Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-24-2017, 08:31 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Toad questions

Hi, we're new to class A RV'ing, I have purchased a 1991 Jeep Wrangler for our Toad and plan to flat tow it, I wanted to know the difference between a ball hitch tow bar and a receiver hitch tow bar?
ussnewco is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-24-2017, 08:45 AM   #2

Forest River Owners Club
The way I understand it, from when we were trying to decide, is that the ball hitch tow had the tow assembly (A frame looking animal) mounted on the front of the jeep. To hook up you have to position the jeep properly to slip on the ball then hook up as you would any trailer. We stayed away from this one as usually the assembly would be sticking up and secured to the jeep when unhooked and stick up above the hood. I imagine there are more modern ones out there.
The hitch mount slips into the receiver hitch on your motorhome and the assembly is all attached to that, and it stays with the motorhome when you're unhooked. To hook up you drive your vehicle near and centered to the assembly and there are usually adjustable arms that come out and attach to a mounted bar on your jeep. Blue Ox and Roadmaster both make excellent ones of these. I hope I've described this correctly, and I probably haven't gotten it totally correct-but that's as I understand it when we were shopping.
Old 03-24-2017, 09:08 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Igave, thanks for your input. Do you have an opinion which is better/safer ball hitch other receiver hitch?
Old 03-24-2017, 09:17 AM   #4

Forest River Owners Club
In my opinion, the receiver hitch is easier on any given day to use, and I like that there is some flexibility in hooking/unhooking. I've watched quite a few folks with ones that don't have flex arms spend a lot of frustrated time trying to hook/unhook. I didn't want the ball hitch assembly sticking up all the time when unhooked, plus having to figure out a good way to latch it up so it didn't scratch up my hood. I think they both work fine, but at least to me the hitch assembly seemed more solid and it's easy. We bought the Roadmaster all-terrain because you don't have to be perfectly level to hook/unhook but I think any of them probably have pros and cons. We just didn't want that hitch frame traveling all over with us when we were using just the toad, and it seemed you'd have to be a little more exact getting it on the ball to hook up-cause you can't see the ball from in the vehicle. Unless you're an rv person you don't even know the hitch bar is on your jeep, it just blends in and barely sticks out.
Old 03-24-2017, 11:40 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks igave, you've been very helpful, I wanted to get the receiver version but also didn't want to to waste my money if it was no better than the less expensive ball version, if I can find a ball version with adjustable Arms I mighty go that route.
Old 03-24-2017, 12:22 PM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
The collapsible arm tow bar comes in either version; use with a ball or use directly with a receiver.

I suspect the receiver model version may have a higher weight capacity than the ball version. I've been using the ball version for about a year when we tow our Vue. I just inherited a receiver version, but it needs to be overhauled before I'd consider using it.

Straight - non collapsible arms. I had one of these I used for my old Civic. It was what I called an "A" tow bar, it would mount to a 2 inch ball. the arms were not collapsible.

Hooking up with the collapsible arms is very easy, just get the toad close, hook up the arms to the toad and slowly drive off. The arms will extend and then lock into place.

Hooking up with the fixed "A" bar is a little more of a challenge, the tow bars ball connector must line up with the hitch ball.

I'd hook the "A" bar up to the Civic, then hold the bar up by the chains and my DW would slowly drive the Civic and line up the tow bar hitch with the Motor-home ball. I'd then drop the tow bar onto the ball and finish hooking up safety chains and lights
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 12:31 PM   #7

I have a Roadmaster Stowaway 5000 on my 2004 Jeep wrangler toad, it is a ball mount. I like it. Jeep wranglers weigh less than 4000 lbs. I can hook up in minutes and you can remove it if you want. I also have the shield that attaches.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170324_131551.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	454.3 KB
ID:	155932   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170324_131616.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	434.0 KB
ID:	155933  

rdd001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 06:02 PM   #8

17 years with the Road Master Stowmaster, 2 toads, zero problems. It may outlive me!
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 06:18 PM   #9

One of the nicer features of the receiver type hitch is the fact it stays in place on the MH. In my experience, it doesn't need to be removed often - and it doesn't mess with the appearance of the toad much at all.
Old 03-24-2017, 07:29 PM   #10
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
I have used both types, the ball hitch on a fixed frame on our friend's Jeep and now a Blue Ox receiver tow bar on mine. I would never go back to a fixed tow bar as they are a pain to hook up each time. it normally takes two people, one holding the hitch and one maneuvering the Jeep. They can be removable so they don't stick up, but it's still a pain. The receiver type stays on the motor home and folds up out of the way in seconds. Just my $0.02 worth, other opinions will vary.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 08:13 PM   #11

Toad questions

Everyone has their fav hitch. They all work. Some make a car look like a car when disconnected.
The OP has a Wrangler. There is no better hitch for that than a Stowmaster!
Wrangler owners prefer practical, easy, and always attached and ready. Plus, it's the mightiest front bumper ever!
A Wrangler looks great with a gaudy wench on the front, and a Stowmaster only adds to the appeal.
It's a Jeep thing. Most don't understand
Old 03-25-2017, 06:07 AM   #12

Oops! winch... not wench [emoji51]

Tags
toad