wrangler's horn. They are definitely fun. We spend quite a bit of time in Western N.C. in the mountains and on the Blue Ridge Pkwy. There is nothing like throwing the "rag" down and enjoying the weather, warm or cold, or following that dim road thru the woods. There's only 2 of us, and of course Peanut, so comfort is really not an issue. It will seat 4, us and 2 grandaughters, but doesn't have the most comfortable ride. But having said that, when you own a Jeep, comfort is somewhere way back there in pros and cons. Fun and reliability are at the top. They are fun and tough. Nuff said. Life is good, especially in a Jeep.
Marriage is a relationship in which one is always right and the other is the husband
new2RVn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-11-2012, 01:04 PM   #30

Ford Super Duty Owner
We are on our fifth Wrangler and recently traded in our 04 for a new 2013 Rubicon 2 door. The smoothness of the ride is remarkably better and the fuel economy and power is much better. The back seat almost automatically folds up for extra room in the rear. We run the four wheel drive passes in Colorado and can't wait to hit them next summer. If you can afford a new Rubicon, get one. I can't say enough good things about them. You will be able to run the toughest trails.
Old Dude 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 01:51 PM   #31

I just drove the Alpine Loop Rd. off of the Million Dollar Highway, just out of Ouray, CO this fall in my '01 Suzuki Grand Vitara with street tires! Jeep owners and renters were scratching their heads as I overtook them! Driving the back road from Moab to the Needles District of CanyonLands, I was following a set of wide tracks. Got to some boulders and could not tell where the road was and in my search saw three Hummers coming from up ahead. Turns out they were the wide tracks I had been following. They had turned around a couple hundred yards ahead, blaming it on "street tires" on one of the Hummers. (I turned around at that point, partner said she was tired of holding onto the granny handle)

The Suzuki GV with real 4WD (high and low range) is at home on the freeway and climbing up the back side of the mountain! Highway MPG is 23-24. Brother has a Jeep Liberty 4WD and get 16-17.

H

hdossett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 01:59 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Dude 66 View Post
We are on our fifth Wrangler and recently traded in our 04 for a new 2013 Rubicon 2 door. The smoothness of the ride is remarkably better and the fuel economy and power is much better. The back seat almost automatically folds up for extra room in the rear. We run the four wheel drive passes in Colorado and can't wait to hit them next summer. If you can afford a new Rubicon, get one. I can't say enough good things about them. You will be able to run the toughest trails.
Can you give your opinion of any pros/cons in getting the automatic vs. stick, any options you got? My wife is really not into shifting.
Jake62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 02:19 PM   #33

Alpine Owners Club
Tim, the newer Wranglers ('12 and up) have a new engine and a 5 speed auto box that is much better suited to the rig than the '07-'11 4 speeds.

We had an '07 4dr (4.10 gears and the metric equivalent of 33"s) that we ended up getting rid of as both of us hated the way it shifted and power was abysmal at 7200' where we live not to mention going any higher. I've heard nothing but raves about the new engine and automatic transmission. Several of the members of our Jeep club have upgraded from the earlier JKs and have big smiles.

That being said you couldn't pry me out of my TJ on 35"s or the Cherokee on 33"s.
daveshan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 05:58 PM   #34

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake62

Can you give your opinion of any pros/cons in getting the automatic vs. stick, any options you got? My wife is really not into shifting.
In my opinion, there are no downsides to an auto. On the old trannies, they had very little hold back ability in 4 low when creeping down an extremely steep slope. No problem now. The Rubicon has a button when activated does the hold back for you. I did rock crawling for 10 years and started with a 5 speed standard. Changed the tranny to an an auto very quickly.
Old Dude 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 06:40 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake62 View Post

If you're buying new, get what your Wife wants, if you are looking at buying used, like a TJ or a YJ, you may have to make some concessions to pick up a good one, like hard or soft top, model, or color. I held the line on full doors, A/C and 4.0L 6.
The transmission was optional, ended up with a stick. Which is fine as I prefer a stick when driving up and down winding mountain roads.
Old 12-12-2012, 02:55 PM   #36

Jeeps are where it's at!
Jon Mopar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 05:26 PM   #37

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Mopar View Post
Jeeps are where it's at!
But for a Mopar man like yourself, there are other ways to get that same performance!

Francesca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 09:10 PM   #38

^HA!!! I remember watching that....classic!
Jon Mopar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 06:44 AM   #39

Monaco Owners Club
As you can probably tell we are Jeep people too. The TJ is fantastic and will go anywhere anytime. With that said, we also have a super-sized Toyota Sequoia. As was well stated by Gary RVRoamer darn near any reasonable vehicle with 4 wheel or all-wheel drive will get you into lots of great back country. We've had the Sequoia on trails that have other 4-wheelers scratching their heads.

So, bottom line from our perspective... find a vehicle that you like that meets your needs. If you plan to do medium to difficult trails get something with more ground clearance and minimal overhang (wheel center line to end of bumper). If that is not too much of an issue, just buy what you like, buy as many terrain maps as you can find, buy off-road trails books, buy a good air compressor (Viair is a good choice) and a tire gauge, air down your tires when you get to the trail (15-18 lbs on almost any vehicle will be fine and you won't rattle the fillings out of your teeth) (just don't forget to air back up when you are about to get back on the pavement), and most of all... have fun and get dirty.
Old 12-13-2012, 07:25 AM   #40

Winnebago Owners Club
We have a 2007 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited 4 door with an automatic transmission. 130,000+ miles on it. I use it for every day use and we tow it behind the coach. I have the Blue OX tow bar and it is real quick and easy to connect and disconnect for towing. I do back road trails and the sand dunes here in Michigan. We have gone on ORV trails in other states too. The 4 door has a lot of room in the back (easier and more comfortable for passengers). I love the ground clearance and it goes in snow when everyone else is stuck.
2007 Jeep Wrangler
codgerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 08:32 AM   #41

Newmar Owners Club
We currently own and tow a 2013 Wrangler Unlimited. My previous toad was a 2009 Chevy Malibu, very easy to set up and tow. I wanted a toad that was off-road capable and fun to drive...top down option was a plus.

Since this vehicle is also my daily driver, I was concerned about moving over to the Jeep. Although I don't get the MPG I was getting from the Malibu, I was pleasantly suprised with the ride and comfort of the Jeep, especially with the Unlimited's longer wheelbase. Just got back from a 500 mile roadtrip in the Jeep and was just as comfortable as when I made the same trip in the Malibu. Granted, I bought the Sahara model so I have the necessary bells & whistles that add to driver/passanger creature comfort like heated seats, Nav, Sat radio, etc.

All that said, I'm a Jeep convert!
Jim28730 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 09:08 AM   #42

I am debating the idea of a new Jeep Wrangler for our new Fleetwood Bounder, but I am still not convinced. I bought a 2008 FJ Cruiser in 2007 and I really like the vehicle. In my opinion, the Jeep is a step down and away from the FJ, but the FJ cannot be towed four-down. So I'll need to trade in my FJ if I am to buy a Jeep.

Decisions, decisions...
Oscar Mike is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad