Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-28-2015, 06:20 PM   #29

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to Statgeek Send a message via MSN to Statgeek Send a message via Yahoo to Statgeek
Quote:
Originally Posted by Online_17 View Post
I just purchased a 2015 jeep wrangler. To confirm, I cannot dolly tow? 4 down only for me?

Not sure why you couldn't, but you'd have to prep it as if you were towing 4 wheels down. Unless maybe the angle of a dolly drains fluid from somewhere?

Honestly though, I can't think of a single good reason to use a tow dolly if you are able to tow 4 wheels down? You don't accumulate miles or anything, it tracks way better, it's one less thing to have to maintain and store, and it's so much easier?

Ok.. Maybe you could back up with a tow dolly? Maybe?
Statgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-30-2015, 07:08 AM   #30

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Online_17 View Post
I just purchased a 2015 jeep wrangler. To confirm, I cannot dolly tow? 4 down only for me?
I just checked the manual and it says dolly towing either front or rear wheels off the ground is not allowed so it's all four down or on a trailer.

Unless you already own the dolly or want to tow different vehicles, I don't see any reason to use one when you can go four down.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 08:18 AM   #31

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to Statgeek Send a message via MSN to Statgeek Send a message via Yahoo to Statgeek
Statgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 06:36 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD4Mark View Post
I just checked the manual and it says dolly towing either front or rear wheels off the ground is not allowed so it's all four down or on a trailer.

Unless you already own the dolly or want to tow different vehicles, I don't see any reason to use one when you can go four down.
Thanks. Glad to know! Now I can research what I need for 4 down.
Online_17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 07:02 PM   #33

X2 on the Kia Soul. We bought a 2013 last year to tow with a Navion IQ and set it up with Blue Ox tow bar and SMS Stay and Play braking. One switch, towed four down, works great. We just got a beautiful Country Coach Allure, 2006 34 ft, 400 HP Cummins. It has no idea the Kia is back there. No need for he different air type braking, and I wouldn't consider cutting into coach air brakes anyway.
Old 01-30-2015, 07:11 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPoland View Post
Just (last night) bought a 2015 Jeep Cherokee. It isn't set up to tow yet, but it will be.
Bill did you buy the Trailhawk, we were at the Jeep dealership last week and the new Cherokee's are nice. I bought a 1992 Cherokee brand new years ago and it ran great for the 10 years we had it. We are looking at the Wrangler's and the Cherokee's.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 10:26 PM   #35

I love our 2014 Ford Edge. Easiest setup. Hook up tow bar and plug in connections same as any vehicle. To prep the car start the engine, place transmission in neutral, turn off engine. All done.

Max towing speed 65 MPH and must restart the car and let it run for 5 minutes after every 6 hours of towing.
stoners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 07:36 AM   #36
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by entirelynutz View Post
I am looking to purchase my first TOAD and am seeking suggestions on appropriate models. I would prefer a smaller vehicle that would also be good in bad northeast weather when not visiting warmer climes. I am only interested in four down options.

I have a toad for sale in the classifieds!

2008 Honda Accord EX-L ready to tow - RV & Motorhome Classifieds
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 06:54 AM   #37

2013/14/15 Ford Fiesta automatic - will TOAD perfectly, just put in NEUTRAL and pull!
(I would also install a battery 'cut off' switch - it allows you to stop any trickle loss of battery power while towing, especially on longer tows)
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 04:37 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike and Cha View Post
Bill did you buy the Trailhawk, we were at the Jeep dealership last week and the new Cherokee's are nice. I bought a 1992 Cherokee brand new years ago and it ran great for the 10 years we had it. We are looking at the Wrangler's and the Cherokee's.
I was originally looking at the Trailhawk, but my didn't care for the lack of chrome. She said it looked UGLY. I then looked at the Limited. I got it equiped the way I need for 4 down towing, and managed to save a couple grand in the process. I must admit, unless you are an off-road person, the Limited looks better. The chrome trim and rims and the Crystal Black paint looks good. After a whole week of ownership, I love it. The Stop/Sart technology on the V6, does take some getting used to.

As a side note: As soon as you add the Active Drive II option to the Limited, you get the same suspension as the Trailhawk, minus the locking rear end. So its almost like having your cake and eating it too. Plus the Limited model comes standard with the comfort and convenience package, that you have to pay extra for on the Trailhawk. For me that was a win / win.
BPoland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 04:47 AM   #39

I did misquote on an earlier post. I said that you can't tow a FWD Cherokee on a dolly. Actually, that is the only setup that can use a dolly. If it is a 4X4, and has Active Drive II, it is towable 4 down or on a trailer. If it is active Drive I, it has to be on a trailer, no 4 down or dolly.
Next time, maybe I shouldn't concentrate so much on the 4X4 stuff.
BPoland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 05:16 AM   #40

We tow a 08 CR-V and love it (4 down). We don't pull any fuses just at the end of the day of traveling we start it/warm it/put it in park/lock it! OH and we don't forget to reverse the process in the morning for more traveling!!
Czar Of Poop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 05:33 PM   #41

Looks like you have a gas engine in your RV. Probably have a max tow rating of 5000 lbs. General rule is to not exceed 80% of that. Puts you at 4000. And remember, you'll probably carry stuff in your toad, so it will weigh more than the listed curb weight. When you couple a consistently proven reliability (which takes any Jeep off the list, and my last toad was one) with an all around great vehicle, the C-RV was our choice. Drug it around about 30,000 miles so far. No issues at all after I upgraded from the original battery. Be advised that the new C-RV's cannot be towed.
biosensai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 06:04 AM   #42

Just purchased a 2015 Jeep Patriot. Manual transmission, front wheel drive. Will not being a daily drive, so can not beat the price for a toad only vehicle.
Vinster30 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad