Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-12-2010, 03:11 PM   #1

Toad road rash question

I am a newbie at towing a toad and am wondering how much damage from road debris I can expect to occur on the front of my Tacoma toad with out any tow shields. Also, I am thinking of going with a Roadmaster Defender, like a tonneau cover over the tow bars, but it is another $450. Would this be a poor choice to skip this item or will my truck get thrashed without it?

Thanks, Mike
aber4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-12-2010, 03:27 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I haven't done an enormous amount of Toad towing for lengthy trips. Mostly short trips, and it really depends on the road conditions that you plan to travel on.

However, when the time comes to give up my trailer and just haul the Toad, I plan to invest in a front tow shield from Coastline Cover. They are custom fitted to your vehicle and protect the vehicle from the front underside all the way to the top of your windshield.

Here's their web site.

Coastline Cover Company: Tow Car Shields

They are $360 plus shipping and they offer mirror covers at $20 for a pair.

Dr4Film ----- Richard.
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 03:27 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Aber, I've been towing for years and have never noticed any damage to my Toad. I have noticed that the toad and tow bar get very dirty. If you have mud flaps on your mh, you shouldn't have any problems.
Old 02-12-2010, 04:20 PM   #4
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
I've towed fulltime for over 3 years with zero damage.

I have a solid full width mudflap on my MH, but secret is to have it high enough off the ground that it doesn't contact the road when driving.

When it contacts the road, that's when it kicks up stones.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 04:43 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
I haven't done an enormous amount of Toad towing for lengthy trips. Mostly short trips, and it really depends on the road conditions that you plan to travel on.

However, when the time comes to give up my trailer and just haul the Toad, I plan to invest in a front tow shield from Coastline Cover. They are custom fitted to your vehicle and protect the vehicle from the front underside all the way to the top of your windshield.

Here's their web site.

Coastline Cover Company: Tow Car Shields

They are $360 plus shipping and they offer mirror covers at $20 for a pair.

Dr4Film ----- Richard.
The only thing I am concerned about with this cover is if the front end has any sand, dirt,etc on it, what does this do if if slides any at all while traveling? I would be afraid of deep scratches. We have towed our CRV for 2 years without any issues.
journey15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 05:04 PM   #6

Coastline Cover. We've done hundreds of miles on gravel in Canada and Alaska and this covers radiator, grill, bumper, and windshield. I can put it on or take it off in about 3-4 minutes and NO PAINT DAMAGE from the cover or road debris in over 60,000 pulled miles

John
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 05:15 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We've towed a vehicle behind this motorhome for about 35K miles, including two month-long trips out West. No damage to the toad/s. Lot's of dust and grundge, especially if it rains but no visible rock chips, etc.

We have mud flaps behind the coach rear wheels and a full length flap hung at the very rear of the coach. As noted, that flap must be hung so it does not make contact with the ground at speed.
Old 02-13-2010, 07:48 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Again, it really depends on the type of roads you will most likely be using. If they are good solid paved roads without a lot of debris to be picked up and thrown into your Toad, most likely the Toad will be fine. However, if you will be using the RV and Toad on off-road's, making a trip to Alaska, or other places where the roads are not that good, then the long mudflap mounted in the back won't help you much.

Dr4Film ----- Richard.
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 11:24 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Toad Rash

I agree with smlranger's post and a rear mud flap is a must and it should not touch the ground plus there should be flaps behind the wheels.. I have towed for 5 years now and do not have any problems with the toad. If you are concerned about the Toad even with the flap then look into RV Road Wrap which is a plastic film that you put on the toad and then remove it with no problems. I am going to Alaska ans am going to use it on the front of the RV and the front of the toad just in case plus it is also good for bugs. They have a website at: www buyroadwrap.com.
Lastly a friend of mine has a guard that is between the RV and the toad under the towbar which you might want to check out. Good Luck.
Tom-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 11:44 AM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
We have towed about 95,000 miles with no damage to our toads. They get very dirty but never a chip. We have only had Winnebago original mud flaps.
Cousin Ed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 05:31 PM   #11

We have a couple chips on the front of our toad, but I can't say if it's from towin' or drivin'.. I don't have the patience to deal with one of those toad protectors. I like to 'hook up 'n go'..
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 04:01 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

We've towed for years, several months every year, with no noticeable damage. I don't think you need any protection on standard US highways. Only time we used a shield was going to Alaska - gravel roads are tough on everything!
Gary RVRoamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 01:21 PM   #13

Thanks for all the helpful replies. I think I'll take my chances with no shield for the first trip, in March, from Palm Springs to the Grand Canyon then up to Washington State for the summer. Now I have to get busy and install my US Gear Unified Tow Brake in my Tacoma toad! Should be an interesting install. One Vendor quoted 13 hours! I can see it taking a day the first time, I'll let you know how it turns out.
Thanks again for all your help,
Mike
aber4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 05:00 PM   #14

have towed 3 different toads and everyone received damage. have used full width rock guard on the motorhome and rock guard on toad. the damage was not seen until i started driving into the sun, then lots of shinny stars appeared in the windshield. all driving was on paved roads.
tom wilson is offline   Reply With Quote