Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-14-2014, 07:42 AM   #1

TOAD setup advice - need help!

Bought a 2009 Flex Limited to tow behind my RV. Need advice as to what all I need to do this. I know it's going to be expensive but I don't want to waltz into Camping World and get taken advantage of because I don't know anything.

What all do I need and what are some good brands that work well for my FLEX. I'm leaning towards Roadmaster towbar and mounting brackets. Have no clue about aux breaking, wiring, etc...

Thanks a ton!
MikeLeonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-14-2014, 08:03 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
We have had three toads beginning in 2005. Our current toad, a Ford Escape, has the following:

- Roadmaster Falcon All-Terrain tow bar (have had it since 2005, no troubles)
- Roadmaster base plate (if you're handy, you can install yourself, instructions are great)
- Roadmaster Guardian Tow Shield (tried other protection, this one has been the best)
- Roadmaster InvisiBrake (SO easy to connect/disconnect, plus ties into vacuum system on toad for really great braking, getting it hooked up also takes care of toad lights for turn/brake/tail, all power from motorhome so no toad battery discharge)

Hope this helps. Good luck. BTW -nice toad!
SeeTheUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 08:22 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Roadmaster is what CW has. Ask them for a package price on base plate, Universal Wiring Kit with four Hy-Power Diodes, safety cable kit, tow bar, brake including install.

With your Flex weight of around 4,500 lb. near your tow limit.
The Falcon 2 tow bar should work.

For brakes their new InvisiBrake should work well.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 08:31 AM   #4

After lots of research I went with the Readybrute tow/brake system. Use the search function on this forum and you'll find lots of information and reviews, pretty much all will be positive. You might try calling companies in your area that make/market utility trailers. Most of those companies install tow hitches and systems. You may find a better deal with them than with a RV dealer.
AKJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 08:38 AM   #5

We tow a smart car weighs 1830 Lbs. Don't even know its back there. Lots of stares makes some people really angry because its odd looking and tiny. But 40mi to the gallon a/c all the comforts of home and when your inside it its like sitting in a full size car with plenty of panorama views.. Love this little guy..But it is an odd one...Oh CW connected ours up (complete out the door ) for 1600 dollars.. With $39.00 installation.(included in that price)
donandmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 08:55 AM   #6

Forest River Owners Club
I prefer the Roadmaster Brakemaster system because it is provides proportional braking rather than constant (or "progressive" as the Invisibrake info describes), and even more important if you have a diesel motorhome the InvisiBrake activates off the coach brake lights. That means the toad brakes will activate anytime the exhaust/engine brake activates. The InvisiBrake info has a caveat that it will deactivate after 15 seconds of continuous braking but that doesn't make me like it much better. I want toad braking ONLY when I am pressing the coach brake pedal.
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 09:05 AM   #7

Tow Bar: there are several good tow bars. Get one that is not very noticeable when not Hooked up. Mine is Blue Ox but there are others. Check the weight of the Flex to determine if you only need a 5K or 10K rating.
Brake system: Brake in a Box equals PIA. There are a couple on nice braking systems to consider. SMI, M&G, Universal (I think that's the name) are a few. Get on that uses the toads power braking system instead of just pushing on a dead pedal. I use SMI Stay in Play, I had a gasser befor my current Phaeton otherwise I would have gone with SMI's Air Force One.
Base Plate: I personally would keep the base plate brand the same as the tow bar brand. Either all Blue Ox, Road Master, etc...
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 09:21 AM   #8

Mike

You have received a lot of good comments and advice already but I thought I would complement what others have said.

I have only had Blue Ox baseplates for the past 20 years on several toads and have been overall pleased with the product. One thing I do like is once the towbar is removed, there is not a lot of evidence the vechicle is a toad, unless you are up close that is.

But others like Roadmaster and Demco. (Demco leaves little hanging out as well).

I have had 3 different braking syetems. The best was M&G, the second best Brake Master and the third Ready Brake. All work(ed) fine for the particular application. But there are other good ones recommended also.

Why M&G as the best. it like because it is fully proportional and there is nothing to insert inside the toad to get it operational as I did with the Brake Master.

One of my toads is a Smart Car and the Ready Brake works fine with it but there is some latency in activation just like any surge brake has.

Good to examine all options before you commit and indeed I would shop around for what is best for you but getting experienced people to do the base plate install is recommended.

For lights, I recommend using diodes to integrate with the existing lights vs seperate bulbs. this way you maximize the effectiveness of the fresnel lens properties.

good luck
Libero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 09:31 AM   #9

Thanks for all the great advice guys! Does anyone have an opinion on Brakebuddy? This is the one I'm considering:

BrakeBuddy Vantage Select Portable Auxiliary Braking System - Hopkins 30738 - Towed Vehicle Braking - Camping World

Btw, here's a pic of my toad:

Old 01-14-2014, 09:33 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFChap View Post
I prefer the Roadmaster Brakemaster system because it is provides proportional braking rather than constant (or "progressive" as the Invisibrake info describes), and even more important if you have a diesel motorhome the InvisiBrake activates off the coach brake lights. That means the toad brakes will activate anytime the exhaust/engine brake activates. The InvisiBrake info has a caveat that it will deactivate after 15 seconds of continuous braking but that doesn't make me like it much better. I want toad braking ONLY when I am pressing the coach brake pedal.
Good info . . . but to expand a bit, I do have a diesel motorhome although no exhaust brake (wish I did, but maybe as you've explained that would adversely impact my InvisiBrake . . . the OP would have to evaluate that issue). Regarding the 15-second thing with InvisiBrake, all you have to do when it times out (alert tells you when that happens), is let off the brake pedal momentarily and reapply them. The sequence starts again. Very rare, by the way, at least how I brake, to even have to deal with it at all.

The previous supplemental brake I had, a Roadmaster BrakePro, was a "proportional" device and worked fairly well when a large dose of toad braking was needed. However, since it wasn't tied into the toad's vacuum assist system, seems when it finally did brake it was pretty extreme. Sure did quickly wear out the toad's brake pads! I didn't like it.
SeeTheUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 09:37 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeLeonard View Post
Thanks for all the great advice guys! Does anyone have an opinion on Brakebuddy? This is the one I'm considering:

BrakeBuddy Vantage Select Portable Auxiliary Braking System - Hopkins 30738 - Towed Vehicle Braking - Camping World

Mike

BrakeBuddy = PITA from my perspective. I towed a friends Toad once that was equiped with one. A hassle to put in and then you have this box to store. But others don't mind the hassle. BB will also drain the toad battery unless you mitigate this.

but whatever works best for you
Libero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 09:46 AM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeLeonard View Post

Dragging that in and out of the toad will become a real pain in the rear. Consider a built in system that integrates with your toad brake system. M&G, SMI, and the invisi-brake should be on your short list of options.
Bill in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 10:26 AM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have a brake buddy. Works well but gets old dragging it in and out. I have a readybbrake waiting an available Saturday for me to install.

I suggest you look at the ready brute / ready brake combo.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 10:44 AM   #14

The reason I'm considering a portable braking system (BrakeBuddy) is because it needs no installation on the RV. My RV is at my father in laws house in Tifton, GA and my toad is at my house in Jacksonville, FL.

Is there a built in system for my toad that doesn't require any messing with the RV?

Thanks again guys, this forum is awesome.

Tags
advice, need help, toad