Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-21-2016, 06:29 PM   #1

Toad Rock Guard vs. Screen Shield.

Does anyone have experience with using a Soft Screen Shield between the toad and MH verses using a rigid Rock Guard mounted on the toad front? Or do most people use both? We replaced our 1995 Wrangler with a new Jeep Cherokee and would prefer to minimize damage from road debris and dirt.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-21-2016, 07:52 PM   #2

A horizontal rock guard would be worth a try. Personally, I removed my rock guard and don't use anything. Works fine. I believe rock guards are the cause of rocks. I know this is not the common answer but I know other RVers with the same thought. Rock Guards look good but I believe they are the cause of rocks hitting the toad. And I boondock mostly, so am off of pavement a lot.

Old 08-21-2016, 08:26 PM   #3

I now use a screen shield instead of the big plastic guard in front of my car. I have had it for 2 years and like the screen better. Seems to protect better and is easier to setup.
Old 08-21-2016, 08:37 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeTheWay View Post
A horizontal rock guard would be worth a try. Personally, I removed my rock guard and don't use anything. Works fine. I believe rock guards are the cause of rocks. I know this is not the common answer but I know other RVers with the same thought. Rock Guards look good but I believe they are the cause of rocks hitting the toad. And I boondock mostly, so am off of pavement a lot.
By Rock Guard, I assume you are referring to the full width mud flap at the rear of the coach.
Yes, I agree with you. I removed mine on our way to Alaska due to the toad being covered in little stones every day. At the time I had a solid rock guard. Pthat sits on the tow bar. The stones would come off the mud flap and over the rock guard onto the toad. The ones that didn't go over, bounced off the rock guard and into the back of the coach causing stone chips to the rear of the coach.
Since removing the big flap, I don't use any so called protection devices at all and find zero stone chips to the toad and it stays much cleaner since the flap does not stir up the loose debris off the road.
The only flap required is the two directly behind the rear duals installed so they just clear the ground when the air bags are dumped.
I know you find this hard to swallow but it is a proven fact.

To see it for yourself, have someone drive your coach down the highway and you follow close behind and watch what comes off that flap each time there is a dip in the pavement.
Old 08-21-2016, 08:46 PM   #5

No issues after I got rid of the Ad-Flap.

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 10:01 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcurt23 View Post
I now use a screen shield instead of the big plastic guard in front of my car. I have had it for 2 years and like the screen better. Seems to protect better and is easier to setup.

I also use a screen, the Roadmaster one that connects between the RV and the tow car. So far, not a single chip on the CRV! It very easy t install and use. It rolls up on the back of the RV for storage and simply clips onto the tow bar when towing.
Old 08-21-2016, 10:04 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Toad Rock Guard vs. Screen Shield.

Here's a photo of our Toe Defender:

Old 08-22-2016, 09:26 AM   #8
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I use the UltraGuard solid rubber flap on the rear of the MH placed 6" from the ground, and the Protect-A-Tow mesh shield between the MH and toad. I feel that is the very best protection I can have. Never had a ding on the toad so far!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 09:41 AM   #9
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by macnut View Post
Here's a photo of our Toe Defender:

That shield leaves a space between the shield and the toad! Looks like rocks could bounce up through the opening. The Protect-A-Tow extends under the front of the toad for complete protection.

Old 08-22-2016, 09:47 AM   #10
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
This is what my setup looks like!

Old 08-22-2016, 11:34 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
That looks really good, mshappycampers. I have to say though, that even though there is a gap on the Roadmaster tow defender, I have yet to get a single paint chip (Knock on wood!) after 3 years of driving! :-))
Old 08-23-2016, 05:36 AM   #12

Thanks everyone for all of the great experience based advice. I will try either the Roadmaster or Protect a tow screen without the ridged big plastic guard on the toad.
Old 08-23-2016, 05:46 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Joe,
your's looks better made than mine !

Maybe they made them narrower/skinnier by the time I bought it ?!?

I do know the clipped rod to hold up the sides is too 'flimsy' as mine has almost bent into a pretzel
This pic was after the first trip - it's much worse now, will probably build my own
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-09-03 001 - Copy.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	463.2 KB
ID:	136835  
Old 08-23-2016, 07:22 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Here is one more option, the attached pic is not very good, MH in for repairs.
I like many others have tried different things and have concluded the best we can hope for dealing with debris is knock it to the ground as soon as you can.
I installed a second set of mud flaps about "24 back from the OEM mounted mud flaps. No more rocks and the engine compartment seems to stay cleaner.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1471958513159.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	102.8 KB
ID:	136843  

Skilletface is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scr, toad