Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-23-2016, 12:25 PM   #1

Toad requirement with Class B or B+

Want some opinions on owners with b+ rv's such as LTV MB, Winnie View etc. if a toad is really required. How is parking, getting around town, fast food joints, sightseeing etc?
We are currently in a smaller class A, 32 ft. and have been doing the car rental thing, but that can be irritating when reservations go bad.
I am not really interested in a toad as I don't want to buy a car of a make model etc that I don't really like, then spend another $3,000 for tow plates, bars, brake systems lights, insurance etc. I am trying to just have one vehicle that we can load up and go.
I am not sure that the true class b's would be large enough.
Any input or thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-23-2016, 01:14 PM   #2

IMHO, a toad can be anything, even the car you have now, but how it can be towed would be a better question. Some vehicles can be towed by simply connecting a tow bar and going, others must be placed on a dolly or trailer. And I guess nowdays there are brakes required in some states, although we've never had them for in excess of 200k uneventful miles, except when towing heavier trailers. We've towed a Suzuki Samurai, Geo tracker, and Geo Metro, all light economical vehicles behind our Cummins powered TC for about 15 years and will continue with the 454 powered Flair MH we recently purchased. I don't know how your MH compares, but I would think it would be adequate, especially with a lighter toad.

Again, IMHO, the toad would only be required if the RV is two large to maneuver in some of the areas one would choose to go. Our TC is only about the length of a crew cab pickup and therefore can go just about anyplace, and we have used it that way many times. However, if it is set up for camping it is much more convenient to have a toad to run around in and leave the RV in place. It is also generally more economical to run around in a toad than a MH.

I'm a DIY person which does affect decisions when cost is a major consideration.

Best of luck.

Steve

Old 01-23-2016, 01:27 PM   #3

It's been a while since I had either a B or small C class sometimes known as a B+. When I had my Winnebago Rialta we did not tow and getting around was OK. I could go most anywhere a big SUV could go. Hated having to break camp just to go to the store. We too have done the rental thing and as stated can be a hassle. Went one place and there were no car rental places, and only one cab. I have moved into the camp of towing is the better way to go.

When we get our new MH in the spring, we will have my Sonic setup to tow. I've bought the tow bar (new), and braking system (used) off of eBay and will have the base plate and wiring done at the point we pickup the MH. I will plan to keep the Sonic a long time...
2013 Chevy Sonic Hatchback (Automatic)
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 01:29 PM   #4

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
When we had a Type B MH we just used it for whatever, in fact I drove it to work daily for several years.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 05:41 PM   #5

I'm sort of in the same predicament. Ours is only 24' 8" and is really nice length, but who wants to break camp to go somewhere? Rental doesn't always work so towing makes sense, but like you said the expense of the car, tow equipment, insurance etc can be a deal breaker. At 32 feet though that seems too long for me not to have something.
Old 01-24-2016, 12:38 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
We have a 2008 Winnebago view. 24 feet. We have found it to be just fine for day trips and camping without a toad. Travel to town isn't much of a biggie and the narrower nature of these sprinter-based coaches is nice for parking. To make breaking camp less of an issue, I have a cable with a lock that lets me tether camp chairs and such at the site without any worry of theft.

We do have a 2003 Chevy Tracker and all of the gear to tow it but only ever do so if we are camping in the mountains or at the beach and are going off of the pavement where 4x4 is handy. I already had that tow gear from a different RV setup. We did the Southern Oregon coast, Redwoods, SFO Bay Area, Yosemite and back to Portland without a toad.

Each to his/her own. There's no wrong way of doing this but the smaller motorhomes do indeed make it more possible to not bring a 2nd vehicle.
wanderso is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 05:39 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Kjtrot, you don't say how many people "we" are. Buying a MH is about floorplan and amenities, such as tank size and external storage, to suit the people in it. Since you have a Precept, it can't be very old. I bet it would cost you a lot more to trade your current RV in for a class B/C than the $3K you think it would take to have a toad. You may want to run the $ numbers to see what makes more sense.
Rockwood27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 06:00 AM   #8

We are parked next to a couple that use their class B to tow a TT. They use the B to shop, sightsee, and an occasional overnighter. They like it.
Old 01-24-2016, 09:25 AM   #9

Thanks for all of the expert advise. The "WE" is just two of us since trying out the 32ft rv for a season. It might just have been a mistake. The idea of towing with a dolly or tow bar are not very exciting to me.

The idea of losing a good bit of money on a just about new class A is not very comforting either.

Neither of my current vehicles, Dodge Durango & Prius are capable of four down towing.
Thanks again
Old 01-24-2016, 08:35 PM   #10

Freightliner Owners Club
kjtrot: Welcome to IRV2

I had 31 and 36 foot Class A's and always used a TOAD. Last June I traded for the Siesta Sprinter class C (24') and although it is rigged for towing and my Suzuki is an excellent TOAD, I just have not found a need for it. On a trip to Niagara I rented a car for 2 days to visit in Canada. (easier to get through customs) The Siesta is small enough to park at stores, driveways and even on the street.
I only tow the car now if I drop the MH off at the dealers, and luckily than has seldom been necessary.
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 09:05 PM   #11

You might reconsider a tow dolly. Considering you already have invested in your present RV and have a Prius (which I believe is dolly towable), a decent dolly like an EZ Tow is around $1800, less if you can find a used one. It's not as much of a pain as many imply. I get my CRV set up in about 15 minutes by myself, faster if the wife drives it up on the ramps. If it turns out you don't like the EZ Tow I think it would be very easy to sell and you'd lose very little money.

My neighbor has a sprinter Class B like you're describing. He and his wife like it a lot, especially as they use it to tour around once they get to a destination.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjtrot View Post
Thanks for all of the expert advise. The "WE" is just two of us since trying out the 32ft rv for a season. It might just have been a mistake. The idea of towing with a dolly or tow bar are not very exciting to me.

The idea of losing a good bit of money on a just about new class A is not very comforting either.

Neither of my current vehicles, Dodge Durango & Prius are capable of four down towing.
Thanks again
Old 01-25-2016, 08:29 AM   #12

Thanks for the input.
I might have to re think the EZE tow dolly as I have seen the video with a Prius as the example.
Just trying to get around the storage aspect with the storage lot and where to place during the winter. A dolly this wide will not go through my 8 ft. garage door.

I think the trade idea for a class b+ will cost prohibitive this soon.
Old 01-25-2016, 08:49 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I've dolly towed our Prius (and Ford Focus) often on our Master Tow dolly. It is 8 1/2 feet wide. It would stick out 6 inches on each side of a View. It would stick out about 3 inches on each side of some of the other Class B+ Sprinter based MH.
Rockwood27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 05:09 AM   #14

Tow dollies are wide, the EZ Tow is 102 inches wide, so its about 6 inches wider than your garage door. But if you can angle it into the garage, you can stand it on end like I do in my garage to store.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjtrot View Post
Thanks for the input.
I might have to re think the EZE tow dolly as I have seen the video with a Prius as the example.
Just trying to get around the storage aspect with the storage lot and where to place during the winter. A dolly this wide will not go through my 8 ft. garage door.

I think the trade idea for a class b+ will cost prohibitive this soon.

Tags
toad