Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-09-2017, 11:09 AM   #1

Toad running lights

I recently had a wiring kit installed on my Jeep Cherokee for connecting the electrics to the motor home - brake lights turn signals - that sort of thing. Everything works on the toad when activated from the MH except the toad running lights. The MH has running lights showing when the MH lights are on. The Jeep has running lights showing when the Jeep lights are on.

What could be causing the Jeep running lights not to show when in tow status?

My only thoughts are a bad cable from the toad to the MH or a bad connector on either the toad or the MH, or both. How would I check that possibility?
1sttimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-09-2017, 11:25 AM   #2

Only the tail lights work with power from the rv. The side markers, etc. are not on the circuit.

On edit, I should say, at least that is the way it worked on both of my toads. Even the amber turn signals don't activate. Just the red tail lights are powered, and they work in tail light mode, brake light mode and flash with turn signals.
Old 05-09-2017, 11:29 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
I would start by checking the connector at the MH. Use a 12v test light and check each connection point. Be sure to ground the test light. Turn on the running lights on the MH and if you have nothing at the connector the problem is on the MH side. If you have voltage on the MH side then plug in the toad connector and probe the same connection on it that worked on the MH. If no light there the problem is in the connector or wiring in the connector. If you get light there you will need to probe the wire at each connector until you lose the light and you have found your problem. Not knowing exactly what was installed there may be some electronics involved that could have a problem but this method should at least eliminate a wiring problem to the module or whatever.
1995 Warrior
Hufficon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 11:40 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Zeb's answer is right for a lot of later model vehicles. I would check to see if that is the case on yours before you start troubleshooting what might not be a problem. On my 97 model the running lights work with the MH. What kind of kit did you install? Just curious I had to build mine.
1995 Warrior
Hufficon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 12:27 PM   #5

I tow a 2007 Grand Cherokee and as mentioned earlier, only taillights, brake lights, rear turn signals are functional when towing.

I don't see any need for the front marker lights on the toad when towing, but I must say I have always been surprised that it is legal for the license plate to not be illuminated when towing.
tkcas01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 10:37 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by znt1186 View Post
Only the tail lights work with power from the rv. The side markers, etc. are not on the circuit.

On edit, I should say, at least that is the way it worked on both of my toads. Even the amber turn signals don't activate. Just the red tail lights are powered, and they work in tail light mode, brake light mode and flash with turn signals.
Perhaps I should have said tail lights rather than running lights. To be more clear, at night I should have the rear lights burning on the Jeep when the MH headlights are on. At present, the rear Jeep lights are dark while the MH rear lights are lit with the MH headlights on.
Old 05-10-2017, 05:23 PM   #7

Are you wired to your existing tail lights on your Cherokee or did you install an additional bulb?

If you wired to your existing tail lights then in addition to all of the above, the diodes for the tail lights might be installed backwards.

If you had a module installed to convert from 6 or 7 wire connectors to your lights then the module could be faulty. The first module I installed on my toad was faulty out of the box.

I used the Roadmaster wiring kit on my Jeep Liberty and added a small LED near the license plate for night time illumination. I attached the LED to the tail light circuit.
2000 Country Coach Magna 40' Indulgence, CAT C10, #5892
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
phays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 10:58 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hufficon View Post
I would start by checking the connector at the MH. Use a 12v test light and check each connection point. Be sure to ground the test light. Turn on the running lights on the MH and if you have nothing at the connector the problem is on the MH side. If you have voltage on the MH side then plug in the toad connector and probe the same connection on it that worked on the MH. If no light there the problem is in the connector or wiring in the connector. If you get light there you will need to probe the wire at each connector until you lose the light and you have found your problem. Not knowing exactly what was installed there may be some electronics involved that could have a problem but this method should at least eliminate a wiring problem to the module or whatever.
Thanks. I had that in mind but hadn't gotten around to it. I'll try tomorrow.
Old 05-10-2017, 11:05 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hufficon View Post
Zeb's answer is right for a lot of later model vehicles. I would check to see if that is the case on yours before you start troubleshooting what might not be a problem. On my 97 model the running lights work with the MH. What kind of kit did you install? Just curious I had to build mine.
I corrected myself on an earlier post but I don't know what happened to it. I was really referring to tail lights and not running lights.

I had Camping World do the wiring kit install and I never saw it. It was a typical kit that has a 7-wire connector followed by wiring that goes to the rear lights to make the brake lights, turn signals and tail lights work when being towed.
Old 05-10-2017, 11:17 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by phays View Post
Are you wired to your existing tail lights on your Cherokee or did you install an additional bulb?

If you wired to your existing tail lights then in addition to all of the above, the diodes for the tail lights might be installed backwards.

If you had a module installed to convert from 6 or 7 wire connectors to your lights then the module could be faulty. The first module I installed on my toad was faulty out of the box.

I used the Roadmaster wiring kit on my Jeep Liberty and added a small LED near the license plate for night time illumination. I attached the LED to the tail light circuit.
I took a look at the rear lights and there was a loose wire but reconnecting the wire didn't help. There are 2 bulbs in the housing but only one is wired to the diodes which I believe is how the instructions describe.

I will do some checking on the connectors. If all else fails I will be going back to CW next week with both the coach and toad and will have the tech run it down.

Thanks to all.
Old 05-11-2017, 09:51 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
I had the same symptoms on my 2010 Sightseer. It was a 20 amp fuse in the underhood power control box. New fuse all fixed.
Hope this helps.
norcal01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 10:42 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by norcal01 View Post
I had the same symptoms on my 2010 Sightseer. It was a 20 amp fuse in the underhood power control box. New fuse all fixed.
Hope this helps.
Thanks Randy. I'll check that tomorrow. I'm assuming your talking about the MH box. I did check the MH umbilical port, and the umbilical itself, the best I could, and they both seemed to be OK. Is the fuse you reference specifically for the umbilical? I seem to have all the lights (brake, turn and tail) on the MH. It's just the tail lights on the toad that don't work. I'm really thinking it must be a connection in the tail assembly. I'll find out next week.

Tags
light, lights, toad