Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-28-2012, 12:12 PM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Mopar View Post
this is the face of 300k on the odometer, and ZERO issues... ever. Over the course of those hard miles, it has only needed the basics (tires, oil changes etc). And yes, this thing has been bashed along some scary terrain in bone-stock trim. Not many can say that about their rides.
Very nice TJ. Who needs a diesel when you can go 300K and still be going strong. That rig looks brand new in your pic!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-28-2012, 01:51 PM   #72

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveshan
Yep, those old I-6 engines were good for 300K+ with regular oil changes. That's one good looking, well maintained TJ!

Old dude, I'm guessing Texas must use a trail rating system that goes to 15?

OP here's the rating system that most folks use. I've lead stock JK 2dr Rubicons with good drivers over 7 rated trails without too many issues, the 4drs need a lift at that rating due to breakover angles.
I don't know why you said anything about a rating system of 15. Most of the trails we ran in Oklahoma and Arkansas only use ratings to 4.

Old Dude 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 02:16 PM   #73

Vintage RV Owners Club
I think it's about time y'all got a look at a real off-roader....the First Gen Kia Sportage!

Here's my daily driver/tug keepin' up with the big boys...in Greece, no less!

kia sportage 4x4 off road attiki highlights video greece - YouTube
Old 12-28-2012, 03:12 PM   #74

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Dude 66 View Post
I don't know why you said anything about a rating system of 15. Most of the trails we ran in Oklahoma and Arkansas only use ratings to 4.
See highlighted text, could get someone in big trouble if they try to do a 9 in their stock Rubi, especially if they go down steps on the way in that are beyond their Jeeps ability to go back up. The last part is great advice but so often folks don't know they can't do a trail 'till they get too far in. That's why we have ratings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Dude 66 View Post
Just buy a Rubicon and you will be fine for trails up to a 9 rated trail. If mine won't do a trail, I just stay off.

'05 Lance 845/'06 F-250 or '99 Alpine 36SDS Usually towing an '01 Wrangler locked on 35"s or moderate '98 Cherokee on 33"s (rear locker only)
daveshan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 06:07 PM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSCRUDE View Post
Very nice TJ. Who needs a diesel when you can go 300K and still be going strong. That rig looks brand new in your pic!
thanks! It looks just as good in person. I try to steer clear of big tree branches, so it's not all scratched up...but it's been down some not nice trails. Although hardly noticeable, I actually hit a tree while on a pretty nasty trail. Cracked the pass-side turn signal and bent the fender slightly, but didn't even chip the paint haha. Bulletproof!

The reasons why people who want a smaller/rugged SUV TOAD, end buying anything other than a Jeep, are beyond me. The old ones are indestructible. And the new ones are not only tough, but practical, comfortable and pretty fuel efficient. I bought a new one last year for my daily roundabout. Love it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveshan View Post
Yep, those old I-6 engines were good for 300K+ with regular oil changes. That's one good looking, well maintained TJ!

Very true! The mileage on my TJ freaks people out after they compliment me on how good it looks for its age. The non-believers are kind of in awe that you can still beat on a Jeep with 300k. I think diesel's are often overrated after you factor in the maintenance costs over its lifetime. We had 93 Gr.Cherokee with the I-6 that we used to beat around with. It had close to 400k when we sold it. Tough as nails.. a friend bought it and still drives it. Basically only needed routine stuff, and new control/trailing arms just before I sold it, because the old ones were ripe.

Jon Mopar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 09:51 AM   #76

My 2012 Wrangler is stock. Have done many trails in AZ listed as "difficult" and all of Broken Arrow in Sedona including the Steps without any problems.

But I'm not the kind that must challenge the envelope. So, I'm not planning any upgrades beyond my US Navy spare tire cover. The "Trail Rated" emblem says enough for me.

We go off-road to to have fun, but also to see scenery and wildlife that most folks cannot dream of.

Just sayin....

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 10:04 PM   #77

Love my 2012 Wrangler which I tow behind my 2005 Fleetwood Southwind 32V. We had a CR-V but love the off road adventure and sense of expedition only a true 4 x 4 can offer. Plus it is a cult car - the Jeep forum will offer up lots of entertainment. Trust me, get the Jeep. Here is our before and after pics.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4991.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	46.3 KB
ID:	31665   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8219.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	31666  

Tags
toad