Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-06-2011, 03:27 PM   #1

Toad Road Protection

Has anyone had experience towing a vehicle behind a motorhome equipped with a rear mounted full width stone/mud guard (i.e. RockSolid etc.) ? When driving with this attached to the motorhome , does it affect the MPG of the motorhome because of the additional wind drag ? I am contemplating something like this when towing my Equinox, Is there a preference between Solid vs Strips vs Brush types ?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-06-2011, 04:29 PM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
We have towed about 100,000 miles with gas motorhomes that only had mud flaps right behind the wheels. We have now done about 11,000 miles with a DP with a solid guard right in front of the hitch. We have never noticed one ding from towing on any of our toads. They also get equally filthy while being towed!

Cousin Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 04:35 PM   #3

Hey Ron,
We have a gas'r with both mud flaps directly behind the rear duals and a full length solid rock guard. When entering Yellowstone's east entrance, we ran a length of 'chipped' surface at 35mph. The rock guard didn't help one iota and it's mounted almost 4 inches above the road surface. I'm still picking small chips out of crevasses in the Jeep. After our next big trip, I'll have to replace the windshield as well.

I just bought (haven't installed as yet) one of these to help eliminate the problem. I can't comment on the brush or strip type of guards. Bob

RIP 'Squeaky'
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 11:16 PM   #4
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Ron......First make sure that you have a set of rubber flaps directly behind the rear wheels, as close to the tire as possible. Make sure this flap is no more than 3/4" to 1" off of the ground. Since it mounts right at the tire, it won't drag when going in and out of driveways because there is no angle change.

The brush type mudflaps are like brooms. They'll sweep everything up from the ground. If you decide on a solid flap, you'll have to experiment with the height. You'll want to get it as close to the ground as possible without it touching during dips at 25 mph or better. It also has to not be a problem when parking and leveling.

Our coach has the flaps behind the tires and the large mudflap. I tow a pick-up truck and use a bra that covers the front end and hood, but allows the hood to open. I only use the bra when towing the truck. We've had no damage to either of our tow vehicles. Since mine is a rear radiator DP, the truck is a mess after a long drive.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 06:25 AM   #5

Does the full width affect gas mileage ?
Old 04-07-2011, 10:53 AM   #6

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron MB View Post
I was told once you pull a toad with a motorhome that you are no longer allowed to be concerned with fuel usage!
fkloster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 11:30 AM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by fkloster View Post
I was told once you pull a toad with a motorhome that you are no longer allowed to be concerned with fuel usage!
Or just driving the coach. We have flaps behind the rear duals and a slotted full width rock guard. Our Jeep isn't getting chipped up any more than it would driving it down the road. We do have a grill "bra" that I had custom made to cover just the grill opening to keep from filling the radiator full of dirt.
Vegasdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 11:32 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Gas mileage for our Motorhomes are terrible. If your worried about GPM then you should look at traveling some other way. Adding a mud flap would not really effect your mileage much if at all. I know of no one that figures mileage with or without a mud flap. Towing a vehicle will effect your mileage. Then you should look at how you wish to get around, once you park the Motorhome, drive your MH all over town or take out a tow car. Most all folks opt to towing and using the car to get around with.
Stevegd007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 12:01 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Here's my two and a half cents: I have never used anything to "protect" the toad until we went to Alaska in 09. I purchased a "Protect-a-Tow." You attach eye hooks on on the front of the car and the rear of the motorhome and stretch a fabric between the two vehicles. The fabric runs perpendicular to the ground. Anyway, we drove from Tennessee to Alaska without using the Protect-a-Tow. The vehicle got filthy driving thru mud, gravel and dirt, but had virtually no damage. For the trip home when departing Fairbanks, I hooked up the Protect-a-Tow. We drove thru lots of rain, mud and dust. The toad was worse than the way north. There was dirt and dust in the engine, the door jambs, the glove box, trunk and every other crevice. The thing concentrated the direction of all the junk flying through the air, and I drive real slow. So, that was the last time I used it and have no plans to replace it with anything else, just going to make sure the mud flaps are in good shape and I drive according to conditions.
CoastieSCPO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 12:13 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If you have a Roadmaster Tow System, check out their Tow Defender. I've used mine for 4 years. My Voyage has no big ugly flap on the back. The Toad that I just traded had over 20000 miles towing and no more chips than normal driving. It's a no-brainer to install and takes about a minute to hook up.
Old 04-08-2011, 06:34 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron MB View Post
Anything exposed to the wind will affect drag...how much? I doubt it would be measurable. AFAICT, towing our Jeep causes no more than a 1.5 mpg drop, so the rock guard would not be notable, IMO. Bob

RIP 'Squeaky'
Old 04-08-2011, 09:44 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by scenic route View Post
Anything exposed to the wind will affect drag...how much? I doubt it would be measurable. AFAICT, towing our Jeep causes no more than a 1.5 mpg drop, so the rock guard would not be notable, IMO. Bob
OMG Bob!
Does that mean that I can look forward to a whole 5mpg now? Oh well, the fun with the Jeep more than makes up for it!
Bruce
Old 04-08-2011, 09:57 PM   #13

We use the "Coastline" tow car shield, a bit time consuming putting it on and and removing it though. Here's their website: Coastline Cover Company: Tow Car Shields

Good luck with your choice...

2000 Residency 3790 v10 w/tags 5 Star tune & Banks system Suzuki XL7 toad
LVJ58 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 07:12 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finhawk View Post
OMG Bob!
Does that mean that I can look forward to a whole 5mpg now? Oh well, the fun with the Jeep more than makes up for it!
Bruce
LOL! Yeah Bruce, it can get pretty ugly...that 1.5 mpg drop WAS in the mountains. We have gotten as much as 8.5 mpg while towing on the flats. At any rate, we don't leave home without IT! Bob

RIP 'Squeaky'