Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-12-2016, 09:39 AM   #1

TOAD tire pressure monitoring?

I've towed trailers before and can normally see the wheels / tires in the truck's mirrors. If the trailer had a tire failure, I'm certain I'd feel it with the tow vehicle.

I'd think towing a small care, all 4 down, behind a diesel pusher would make me oblivious to a low or flat tire on the toad. I doubt you'd see the toad's tires in the rear view camera. Is there an add on TPS that will transmit the toad's tire pressures to a reciever that can be mounted in the motorhome?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-12-2016, 09:59 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I intend no disrespect BUT I tow a 30 foot cargo trailer and viewing the tires in the mirrors is NOT the best method. Besides the mirrors should be aimed for side viewing NOT trailer tire viewing.

I had a LR tire blow-out on my trailer back in 2012 when I was still using the Doran TPMS (which I DON"T recommend). I had one sensor that was casing me some problems and wouldn't you know it was that tire. Well some nice Canadian pulled up alongside of me to inform me of my shredded tire back on the trailer.

Needless to say that incident cost me two new tires as the other tire on the same side (Tandem Axles) took the brunt of the weight which caused it to overload.

I have switched TPMS systems to the Tire SafeGuard and it is one of the BEST!

Now for towing the car, when I need to do that, I simply remove the sensors from the trailer wheels and install them onto the car wheels and adjust my psi alarm aims. If you think you will notice a flat tire on the car while towing you had better rethink your position. Many RVers' without TPMS's have had a tire catch fire without their knowledge and some nice person would have to run up beside them to warm them of their problem.

Personally, I will not move my coach, trailer or car without having my TPMS hooked up and working.

Dr4Film ----- Richard

Old 01-12-2016, 10:00 AM   #3

I have 8 tires on the MH and 4 on the toad. TST TPMS works superbly on all 12.

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 10:00 AM   #4
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
You can monitor the toad tires with any system out there. I use the TireTraker system with a total of 10 sensors. I installed a "booster" in the rear closet to be sure I got good signal from the toad sensors!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 10:12 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
I intend no disrespect BUT I tow a 30 foot cargo trailer and viewing the tires in the mirrors is NOT the best method. Besides the mirrors should be aimed for side viewing NOT trailer tire viewing.

I had a LR tire blow-out on my trailer back in 2012 when I was still using the Doran TPMS (which I DON"T recommend). I had one sensor that was casing me some problems and wouldn't you know it was that tire. Well some nice Canadian pulled up alongside of me to inform me of my shredded tire back on the trailer.

Needless to say that incident cost me two new tires as the other tire on the same side (Tandem Axles) took the brunt of the weight which caused it to overload.

I have switched TPMS systems to the Tire SafeGuard and it is one of the BEST!

Now for towing the car, when I need to do that, I simply remove the sensors from the trailer wheels and install them onto the car wheels and adjust my psi alarm aims. If you think you will notice a flat tire on the car while towing you had better rethink your position. Many RVers' without TPMS's have had a tire catch fire without their knowledge and some nice person would have to run up beside them to warm them of their problem.

Personally, I will not move my coach, trailer or car without having my TPMS hooked up and working.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Understood. I've towed the race car on an open trailer and also a 27' Wilderness TT behind an F250. If a tire failed, I'd "feel" it in the truck. And yes, my concern is I'd not feel a TOAD issue behind a pusher, which could result in something catastrophic happening to the towed vehicle. I appreciate all the responses. Didn't know there was a 'repeater' available for the signal. I guess another of my concerns is I'm not real keen on the idea of a TPS sensor that takes place of the Schrader valve cap. That is a great place to create a leak. I'd want sensors mounted inside the tire / wheel. Good conversation.. thanks again all.
Old 01-12-2016, 11:28 AM   #6

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
427ford-

The system I and Richard ("Dr4Film") have, Tire SafeGuard, offers TPMS sensors that mount to the rims or the interior portion of the valves. Other systems may have those options, too.

The problem is that modern cars already have OEM TPMS sensors inside the tires. Rather than cram another set in there, most of us opt for the ones that mount to the end of the valve stem.

The systems work without significant leakage- or the vendors wouldn't be able to sell them. If the sensors leak, you'll see it on the monitor.

To add air, with some systems you get your choice: pass-through or remove-to-air sensors. If you think of it one way, the remove-to-air types are nothing more than big valve caps.

I'll finish by noting that after I removed one of the four pass-through caps from our coach on return from a long trip, the valve innards were loose and leaking. I fixed that by tightening the innards with the appropriate tool.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 11:57 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Ford I don't think you will feel a flat on your toad behind the coach I know I didnt before we went to sensors on the toad and coach in 02 ( Pressure Pro ) I would have done a lot of damage if a good samaritan had not warned us. I would not think about traveling without TPS as they have saved me two times with a rear dual loosing pressure, we now use TST TPS.

http://tsttruck.com/product/507-starter-system-kit/
2015 Kia Soul 6 speed manual
walt2137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 12:03 PM   #8

There are several TPMS available for truck and RV. They all do about as well as the other. I use EEZ Tire TPMS. It is basically a clone of the TST tire system. I like these because of the display. For myself, and DW as it is her job to navigate and handle any alarms on the TPMS, the display is very easy to read.
You may need a booster or repeater to reliably monitor the toad. I did not need a repeater when I had the 36 ft gasser but I do need one my current 42 ft DP.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 12:07 PM   #9
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
One further comment! The TireTraker system now has a lifetime warranty! I like it because the sensor batteries are user-replaceable, the sensors are the "cap" type so there's no chance of air leaks, the the customer support is great!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 12:14 PM   #10

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Our towed weighs about 4,400#'s, that's less than 10% of the MH's weight. There is no way I'd feel a flat tire on the towed.
I have a TST 507 system left over from the Dutch Star that I'll put on when the SmarTire systems internal sensors quit, which should be soon as they're 7 yrs old now. Not sure if I'll go with the TST internal sensors or go with the external ones on the MH.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 02:26 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 427ford View Post
I've towed trailers before and can normally see the wheels / tires in the truck's mirrors. If the trailer had a tire failure, I'm certain I'd feel it with the tow vehicle.

I'd think towing a small care, all 4 down, behind a diesel pusher would make me oblivious to a low or flat tire on the toad. I doubt you'd see the toad's tires in the rear view camera. Is there an add on TPS that will transmit the toad's tire pressures to a reciever that can be mounted in the motorhome?
We use an EZ Tire TPMS but I think all of them do about the same thing.

The company was very helpful during the set up.

The system monitors all 10 tires on the entire coach and toad.

It is very comforting to have the the pressures and temps of all the tires while traveling down the road.
Forza Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 04:42 PM   #12

I don't drive anything new enough to be OEM equipped with TPmS. My DD is an 01 Miata or 04 F250 PSD. The spousal unit gets all the new cars.... Sounds like TPMS will be an easy addition to an RV. An audible allert would be perfect. Get off tge road then look further.
Good info..thanks.
Old 01-13-2016, 09:56 PM   #13

About 20 years ago I was towing a 2000 pound car behind a 1 ton 14' box van. I stopped for gas and smelled hot rubber. The rear tire on the car looked like a slinky wrapped around the rim. Never felt anything.
Old 01-13-2016, 11:33 PM   #14

I think the TST system will monitor all the tires you have. Does my RV and tow car.

1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire pressure, toad