Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-07-2016, 02:25 PM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Brenthg,
I have the wireless light system you pictured. They so far have worked great. I had to modify them some for my Suzuki toad because it has a composite roof. I gorilla glued sheet metal pieces to the roof and also gorilla glued the light brackets to the metal. Probably overkill but I didn't want them flying off if the magnet didn't hold. I remove the lights when we unhook and the brackets stay on the roof. It kind of gave my Suzuki a funny look with just the brackets attached but it works for me.
sask66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-08-2016, 06:35 AM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sask66 View Post
Brenthg,
I have the wireless light system you pictured. They so far have worked great. I had to modify them some for my Suzuki toad because it has a composite roof. I gorilla glued sheet metal pieces to the roof and also gorilla glued the light brackets to the metal. Probably overkill but I didn't want them flying off if the magnet didn't hold. I remove the lights when we unhook and the brackets stay on the roof. It kind of gave my Suzuki a funny look with just the brackets attached but it works for me.
Maybe I had a faulty product, but I decided to get wired permanently and make one less thing I have to rig when we hook up the Towed.

Thanks for your input.
South Florida https://knotatsea.blogspot.com
brenthg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 10:45 AM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Looks like the system of brake lights I have been using for over a year. No more trouble setting them on the towed than hooking the cable between the MH and towed, the sending unit ie zip tied to the MH. The only gripe I have is the batteries in the light you need the change once in a while, AA's the sending unit is powered by the MH when you plug it in. Nice thing is no drilling, no cutting, no running wire, no diodes and I can move it to another towed.

LEN
Old 09-10-2016, 01:41 PM   #18

I've read some good 4 and 5 star reviews on them. There are a significant number of one star reviews, with problems such as not working past ~30 feet. Others had problems with them blinking incorrectly, erratic blinking, non-constant and missed blinks.

Amazon reviews shows 39% 5 star and 36% 1 star. (4 star 14%, 3 star 11%)
user293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 08:31 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by user293 View Post
I've read some good 4 and 5 star reviews on them. There are a significant number of one star reviews, with problems such as not working past ~30 feet. Others had problems with them blinking incorrectly, erratic blinking, non-constant and missed blinks.

Amazon reviews shows 39% 5 star and 36% 1 star. (4 star 14%, 3 star 11%)
That was my take on them after reading the reviews. I consider myself astute at finding the wheat in the chaff at Amazon.

One already looks like a sitting duck towing a vehicle behind an expensive motorhome. I want to minimize the chance that I am involved in and responsible for an accident. Buying the best possible towing gear and using it correctly goes a long way to reducing risks to myself and others. You know what they say, buy good stuff and cry once purchase cheap stuff and cry every time you use it. Just my .02 cents.
Falcon 2 All terrain tow bar, RVi2 brake, Towmate TM3 wireless lights
avid_dk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 11:48 AM   #20

Vintage RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Personally I think integrated lighting in the toad's taillights is so much more sano - hanging lights on the toad with suction cups or magnets is just not how I like to do it, wireless or wired. YMMV.
CJBROWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 02:10 PM   #21

Yes I take towing seriously. I use to drive from smaller vehicles to larger dual semi's professionally. Use to have a CDL license where I was on the road most of the time. I don't drive professionally any-more, it takes the toll on you driving daily and nightly.

When driving now, I spend much of the time preventing accidents. Allowing other people to cut in, pass, etc. I'll sometime pull over and let cars pass, trying to keep a certain amount of distant from other vehicles. Many of the people on the road are in a hurry, going to fast and following other vehicles too close, which often causes accidents.

With another ~3,000 to ~5,000 lbs of weight, the towing vehicle doesn't behave the same and you increase your responsibility to yourself and others on the road. As you have this additional weight and mass behind you.

After wiring my driving lights I found them to be too dim. So I wired in a Reese Modulite into the toads tow light circuit, and used some spade terminals so the module could be removed from the engine compartment when not in use. I also have a charge circuit that charges the toads battery when connected to the MH. The charge circuit I found after looking through some schematics and under the MH, incomplete factory wiring connected to a relay in the engine compartment.

The toads towing lights and Even Brake was draining the toads battery. Adding a charge circuit helped solve the problem.
user293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 02:28 PM   #22

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I've always wired mine in with diodes, but the last time out I found that the passenger side rear wasn't flashing. It's done that before and I just haven't taken the time to look into it.
Not much room in the taillights for more bulbs and the van wouldn't easily adapt to a light bar.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light, lights, toad