Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-17-2013, 06:40 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Toad Suplemental Brake Light question

Have seen lots of wiring answers but cant find this!
I have Honda CRV and was going to wire lights with diodes.
Wiring from MC combines brake and turn. Blue OX has wiring diagram that basically ignores the turn signals on toad and uses toad brake lights as brake and turn.
Seems straight forward but... if I am correct when the suplemental brake presses my brake the turn signal would quite blinking.
Have I missed something? How do others get around this?

THanks for any help!
CoastieChief is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-17-2013, 06:49 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Check Roadmaster's site. They have a relay that addresses this very issue. (Brake light relay). You may want to confirm with tech support that it works with other brands. (I expect it does). They have an application guide as well.

My setup is on a 2003 tracker. Same scenario as yours. The relay resolves the issue.

http://roadmasterinc.com/products/br...ght_relay.html

I think in some vehicles you can remove the brake light fuse as an alternative, but that would be a pain to do for every trip.
Old 04-17-2013, 07:11 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thank you for the quick reply.
Now I really have to decide what to do! The other option I found was similar to what you use for trailer lights on a car that has seperate turn and brake lights. THis one takes the brake turn signal and outputs seperate brake and turn signals. Would need to hook up more diodes in the rear but wouldnt have to mess with the wires under the dash.
Old 04-17-2013, 07:17 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Hello Chuck, Welcome to IRV2. I was planning on responding to this when I got your PM so here it is.

I opted for the Tow Daddy Universal system. Ours is the 2013 CRV and so far there isn't a plug-n-play system. It does require some cutting but it works great. That system includes a control module that acts as a brake relay switch. Basically, once you turn on the MH lights, it takes over. Let me rephrase that...I run with my head lights on but I THINK that simply activating the MH brakes and turn signals will override the toad system. HMM...need to test that one out.

Something that isn't real clear in some kits is the need to use a 3 light to 2 light converter. That combines the brake and turn signal lights of a 3 light coach to a 2 light toad. I know...you have 3 lights on the toad...the end result is that both the turn signal and brake lights on the toad flash at the same time when you use turn signals. Currently we use a 7 blade round to 4 flat converter on the MH and that does it all for me too. However I don't like that I can't seem to find a 4 flat plate to mount my 4 flat connector to my base plate. I plan on wiring a 6 round socket on both the MH and coach for a better mounting answer. When that happens I will have to install a converter to do that for me.

A couple other things to know:

1. The center brake light on the toad is still controlled by the CRV's brake light switch. When I brake in the MH the main brake lights come on immediately. As my AFO pulls on the toad brake peddle, there is a slight delay before the toad's center brake light comes on. I'm looking into adjusting the toad's brake switch to activate with a little less travel.

2. The license plate light is not addressed by the Tow Daddy harness nor do most diode schemes directly address that issue either. I'm thinking on how to do that.

Hope that helps.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 12:16 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Helped a lot! It looks like this activates the CRVs blinker and the Brake light as a blinker is that how yours is working? My coach has combined turn brake so I should be set at that end. It looks like you and the instructions have the combined signal split back out so that the CRV turn signals blink as they normally would, is that correct? Also did you run the wire inside the CRV or under? Any insight in how and where to run them would be helpful.
Old 04-17-2013, 12:33 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Yes, the brake and turn signal blink at the same time on the CRV.

With the help of my BIL we ran the wires along the driver side under the panel trim up to the fire wall. We then ran it through a wire harness grommet above and to the right of the brake peddle. We then worked it round the driver side of the engine compartment and down through an open channel space to the side of the radiator core.

The TOW DADDY wire harness is a tad short! We used staggered barrel connectors to connect the harness to more 4 flat cable before it was run down the side of the radiator core.

If you have a combo Turn/Brake light on the coach it makes it real simple. You won't need any converter. If that is the case, I would then verify your MH socket wiring and then consider wiring the 4 flat wire strip into a 6 pin round socket on the front of the toad. I'm having a problem finding a brace for my 4 flat connector so my cable is being pulled on by the cable between the MH and toad. It would also give you 2 pins to run a connection from your MH batteries to your toad if you added a toad charger.
Old 04-17-2013, 12:52 PM   #7

Alternatively, you could throw one of these on and let the CRV do what it wants with the stop lights. Totally independent systems.
Magnetic Towing Lights - $34.38

and here's what I did for a license plate light. Also totally independent and used only at night (seldom).
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f85/licen...ad-147962.html
Old 04-17-2013, 06:08 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Separate lights are indeed an option to avoid wiring the toad. Easiest of all.

In my case, I used the universal wiring kit from Roadmaster and the brake light relay.

You can download the instructions from their site to see how this system works and I've found tech support to be helpful when I called. They are familiar with your rig and their site includes detail on the proper wiring color for the "cold side" of the brake switch.

http://roadmasterinc.com/products/ac...lectrical.html
Old 04-17-2013, 07:18 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks to all that answered. I am leaning toward the Tow Daddy option. Read the instructions on the brake relay about possibly damaging the theft deterrent system etc. Does anyone know what changed on the 2012-13 CRV that would make the CRV specific unit not work?
Old 04-17-2013, 07:55 PM   #10

What year CRV? My 2013 requires a new light socket to be installed in the tail lens assembly. You cannot use existing lights with diodes. Check out the Blue Ox recomended light kit for your year CRV. That might help.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 07:55 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastieChief View Post
Does anyone know what changed on the 2012-13 CRV that would make the CRV specific unit not work?
I'm certain there were probably some minor electrical changes but I don't know what they might have been. What I do know is that the main wire harness goes directly to sockets on the tail lights. there is no harness connection between the main wire harness and the tail light assembly. After doing the install I am not sure how to get a pre-wired plug into the area of the tail light assembly. We used an existing wire bundle grommet to get the TD harness wires into the area of the tail lights so we could then do the cut and splicing needed. I actually have some video footage of the various stages and just have to figure a way to post them for others to view. I'll see if I can't get on that more quickly.
Old 04-18-2013, 10:59 AM   #12

Just had my 2013 CRV EX-L wired. All lights work fine, except when toad brakes are activated. When toad brakes activate, toad break lights come on overriding turn signals on toad. Coach turn signals continue to operate normally. My guess would be to install a separate set of lights dedicated to the coach. I use an RVi brake set to med for my CRV. It seldom comes on unless I have some hard braking. I assume once the brake goes off the turn signals go back to working as normal on the toad. The question is, after you stop, does the RVi brake release the brake pedal thereby the toad signals go back to blinking as they should.
bearaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 11:32 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearaboo View Post
Just had my 2013 CRV EX-L wired. All lights work fine, except when toad brakes are activated. When toad brakes activate, toad break lights come on overriding turn signals on toad. ...
I believe you need a brake relay switch to correct that situation.
Old 04-18-2013, 03:39 PM   #14

As circumstance would have it, I followed a MH towing a Jeep Liberty. Followed it into a rest area. He had his right signal on, when he slowed down, the toad brake lights came on negating the turn signal. As soon as he stopped braking the signal went back to blinking.
bearaboo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake, toad