Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-13-2015, 11:56 AM   #57

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPoland View Post
Just (last night) bought a 2015 Jeep Cherokee. It isn't set up to tow yet, but it will be.
We also bought a 2015 Jeep Cherokee about three weeks ago and I love it. It is not set up to be towed yet, but will be soon. We got the Latitude model with way more features for the money than I expected.

COdutchstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-14-2015, 09:18 PM   #58

Any information about the Ford cars? Fiesta/Focus/Fusion?

Thanks.

Old 02-15-2015, 06:26 AM   #59

2014 Ford FiestSE - 4 down in neutral!

We've towed our 2014 Ford FiestaSE fwd auto 4 down with a BlueOx Alpha system for over 18k miles with absolutely no problem! love it, just put in neutral and go!
I installed a bettery cutoff switch easily to allow no tricle drain of the battery while pulling. The blue ox baseplate was installled at a local aftermarket shop foe about $200, and the alpha tow system is very easily hook/unhook setup.
Couldnt ask for a better 4 down tow vehicle...
[bought certified used at a ford dealer, with about 30k miles, in Aug14]
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	465.3 KB
ID:	86121  
Old 02-15-2015, 10:37 AM   #60

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterT View Post
We've towed our 2014 Ford FiestaSE fwd auto 4 down with a BlueOx Alpha system for over 18k miles with absolutely no problem! love it, just put in neutral and go!

I installed a bettery cutoff switch easily to allow no tricle drain of the battery while pulling. The blue ox baseplate was installled at a local aftermarket shop foe about $200, and the alpha tow system is very easily hook/unhook setup.

Couldnt ask for a better 4 down tow vehicle...

[bought certified used at a ford dealer, with about 30k miles, in Aug14]

Nice looking set up. I was considering a Fiesta for a future purchase with towing in mind, but didn't do any research on it. How much does the little rascal weigh and how is the gas milage on it?
Old 02-15-2015, 10:53 AM   #61

Winnebago Owners Club
We have both the Cherokee TrailHawk (3.2L) and the Wrangler set up as toads. As I shared earlier, while the type of destination will determine our toad, the Cherokee TH is quickly becoming our default toad. It is an automatic (TJ is a stick) and has a lot of creature-comforts not available on our Wrangler. The TH is a pretty highly recommended go-anywhere life-style vehicle: Plenty of power, reasonable gas mileage, switchable AWD/FWD/4WD/4WD low w/lockers, it will carry our kayaks (low roofline is a plus for us) and our mountain bikes AND all of the related gear at the same time. Plus it has four doors and makes a great double-date car on Saturday night (after I wash the mud off)!

And the price was right!

Net-net: The weights are about the same, so if we know we are going to be off-road and need under-vehicle clearance, we take the Wrangler. Otherwise, we prefer the TrailHawk.

\ken

PS. TH has a 4500 pound tow rating (if you get the tow package) so it will also pull our cargo trailer.
Bumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 12:00 PM   #62

Tiffin Owners Club
No body has mentioned my toad, so I'll drop a few lines about it.

Ours is a 2011 GMC Terrain SLT-2 that is just slightly larger than a CRV. This is a top of the line model which comes with either a 6 cyl or 4 cyl and AWD if you want it. Ours is the 4 cyl, FWD and it works just fine for us not only as a toad, but also for an every day vehicle. It is right at 4000 lbs, rides smooth and quiet and has just about everything on it including a 185hp 4cyl dohc engine, 6-speed trans, nav system, 18" wheels, movable rear seat, auto lift/shut hatch, roof rack with movable cross struts, remote start, power seat with memory, all leather interior and many other items and still gets over 32 mpg on the highway.

Minimal requirements to be set up for a toad. The pulling of a fuse, starting the engine every 300 miles, and a 65mph towing speed limit. I installed a switch for the fuse, and very seldom ever drive more than 300 miles at around 60 mph.....so the requirements mentioned above are not a problem. I just turn the ignition key to on, flip the fuse switch, put it in neutral and go.

We now have 65k miles on it with about 20k additional miles towing. Have done absolutely nothing to it except change oil and oil filter. Tires are starting to show wear, so probably will get new ones this year.

We are very pleased with this car and highly recommend it for a toad.

Ron
lanerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 07:29 AM   #63

2500 and 30-40mpg ��
Old 02-17-2015, 09:48 PM   #64

Winnebago Owners Club
I toad a Mini convertible. Fun with top up or down. Easy pezy to tow four down. Not sure about the NorEast roads like they are now but seeif thenew all wheel drives will work. Make sure it's a manual..

Tags
toad