Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-14-2014, 02:05 PM   #15

Ready brake does not require any RV mod (see note below) and the toad install is very simple and requires no electrical connection to work. But if you are getting a Ready Brake I recommend the ready brute tow bar. It comes with the brake activation mechanism.

Your toad lights still need to be wired but NO mods on the RV side for the break, running or signal lights. Whatever cable you use for your toad, be it a 4 wire flat a 4 or 6 pin round, you can get an adapter to fit the 7 Pin RV connector. The wiring schematic is available on the internet

Ready brake is simple and it works.

I put a qualifier on the no RV hookup or electrical connection statement above. You can wire a line to the RV to let you know when the brake is on. I put LED lights on my toad windshield to monitor all toad light circuits. I view these through my rear view camera/ monitor combo. Good to know when the toad brakes come on but wiring back to the RV dash is simple also. You can do it either way or both ways. Or get a wireless alerting system.
Libero is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-16-2014, 01:26 PM   #16

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Thumbs up

Hey Bill in FL, Just a little,
I love your Toad I have been looking into buying one myself. They have a cool look and a great style. Is yours a Limited ? Is that like White Diamond Paint? or just white?.
If I do get one I will keep my karkaddySS that I already have/use.
Boy I think that would look nice behind "MY" MotorHome I just looked at one last week except it was in Fords new color, Kind of like Bronze/brownish color/ Chrome wheels, very Pretty.
Nice Toadf, Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 01:42 PM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Personally I would look into the Ready Brute towbar with the brake mechanism built in. If it wasn't so hard if near impossible to install on my ptCruiser I would have one. I'm NO advocate of the BB at all. I have one and had a major malfuntion on the way home from FL last year that burnt up the entire brake system on the car. Had it not been for the driving rain we drove thru the car wouldn't even be here. That said to the tune of $1100 for a complete brake system re-do and yes the BB was hooked up properly. (Electronic malfunction)
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 04:21 AM   #18

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by spritz View Post
Hey Bill in FL, Just a little,
I love your Toad I have been looking into buying one myself. They have a cool look and a great style. Is yours a Limited ? Is that like White Diamond Paint? or just white?.
If I do get one I will keep my karkaddySS that I already have/use.
Boy I think that would look nice behind "MY" MotorHome I just looked at one last week except it was in Fords new color, Kind of like Bronze/brownish color/ Chrome wheels, very Pretty.
Nice Toadf, Tim
That would be the OP's toad, not mine.
Bill in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 07:28 AM   #19

The more installation you do yourself the greater the savings. When we traded motor homes and car five year ago, CW said $3,000 to do all the set up. I passed on that. I bought a Roadmaster Falcon II on eBay for about $250 and the new base plates for about the same. I installed the base plates myself, about three hours and pulled wires for an added bulb socket in the tail light housing. So far my investment was a little over $500 and 4-5 hours labor. I bought a Patriot braking system on sale for about $1,000. At this point I had about $1,600 and five hours labor invested and it was a solid setup. Traded cars last fall and bought another Mazda Miata. The last toad was a Miata also. Base plates cost about $350 this time and it took about four hours for the install. Guess I am getting slow, but I had to remove more stuff for this install. Used diodes this time, so they cost about $20 plus wire. Moved the PIA Patriot system over. The BlueOX tow bars are generally a better looking setup, but I am very satisfied with the Falcon II. I would have bought the BlueOX if I could have gotten a similar deal on the purchase. Roadmaster posts their installation instructions on line so you could look them over to see if it is a project you could undertake. Their instructions are pretty good. Their time estimates suck, but again, I am slow. Good luck.
vraines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 07:57 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libero View Post
Ready brake does not require any RV mod (see note below) and the toad install is very simple and requires no electrical connection to work. But if you are getting a Ready Brake I recommend the ready brute tow bar. It comes with the brake activation mechanism.

Your toad lights still need to be wired but NO mods on the RV side for the break, running or signal lights. Whatever cable you use for your toad, be it a 4 wire flat a 4 or 6 pin round, you can get an adapter to fit the 7 Pin RV connector. The wiring schematic is available on the internet

Ready brake is simple and it works.

I put a qualifier on the no RV hookup or electrical connection statement above. You can wire a line to the RV to let you know when the brake is on. I put LED lights on my toad windshield to monitor all toad light circuits. I view these through my rear view camera/ monitor combo. Good to know when the toad brakes come on but wiring back to the RV dash is simple also. You can do it either way or both ways. Or get a wireless alerting system.
+1 for ReadyBrute Elite system. Works well, tow bar is light and easy to handle, all mechanical and does not rely on any fancy electronics. Also, probably the least expensive tow bar and brake system you will find.
Laker44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 08:33 AM   #21

The Blue Ox Aladdin tow bar with the AutoStop surge brake is a similar set up as the ReadyBrute Elite and is generally a little cheaper. The ReadyBrute Elite has a better warranty though. The Blue Ox BX8869 Bulb and Socket Tail Light Wiring Kit works well.
2013 Leisure Travel Vans Unity U24MB, 635 watts solar, 440 AH batteries, 2000 watt inverter, Koni struts and shocks, Hellwig rear anti-swaybar, SumoSprings front and back, 2012 Hyundai Accent SE, Blue Ox baseplates, Aladdin towbar and Patriot
jackfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 06:23 PM   #22

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill in FL View Post
That would be the OP's toad, not mine.
Okay thanks.
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 07:25 PM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
We recently purchased a 2012 Ford Flex and I went with the Roadmaster Falcon 2 tow bar because that is what I used on our 2008 Ford Escape Hybrid. For the Aux braking I went with the Roadmaster Brakemaster 9160 and love it! However, I don't think your coach has air brakes so you would have to go with the 9060 kit. For Aux lighting I used a harness from www.etrailer.com. If your Flex has a factory trailer hitch I think you can hook up the aux wiring under the hood!

I installed the tow bar brackets and Brakemaster myself. The Brakemaster was a little problem as I had to find a way to get the air line and etc inside the Flex but with the help of a few guys on Index page : Ford Flex Forum that were installing high amp cables for their audio systems I found a way in!

If you need some photos of how I ran lines to the inside of the Flex PM me. I am not sure I have them with me but I will be back home in a couple of weeks and can send them to you.

texnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 09:34 AM   #24

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Towbars, There are many, and near as I can tell not much to recommend one brand over another. I use Blue-OX (it is what my dealer carried).

Suggestion: Before you do anything. go to Remco Towing
Store : Remco

Enter the info, and the main frame lists everything you need. IF, that is the car is towable.

Brakes. If you decide on surge brakes, Ready Brute tow bar with Ready Brake.. Else, pick a tow bar and brake system...

I do not favor the box in the driver's seat systems (Even Brake, Brake Buddy And so on) as it's too easy to say "oh forget it" on a short trip.

Tags
advice, need help, toad