Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-13-2016, 01:34 AM   #29

Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by entirelynutz View Post
I am ready to purchase my first TOAD. I'm looking for suggestions as to what to buy. I would prefer an all-wheel drive. Also, this will be my only car whether home or on the road. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
My Jeep Wrangler Sport works quite nicely and gives me the much desired ability to visit old ghost towns that are usually found after traveling some distance on roads that would give goat trails a good name. It's only my wife, myself and our pup so the two doors and what some would call a rear seat aren't issues for us.

'97 Pace Arrow Vision 36 with Tag Axel, Ford 460 with Banks Power Pack. 2000 Jeep Wrangler Toad, one miniature schnauzer that rules the roost and a wife that enjoys traveling. Retired FTCS (SS) USN and loving it. FMCA#461483
Shaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-13-2016, 06:04 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaky View Post
My Jeep Wrangler Sport works quite nicely and gives me the much desired ability to visit old ghost towns that are usually found after traveling some distance on roads that would give goat trails a good name. It's only my wife, myself and our pup so the two doors and what some would call a rear seat aren't issues for us.
As the rear seat is never used we leave it home which gives us tons more room for carrying stuff for day trips. Yes, rear seat is a simple flip out on a jeep.

Texasranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 05:00 PM   #31

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreaTOne65 View Post
We have run the gamut, from tow dolly to trailer, and now 4 down. Never considered anything else but Jeep. Started out with 2011 Grand Cherokee, now it's a 2014 Eco Diesel. What a vehicle! I'm using a Falcon ll tow bar, Roadmaster force one brake system to stop her. I didn't have the tow bar level on our first trip, and could feel every big dip in the road. I leveled the hitch for the ride home, still could feel it, but not as harsh, other than that, on smooth roads, I have to turn on the rear camera to make sure it's still back there.
Went to look at the new Grand Cherokees - a little confused on the transmissions. They have the Quadra track II option which has a neutral button, which meets the criteria, but they are behind auto transmissions with the typical P-R-N-D and some that are like the old "slapstick" with no PARK.....something about "autopark".

Does either work, or does it have to be the traditional type transmission selector with a PARK?
Old 07-17-2016, 08:04 PM   #32

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atom Ant View Post
Went to look at the new Grand Cherokees - a little confused on the transmissions. They have the Quadra track II option which has a neutral button, which meets the criteria, but they are behind auto transmissions with the typical P-R-N-D and some that are like the old "slapstick" with no PARK.....something about "autopark".

Does either work, or does it have to be the traditional type transmission selector with a PARK?

The 2016 GC's have the Quadra track II with the typical P-R-N-D. I think you might be thinking of the Cherokee or the 2015's with the "slapstick".

The '16 work just fine.
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 09:59 PM   #33

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDaveMA View Post
The 2016 GC's have the Quadra track II with the typical P-R-N-D. I think you might be thinking of the Cherokee or the 2015's with the "slapstick".

The '16 work just fine.
We didn't look at Cherokee, but we may have been looking at some 2015s and that started the confusion. But does that mean the 2015s couldn't be towed?
Old 07-17-2016, 11:20 PM   #34

We've been researching toads for about a year. In the meantime my DW purchased a 2017 Hyundai Santa Fe front wheel drive. It is just under my personal limit for towing weight, with a dolly that is. We're wondering if it is feasible to use the Santa Fe as a toad. Any thoughts? Thanks.
Old 07-17-2016, 11:23 PM   #35

Alpine Owners Club
TOAD suggestions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atom Ant View Post
We didn't look at Cherokee, but we may have been looking at some 2015s and that started the confusion. But does that mean the 2015s couldn't be towed?

No, the 2015 GC can be towed, FCA just had problems with the slapstick transmission, they actually recalled them. There also has been a reported problem with the Cherokee with "death wobble" search it here on IRV2, there is a lot of info, seems like it is tied to the EPS (Electronic Power Steering)
Old 07-18-2016, 09:06 AM   #36

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
No, the 2015 GC can be towed, FCA just had problems with the slapstick transmission, they actually recalled them. There also has been a reported problem with the Cherokee with "death wobble" search it here on IRV2, there is a lot of info, seems like it is tied to the EPS (Electronic Power Steering)
Ah thanks - I did read something about that but thought it was older Cherokee's. I'll have to go check it out.

I really hated that slapstick. I've had it on a few rentals. Looks like the 2014 didn't have one either.
Old 07-18-2016, 10:55 AM   #37

If you go with a Cherokee make sure the dealer adds the flat tow fix (wiring harness) at no charge. It seems to have solved the problem.

Steve
Old 07-18-2016, 11:03 AM   #38

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We are talking Grand Cherokee, not the Cherokee, right? Dealer said I couldn't flat tow a Cherokee because they are front wheel drive based.
Old 07-18-2016, 03:51 PM   #39

Tiffin Owners Club
We didn't want a suv so we were flat towing my 2014 Ford Fiesta the past 2 years. Decided to go with a larger car so we just purchased a new Ford Taurus. Waiting on base plate and light kit to arrive. Will use the rvibrake2 from the Fiesta.
Old 07-18-2016, 07:36 PM   #40

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevL View Post
If you go with a Cherokee make sure the dealer adds the flat tow fix (wiring harness) at no charge. It seems to have solved the problem.

Steve

This is the fix for the Cherokee death wobble, FCA will install it for free.
Old 07-18-2016, 07:51 PM   #41

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Before you run out a purchase a Honda check the tow guide from FMCA or better yet from Honda to be sure the year and model you get is towable 4 down. Honda has been reducing the models they allow to be towed. For 2016 they only support Civic, Fit and HR-V, it is a very limited choice.
The Civic hasn't been towable for years now according to Honda and the published towing guides. The only ones left are the manual transmission Fit & HR-V.
But then our '05 Odyssey isn't approved either and we've towed it at least 40,000 miles now.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 09:21 PM   #42

Well I like fun (read turbo) and the ability to hit the forest service roads (read ok ground clearance and AWD), and since it is my daily commute car (38 miles one way) wanted decent gas mileage ...the answer was a used Subaru Outback Turbo (manual transmission). With the blue ox it could not be easier to hook up, make sure its in neutral and e brake off ..ignition key one click and away you go.

My second choice was a jeep wrangler 4 door but they are very proud of those. I paid less than 10k cash for mine.

Tags
toad