Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-15-2016, 05:48 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Toad Tail Lights - Wired or Wireless

I'm in the process of setting up my 08 Chevy HHR for towing behind our Fleetwood Discovery. Over the weekend I was in Pep Boys and was browsing the Trailer Accessories aisle and saw this system. This is a bit cheaper than having my HHR modified to provide tail/brake lights.

Wireless Tow Lights
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Wireless Tow Lights.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	30.7 KB
ID:	135984  
South Florida https://knotatsea.blogspot.com
brenthg is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-15-2016, 09:43 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by brenthg View Post
I'm in the process of setting up my 08 Chevy HHR for towing behind our Fleetwood Discovery. Over the weekend I was in Pep Boys and was browsing the Trailer Accessories aisle and saw this system. This is a bit cheaper than having my HHR modified to provide tail/brake lights.

Wireless Tow Lights
Does anyone have experience using these?
Old 08-15-2016, 11:13 AM   #3

What about a braking system for the HR? Those are just lights.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 11:32 AM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
For the past 16 years (160- 170 K miles) I have used portable trailer lights. I first used the magnetic ones, but now I use submersible LEDs which I attach with Velcro and wire ties.
Cousin Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 12:01 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selah View Post
What about a braking system for the HR? Those are just lights.
Yep, a friend of mine is going to let me borrow a Brake Buddy to see how I like it. I've done some research, and I really like the RViBrake 2 system, but before I spend $1,000 I want to try one out.
Old 08-15-2016, 01:30 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
One of the best toad brake system in my opinion is M&G also it's a pretty easy install and pretty cheap especially if you get one of their trade in units, this system once installed you just hook up your air line and go it also does not activate the brake lights on the toad when coach brakes are mashed.
I think the trade in units are just as good as the new units because the simple design of the brake just a cylinder and piston with a O ring. They do not make one for the turbo HHR.

M & G Engineering - Car Braking Systems: Vehicle Compatibility
walt2137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 01:31 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
One of the best toad brake system in my opinion is M&G also it's a pretty easy install and pretty cheap especially if you get one of their trade in units, this system once installed you just hook up your air line and go it also does not activate the brake lights on the toad when coach brakes are mashed.
I think the trade in units are just as good as the new units because the simple design of the brake just a cylinder and piston with a O ring. They do not make one for the turbo HHR.

walt2137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 03:51 PM   #8

Vintage RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Wired in lights are so much more convenient and a much cleaner setup. Hang-on ones certainly would be better wireless than wired ones though.

I've used both diodes and drill for sockets. It's easy to run a 4-wire trailer light harness to the back of any vehicle, there's always a place to run to or into the taillight section of the vehicle.

Also have a BrakeBuddy that I have used on at least 4 different cars. If you shop you can usually find one for $350-$500. You really only need toad brakes for panic stops and breakaway - and it works just fine for that. It's very easy to setup and use, easy to move to another vehicle.
CJBROWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 08:28 AM   #9

I use the M&G Brake System on a Jeep Wrangler with the Hopkins Dinghy Towing Harness that has connectors that hook into your existing tail lights without having to cut/splice wires. Blue Ox also sells same thing but at 2x the price.
mspicer1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 12:09 PM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by walt2137 View Post

That's great for those who have air...
Old 08-24-2016, 12:12 PM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mspicer1234 View Post
I use the M&G Brake System on a Jeep Wrangler with the Hopkins Dinghy Towing Harness that has connectors that hook into your existing tail lights without having to cut/splice wires. Blue Ox also sells same thing but at 2x the price.
X2 for the Hopkins Dingy wiring harness. I just installed 2 nights ago on my 2014 JKU. Easy peasy except for fishing the wire through the frame from front to back but well worth the effort. Only took about 1-1/2 hours complete with testing.
Old 08-24-2016, 12:41 PM   #12

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by brenthg View Post
Yep, a friend of mine is going to let me borrow a Brake Buddy to see how I like it. I've done some research, and I really like the RViBrake 2 system, but before I spend $1,000 I want to try one out.
I've had the rvi brake system for 4plus years and couldn't be happier with their product and awesome customer service. I was offered a free upgrade to rvi brake 2 due to below trouble but already had the tire minder TPMS (tire pressure moninoring system) and those transmitters arent cheap when buying to outfit 6 on coach and 4 on toad.

I once had a problem with my rvi brake when down in the florida keys state park. The compressor kept running. A call to them to see if there was an easy fix which there wasn't and they overnighted me a new unit to the ranger station. When i returned home a month later I returned the defective unit.

The small profile of this unit and it's portability came in handy when we got another vehicle as toad. Sometimes my DW car and most times my truck. And it's easy to store when not in use at CG or home.
bruce91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 03:21 PM   #13

You might check at Amazon for reviews of those wireless lights. IIRC there are reliability issues with them. I have been using Towmate wireless lights and have been very happy with them. They are not inexpensive but they have a lifetime warranty.
Falcon 2 All terrain tow bar, RVi2 brake, Towmate TM3 wireless lights
avid_dk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 10:37 PM   #14

I have used those wireless lights that the OP was asking about. Absolutely no issues; very reliable, reasonably bright and I could get at least three days out of the batteries before I would start to worry and would take them out and recharge them (I used rechargeable batteries, all I use in any of my equipment). Never had the batteries go dead on me, even with the tail lights on all day due to inclement weather. Never an issue with the transmitter, magnets were very strong so there was no movement and no scratching of the paint. A very good purchase and I wouldn't hesitate to buy them again and, if they would work for you, I would certainly recommend them.

All that being said, I just wired my Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk with the Roadmaster diode kit. Why? Brightest lighting (LED tail lights on the Jeep are much brighter), no batteries to recharge, though that really wasn't a problem, and I had gotten the diode kit when I bought the Jeep, just never got around to installing it. I didn't have the time before having to leave on a trip (the Jeep was a spur of the moment purchase) so I got the wireless unit to use, originally for just the trip, but, it worked so well that I wasn't in a rush to install the diode kit. Now I carry the wireless lights as an emergency backup should I ever need them; I have them stuck to steel frame piece in the basement where they are out of the way, but, within easy reach should I need them.
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk Towed
webslave is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light, lights, toad