Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-12-2011, 03:03 PM   #1

Toad questions from a beginner?

Alright guys, I'm a potential new Class "A"er and I need a few questions answered about towing a toad. We are looking at a Class A with the Ford V10, the MH weight is 22K and GVWR is 26K. There is a total of 6 of us traveling and all of our stuff, which in total should amount to about 2000#'s. So doing the math, that leaves us with a toad weighing less than 2000#'s. I know there isn't a 6 passenger toad that weighs 2000#'s or less!

Therefore, does anyone have any input as far a weight ratings, etc that may help? I have talked to one guy that said that he towed a 13K sand toy trailer with a gas engine without a problem for four years. I was thinking about a Chevy Colorado CrewCab 4wd, Chevy Traverse or Honda Odyessey.

Thanks for any suggestions and input!

P. S. By the way...no need to state the obvious of getting a diesel pusher or getting rid of a couple of kids!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-12-2011, 03:35 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
GVWR is the max your MH can weigh.

You need the GCWR, which is the combined max weight of the MH and toad.

You also need to know the hitch capacity of the MH.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 04:16 PM   #3

Many have stated here, and I'll repeat it, the maximum towing capacity is your GCWR minus the weight of the tow vehicle (your MH) when loaded and ready to tow or the hitch capacity of your MH, which ever is lower.
Old 06-13-2011, 08:44 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

I think you have your coach numbers wrong. In all probability, your coach GVWR is 22,000 lbs and the GCWR is 26,000 lbs. The actual weight of your coach when empty will be substantiallyless than 22,000 lbs, but it will likley be close to that number with 6 people, gear, food & water onboard. That would leave you about 4000 lbs for a toad, which is typical for that size motorhome on a Ford chassis. A Honda CRV or Chevy HHR would fit nicely in that weight envelope.

So re-check the numbers, as the others have already suggested. You need to know the GVWR, the GCWR, and the UL (Unladen Weight), then estimate how much weight you will add in passengers and gear. It will be more than you imagine, so leave a big safety margin.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 10:49 AM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I won't comment on the weight issue, mostly because it is already well covered. But I will make a few other comments.

Towing 4-down is the LIGHTEST way to tow, using a dolly or trailer will add many pounds to the tow and will very likely exceed your tow rating. Unless you are towing something about the size of a golf car.

Second, If you visit a web page that says you do not need a braking system on the toeed,, DO NOT BELIEVE IT.. You do need such a system. I know several states on those web pages say you need brakes on a trailer, but not on a car.. In some cases I've done my own research and found that the state has no law which says "A car being towed".. but it does define a trailer somewhat differently than the web page author.

And in Michigan, for example, a car in tow, 4-down.. *IS* a trailer. 100%, and thus needs brakes.
Old 06-14-2011, 04:52 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyboe View Post
Alright guys, I'm a potential new Class "A"er and I need a few questions answered about towing a toad. We are looking at a Class A with the Ford V10, the MH weight is 22K and GVWR is 26K. There is a total of 6 of us traveling and all of our stuff, which in total should amount to about 2000#'s. So doing the math, that leaves us with a toad weighing less than 2000#'s. I know there isn't a 6 passenger toad that weighs 2000#'s or less!

Therefore, does anyone have any input as far a weight ratings, etc that may help? I have talked to one guy that said that he towed a 13K sand toy trailer with a gas engine without a problem for four years. I was thinking about a Chevy Colorado CrewCab 4wd, Chevy Traverse or Honda Odyessey.

Thanks for any suggestions and input!

P. S. By the way...no need to state the obvious of getting a diesel pusher or getting rid of a couple of kids!
As has been mentioned I believe the 22K you are referring to is the GVWR (Gross Vehicle Weight Rating) which is the total amount of weight the chassis can carry. The GVWR of our 2001 Ford chassis is 20,500 lbs but the motorhome alone only weighs 16,300 with a full tank of gas. That means we can carry 4,200 lbs of people,cargo, water, propane, etc before reaching the GVWR.

The GCWR (Gross Combined Weight Rating) is the total amount of weight that can be carried and towed by the chassis. If you choose to load the coach to the GVWR of 22,000 lbs you can still pull an additional 4,000 lbs.

Be aware however that no gas chassis are rated to pull more than 1,500 lbs without suplimental braking on the trailer/vehicle being towed. Neither Ford or Workhorse get into the semantics of what is considered a "trailer" both just say anything being towed that weighs over 1,500 lbs needs it's own braking system.

The maximum amount any gas chassis is rated to tow (from the factory) is 5,000 lbs so the guy who said he could tow a 13,000 lb trailer is either pulling your chain, has no idea what the trailer actually weighs, or is taking some very serious risks. Besides the limits of the braking system there are other things to take into consideration like the towing capacity of the transmission, the cooling capacity of the engine & transmission, the strength of the hitch, and the strength of the chassis frame extensions.

A quick look at the new Colorado Crew cab puts the weight at about 3,800 lbs. so it's well within the towing limits of the Ford chassis. We tow an 04 Jeep Wrangler that weighs 3,740 lbs without any problems. We tow it 4 down and use a suplimental braking system to keep within the limits of the Ford chassis.
Old 06-14-2011, 05:31 PM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
My 2011 HHR full of fuel and nothing else weighs 3150 on the CAT scales.
Old 06-15-2011, 12:28 AM   #8

Thanks for all of the input guys. You guys were right about the GVWR and GCWR, I misprinted the numbers originally. I will take all of your input into making our decision, I'm leaning towards all 4 down. I need to wait to take delivery of our MH so that I can get it weighed first.

Does anyone have an opinion of which auxiliary braking system is the best and whether it is best to hard wire the tail lights or use magnetic lights.

Thanks again for all your help.
Old 06-15-2011, 09:23 AM   #9

We use the Roadmaster Brakemaster 9060 brake system. It's a little more complex than some but provides proportional braking, has an air compressor in the coach that can be used to inflate tires or other objects, and only requires the installation (and storage when not in use) of an air cylinder in the towed vehicle. That may not be important if you tow a fairly large car, but there's limited storage space in a Jeep Wrangler with 2 people and 2 dogs. We've used this unit to tow our Jeep over 60,000 miles so far without any problems.

As for the brake lights I prefer hard wired. We used magnetic lights when we towed our Buick on a dolly but much prefer the hard wired option we use on the Jeep. Most magnetic lights come with some sort of media to place between the magnets on the lights and the body of the towed vehicle to keep the lights from scratching the paint. No matter how thoroughly you clean the surface before installing the lights they always seem to leave some scratches. On rough roads the magnetic lights seem to move enough to scratch things or make them less visible from the rear.

Tags
toad