Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-01-2016, 09:04 AM   #1

Toad Rock Chip Protection

We will pick up our new (used) dp in a couple of weeks and tow with an Acme dolly. We towed with a Demco dolly (with chip deflector) several years ago. The Acme dolly doesn't have a chip deflector option. Because of the dp exhaust position, the Protect-A-Tow is not viable.
We will appreciate any suggestions/recommendations to protect our toad from rock chips.
Airlifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-01-2016, 02:25 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
You could divert the exhaust more to the side as one option. Another is to hang a skirt from the rear bumper or behind the rear wheels, but don't let it hang low enough to sweep the road, that'll just flip up more road debris.

Not all that sure that a shield is needed, the auto's front should sit high enough on the dolly and close enough to the RV rear that few rocks will be flying high enough to strike the car's paint.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 02:33 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I know this does not answer your question. However; BFLINN is on the money. I pulled a brand new KIA on an ACME for 12,000 miles never got a mark on it. If your new Acme has the new 12 inch tires versus the original 8 inch should be even better.
Old 07-01-2016, 05:38 PM   #4

Don't do What I Did

I bought a La bra to cover the front of my Prius when towing thinking that this would protect from rock chips. The good news is that I didn't get any damage from rock chips. The bad news is that we traveled through some very dusty areas and encountered some rain on our trip. When I took the bra off after we got back, the dirt that got under the bra did a number on the clear coat much worse than an occasional rock chip. The damage was likely caused by relative movement of the cover and the car. I do not recommend using a bra.
AnBfromDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 06:51 PM   #5

Freightliner Owners Club
We have towed more than 75,000 miles with just the OE mud flaps behind the drive tires and the much maligned "hula skirt" across the rear of the MH without any noticeable damage from rocks or road debris. Road dust and dirt, yes, but a good car wash takes care of that.
FleetMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 10:26 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brockx View Post
I know this does not answer your question. However; BFLINN is on the money. I pulled a brand new KIA on an ACME for 12,000 miles never got a mark on it. If your new Acme has the new 12 inch tires versus the original 8 inch should be even better.
Have you ever driven on a highway that was recently chip-sealed? Thanks.
BobMontgomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 10:47 AM   #7

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobMontgomer View Post
I have, many times over many summers of living and driving in Wyoming. I slow down to under 30 mph and stay to the far right side of the road to reduce windshield damage.

Bob & Donna
Old 07-02-2016, 11:09 AM   #8
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I tried a new product (new to me) on the front of my CRV last trip. We tow four down. The product is called "Road Wrap".https://www.amazon.com/Road-Wrap-18-...ords=Road+Wrap

It's basically a roll of clear plastic wrap that is sticky on one. It's not as thick as the 3M film on the front of a coach, but much thicker than something like "Saran" wrap. I take a minute to make sure the painted area I want to protect is clean and then stick one edge of the wrap on the side of the car and pull it across to the other side. Press it down and I'm down. It comes in a 100' roll. If you intend to drive your car at a one night stop, but want to leave the wrap on, just cut out a section in the grill so you get air flow. Once you get to your destination, remove it and throw it away.

So far it's working well and the plastic is thick enough to deter rock dings.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 02:51 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
I have, many times over many summers of living and driving in Wyoming. I slow down to under 30 mph and stay to the far right side of the road to reduce windshield damage.
What kind of dolly do you have and what kind of VW and where in WY did you live? Thanks.
Old 07-02-2016, 02:58 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Yeah, got a chipped windshield on the MH.
Old 07-02-2016, 03:19 PM   #11

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
What kind of dolly do you have and what kind of VW and where in WY did you live? Thanks.
For many summers I lived on a ranch outside Dubois teaching environmental science at Miami University (OH) field geology station. I drove students in and round the Yellowstone/Tetons ecosystem. I tow 4 down, but I've used a dolly in the past.

Bob & Donna
Old 07-02-2016, 03:51 PM   #12

I ditched the "Ad-Flap". Problem solved

Dave and Nola, RV Mutants
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 10:25 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
For many summers I lived on a ranch outside Dubois teaching environmental science at Miami University (OH) field geology station. I drove students in and round the Yellowstone/Tetons ecosystem. I tow 4 down, but I've used a dolly in the past.
Did you dolly a VW New Beetle? What kind of dolly? Thanks.

Tags
toad