Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-16-2006, 06:29 AM   #1

When I read a news release on the new Edge back in May of this year - they were very explicit about the new transmission design accomodating 4 down towing. Special lube drip tray and all. Here is what they released on that date:

05/04/06

I ran accross this information in the following article and thought you guys would like to know this.

2007 Ford Edge Info

2007 Edge

EDGE'S ALL-NEW 265-HP V-6, 6-SPEED DELIVER IMPRESSIVE PERFORMANCE AND SUPERIOR FUEL ECONOMY

All-new, refined 265-hp 3.5-liter V-6 with variable cam timing and electronic throttle control delivers engaging performance

Class-exclusive 6-speed automatic provides smooth operation and good fuel economy (expected mid 20s in highway driving)

Dingy Tow Compatibility Allows for Ease in Flat Towing

Customers who wish to flat tow their vehicles behind a motor home or camper have been limited to 4x4 vehicles that feature a transfer case with a neutral setting. The 6F features a unique technology that allows for flat towing without adversely affecting the transmission. A gravity-drip tray, mounted on top of the gearsets, collects the lubricant as it's splashed up on the transmission. As the vehicle is being towed, lubricant drips slowly from the tray onto the gearsets, continuing to lubricate the transmission.

"It's an elegant innovation," says Ram Krishnaswami, manager, 6F transmission. "It is a very simple piece of technology that works remarkably well."

Now ---- since the vehicle is available - I have e-mailed Ford customer service for "confirmation" on the 4 down towing of the Edge. All they (customer service) does it double talk. They will NOT confirm or deny it. I even submitted the above release to them - they ignored it. I asked directly about the statement that their man (Ram Krishnaswami)made on this subject. They still ignored it.

Their response was - it is not towable 4 down. But to make sure one should seek the advise of their expert technicians at the dealerships.

After receiving 5 e-mail responses - each one from a different customer service person - I mailed (snail mail) the specific question to the man himself - Ram Krishnaswami - at Ford Motor Company.

Think he will get the letter?

I hate Bull&^%$

Bill

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-16-2006, 06:29 AM   #2

When I read a news release on the new Edge back in May of this year - they were very explicit about the new transmission design accomodating 4 down towing. Special lube drip tray and all. Here is what they released on that date:

05/04/06

I ran accross this information in the following article and thought you guys would like to know this.

2007 Ford Edge Info

2007 Edge

EDGE'S ALL-NEW 265-HP V-6, 6-SPEED DELIVER IMPRESSIVE PERFORMANCE AND SUPERIOR FUEL ECONOMY

All-new, refined 265-hp 3.5-liter V-6 with variable cam timing and electronic throttle control delivers engaging performance

Class-exclusive 6-speed automatic provides smooth operation and good fuel economy (expected mid 20s in highway driving)

Dingy Tow Compatibility Allows for Ease in Flat Towing

Customers who wish to flat tow their vehicles behind a motor home or camper have been limited to 4x4 vehicles that feature a transfer case with a neutral setting. The 6F features a unique technology that allows for flat towing without adversely affecting the transmission. A gravity-drip tray, mounted on top of the gearsets, collects the lubricant as it's splashed up on the transmission. As the vehicle is being towed, lubricant drips slowly from the tray onto the gearsets, continuing to lubricate the transmission.

"It's an elegant innovation," says Ram Krishnaswami, manager, 6F transmission. "It is a very simple piece of technology that works remarkably well."

Now ---- since the vehicle is available - I have e-mailed Ford customer service for "confirmation" on the 4 down towing of the Edge. All they (customer service) does it double talk. They will NOT confirm or deny it. I even submitted the above release to them - they ignored it. I asked directly about the statement that their man (Ram Krishnaswami)made on this subject. They still ignored it.

Their response was - it is not towable 4 down. But to make sure one should seek the advise of their expert technicians at the dealerships.

After receiving 5 e-mail responses - each one from a different customer service person - I mailed (snail mail) the specific question to the man himself - Ram Krishnaswami - at Ford Motor Company.

Think he will get the letter?

I hate Bull&^%$

Bill

Old 12-16-2006, 06:55 AM   #3

I have been trying to locate more on this and finally did find this:

http://www.autoblog.com/2005/11/09/breaking-news-fords-...six-speed-automatic/

I don't know - but if I were the boss I would certainly be tempted to let the customer service department have a permanent vacation.

Bill
Old 12-16-2006, 04:33 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

GM's new 6 speed auto is also supposed to be flat-towable. It will be used in the GMC Acadia (due now in dealers) and the Saturn Aura (next year).
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 02:58 AM   #5

According to the news release from Ford on the F6 transmission - the Saturn Aura will have that transmission.

I wonder why they refuse to back up their earlier news release?

From what I have read - this new transmission was developed by Ford and GM together - both investing around 720 million in the project.

Merry Christmas and God Bless

Bill
Old 12-20-2006, 03:39 PM   #6

I phoned Ford on this very issue a few weeks ago since I wanted to be able to consider the Edge, Mk X and Mk Z. Asked them for a definitive answer. They called up the owners manuals and the answer is NO - not towable 4 down. It states clearly that the FWD must have the front wheels on a dolly and the AWD must have the entire vehicle on a trailer.

I then found the 2007 manuals in the fleet section of Ford's web site, downloaded them and read the same paragraphs read to me over the phone.

https://www.fleet.ford.com/maintenan...ls/results.asp

This afternoon at 3pm I picked up a 2007 Tahoe LTZ 4wd with virtuall every option except for reclining buckets in the second row. Ford was not even in the running.

Now I've got to get tow brackets for the Tahoe. Blux Ox says 1 hour installation time - all I've been getting is quotes that are clearly allowing 3 hours.

Don