Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-06-2015, 12:23 PM   #43

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
No one mentioned the ford escape. But we have been towing a 2012 . Hook up, put in neutral and off you go 4 down. We stop about every 2 hours and let it run for about 5 minutes, while the dog and we take care of other business. Then back in neutral and back on road. We have towed it around 10k with only lately the battery going down. Probably time for a new battery since the car has over 60k in actual driven miles.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-06-2015, 04:30 PM   #44

looking for toad thought jeeps were best & reliable are Hondas better

Old 02-06-2015, 05:22 PM   #45
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by manitou View Post
looking for toad thought jeeps were best & reliable are Hondas better

I was looking at a Consumer Reports annual auto issue that came out a few months ago. The Honda CRV was among the highest rated for reliability, and several Jeep models, including the Grand Cherokee, was in the "vehicles to avoid" list! You can google reviews on both and see where they are coming from!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 08:28 PM   #46

A CR-V will never be a rock climber, but it does have decent ground clearance (compared to most cars and others in it's class), and for those occasional jaunts down a 2 track forest trail (or snow), they actually work pretty good!

Where they're in their own though, is touring, especially when compared to a Wrangler. Ride and gas mileage not comparable.
Old 02-07-2015, 10:05 AM   #47
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahicks View Post
Quote:
A CR-V will never be a rock climber, but it does have decent ground clearance (compared to most cars and others in it's class), and for those occasional jaunts down a 2 track forest trail (or snow), they actually work pretty good!
Where they're in their own though, is touring, especially when compared to a Wrangler. Ride and gas mileage not comparable.

That's exactly whey we chose the CRV!

Old 02-07-2015, 03:30 PM   #48

Our previous toad, an absolutely gorgeous Grand Cherokee Overland could go anywhere & do anything. It was one of the off-road mags car of the year when we got it. But where we go & what we do doesn't require a top-of-the-pack off road vehicle. Our 4wd C-RV's manual says it is a soft-road vehicle. It has been great for everything I've ever used it for. With the Jeep it was one thing after another. Fortunately, I'd purchased a very good extended service policy and had a good friend who was the service manager at the dealership where I got it regularly serviced. And regularly repaired. Even the heater had to be replaced under warranty! Never even considered an extended service policy with the Honda.
Old 02-07-2015, 04:00 PM   #49

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
Quote:
Originally Posted by biosensai View Post
Looks like you have a gas engine in your RV. Probably have a max tow rating of 5000 lbs. General rule is to not exceed 80% of that. Puts you at 4000. And remember, you'll probably carry stuff in your toad, so it will weigh more than the listed curb weight. When you couple a consistently proven reliability (which takes any Jeep off the list, and my last toad was one) with an all around great vehicle, the C-RV was our choice. Drug it around about 30,000 miles so far. No issues at all after I upgraded from the original battery. Be advised that the new C-RV's cannot be towed.

So up to what year are they still towable 4 down? What makes them easily towable?
Old 02-07-2015, 04:23 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPoland View Post
I was originally looking at the Trailhawk, but my didn't care for the lack of chrome. She said it looked UGLY. I then looked at the Limited. I got it equiped the way I need for 4 down towing, and managed to save a couple grand in the process. I must admit, unless you are an off-road person, the Limited looks better. The chrome trim and rims and the Crystal Black paint looks good. After a whole week of ownership, I love it. The Stop/Sart technology on the V6, does take some getting used to.

As a side note: As soon as you add the Active Drive II option to the Limited, you get the same suspension as the Trailhawk, minus the locking rear end. So its almost like having your cake and eating it too. Plus the Limited model comes standard with the comfort and convenience package, that you have to pay extra for on the Trailhawk. For me that was a win / win.
Thanks for the info Bill, my wife actually liked the Trailhawk better, but I preferred the limited. We are still going back and forth between the Wrangler and the Cherokee. Our 4 wheeling would most likely be limited to dirt roads, some sand ,and occasionally some snow. I really think the Cherokee is better for the everyday driving aspect.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 04:48 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by dons2346 View Post
Can't beat a Jeep

I like towing the Patriot because it's light (3100 lbs., $14,200 brand new!) easier to tow than our heaver Wrangler Unlimited no key needed to be ON, No battery drain, easy 4 down tow.
Weight is a concern when towing with a Gas MH.
Old 02-09-2015, 05:46 AM   #52

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoners View Post
I love our 2014 Ford Edge. Easiest setup. Hook up tow bar and plug in connections same as any vehicle. To prep the car start the engine, place transmission in neutral, turn off engine. All done.

Max towing speed 65 MPH and must restart the car and let it run for 5 minutes after every 6 hours of towing.

Is the starting and running the engine after six hrs. of towing a recommendation from Ford or something you feel good about doing? What about battery drain considerations? Do you know what it weighs? I like the Escape and prefer to stay with American made and looking for options other than the CRV.
Old 02-09-2015, 07:38 AM   #53
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmw188 View Post
So up to what year are they still towable 4 down? What makes them easily towable?

The CRV through the 2014 models can be towed 4-down. They changed the tranny in the 2015's so they are no longer towable!

Old 02-09-2015, 08:02 AM   #54

Monaco Owners Club
We love our 2014 Jeep Cherokee. We purchased the Jeep lifetime max care extended warranty for $2,000 so no worries about repairs. The vehicle is covered for it's entire life. I would not make my decision based on Consumer Reports.
Old 02-10-2015, 02:00 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
We were considering a Jeep Grand Cherokee, but after looking at the reviews we quickly changed our minds.

The Honda CRV has great reliability reviews!
We are considering a Jeep Cherokee, where did you read reviews that changed your mind? Thanks
Old 02-10-2015, 03:15 PM   #56
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasHorner View Post
We are considering a Jeep Cherokee, where did you read reviews that changed your mind? Thanks

I don't remember where I looked, but take a look at the link below. You will see that the CRV is ranked #1 and the Jeep Cherokee #12

2015 Jeep Cherokee Reviews, Pictures and Prices | U.S. News Best Cars

This is another one I looked at. Sort the reviews lowest to highest and see what you think.

http://www.cars.com/jeep/grand-chero...nsumer-reviews

Tags
toad