Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-01-2010, 07:30 PM   #1

toad rear tire wear

I did a search and could not find any one who had the problem that I am having. My rear tires will only last about 10,000 to 12,000 miles of towing and the tread is worn off so much they are unsafe. I have a Blue Ox baseplate and tow bar. Of course I have had the alignment checked (twice) so that is not the issue. My front tires have about 30,000 mi and still look good. I had the issue with both my Geo tracker and now my Suzuki Grand Vitura. The wear is actully pretty even across the face of the tire, no cupping or side wear. Has any body had this particular issue? I pulled my toad for a couple of years behind my 5W and now pull it behind my Motorhome. Same problem and about the same miles towed and I have to replace the rear tires.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-01-2010, 07:50 PM   #2
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
The only thing I can think of is, something is causing a misalignment. You say you've had the toad checked, so something about the lash up is causing it? Have you checked the length of the tow bar arms when in the locked position? Are they identical in length? The front tires will track if the tow bar is 'crooked', but the rears can't steer and will scrub.

I've got well over 70k miles on the tires on my Jeep, about 15k of those as a toad. Years ago we pulled a Geo Tracker and I don't remember the mileage we got out of those tires, but I know its multiples of what you're getting.

2017 GMC Acadia toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 09:13 PM   #3

Jay, I had not checked the lengths but went out and measured. They are less then 1/16 inch of each other. Thanks for the suggestion though.
Old 09-01-2010, 09:47 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
It's entirely possible for an ordinary wheel alignment to look good, but the frame or body not good.
Can't think of anything else that would scrub the rubber of the rear tires so rapidly.
We drag an 06 Grand Vitara and have well over 20,000 miles (towed and driven) on this set of tires and they look new. Are you using the same baseplate from the Geo? It could possibly be canted, or not mounted exactly the same distance from the front. Don't use the plastic grill for measuring. Think of it this way. When you are going down the road straight, everything is okay. When you turn the MH, the Suzuki front tires are turning with the MH but the rear wheel (tires) are literally being dragged sideways and leaving the rubber on the road. That example is overblown, but you get the idea.

Good luck, Kerry
Old 09-02-2010, 01:33 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
It almost sounds as if you are lifting the front of the car slightly off the ground when being towed, thus causeing undo pressure on the rear. Which in turn will cause them to scrub as you travel and wearout prematurely.
Prior to hooking up measure the front and rear bumber height to the ground. Then once connected and ready to travel remeasure the front and rear bumper height and see if they have changed. YOu may be suprised to find that the front is now actually higher than when not connected. Just my .01 worth
Old 09-02-2010, 01:36 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I forgot to mention make sure the motor home is warmed up and at normal travel height when you remeasure the toad bumber heights.
Old 09-02-2010, 08:52 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

I was thinking like SuperGewl - the front of the toad is being lifted somehow.

We towed two Chevy Trackers a total of 65k miles and never had a tire wear problem, front or rear.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 09:53 AM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Tire pressures? Under inflation can cause premature wear. Maybe running the rears slightly overinflated when towing would help extend mileage. Then remember to reduce the pressures when ready to drive away.
Vegasdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 10:36 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
He says that the problem existed with two vehicles, so I doubt that alignment is the issue. I would recheck the hookup. Is it level? To early in my experience to know the answers but your post would make me look there. Do you tow with brakes? If so are the breaks braking evenly?
Old 09-02-2010, 01:54 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
run2: What is the difference (in inches) from the MH receiver and the Blue Ox attaching points on the GV?
In order to lift the front, as properly suggested, you must be exceeding the allowable height difference way too much. Generally it is 4 (four) inches. The towed vehicle must be level or lower than the MH receiver.
Are you using the same base plate that was on the Geo???

Kerry
Old 09-02-2010, 06:08 PM   #11

I had a new base plate put on my 06 Suzuki when I bought it. I will measure the height of the tow bar in relation to the coach and toad. I just eyeballed it but will put a tapemeasure on it when I hookup again in a few days. I am guessing that I more then likley have to purchase a drop hitch to get more nearly level. Thanks to you that have posted, it looks like that may be my problem.