Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 06-18-2013, 09:25 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
garykk's Avatar
 
Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Southern NM
Posts: 1,312
Toad tires wearing

Pulling a new Wrangler this year and I have noticed that the front tires are wearing on the outside on both tires( feathering). This never happened with my old 94 wrangler. Tow bar is well within the required height...at this rate I will burn up the tires on this trip..I am assuming the MH is taking the weight off the front of the jeep on bumps etc..
__________________

__________________
2014 Phaeton 40 QBH
2018 Jeep Recon (ordered)
garykk is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-18-2013, 09:38 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
CampDaven's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Fulltime, USA
Posts: 14,446
Blog Entries: 1
Have not had that with my 2012.

My towbar is level. Maybe a toe-in issue?
I'll let others chime in.
__________________

__________________
Dave and Nola, RVM1
The Journey is Our Destination!

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 11:49 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
FIRE UP's Avatar


 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Out there, somewhere
Posts: 5,250
Well Sir,
Your assumption of the motor home "removing the weight" off the front end of the Jeep is, I think a bit inaccurate. The reason I think that is, the tow bar "floats" so, all it does is pull and push the vehicle, not lift it or push down on it. And, you say your tow bar is within the height limits in relation to the height of the jeep, correct?

Now, just speaking from experience, we've towed (7) Jeep Wranglers, three different versions for over 25 years. 3-CJs, 2-YJs, and 2-TJs, and never had any unusual front tire wear, due to towing. We ran our Jeeps through the gauntlets on our trips so, towing them was quite easier on them than driving them, based on our use of them.

I'm not a towing expert here, not by any means, I just have many miles of towing and, have not seen excessive tire wear due to towing. You might run down to your local alignment shop and see what they say about it. Just a thought here. Good luck.
Scott
__________________
2004 ITASCA HORIZON 36GD, 2011 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4 Toad '08 GL 1800 Gold Wing
Retired-29.5 yrs, SDFD, Ham - KI6OND
Me, Karla and the Sophie character, (mini Schnauzer)
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 01:12 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
HabitatGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
Well Sir,
Your assumption of the motor home "removing the weight" off the front end of the Jeep is, I think a bit inaccurate. The reason I think that is, the tow bar "floats" so, all it does is pull and push the vehicle, not lift it or push down on it. And, you say your tow bar is within the height limits in relation to the height of the jeep, correct?

Now, just speaking from experience, we've towed (7) Jeep Wranglers, three different versions for over 25 years. 3-CJs, 2-YJs, and 2-TJs, and never had any unusual front tire wear, due to towing. We ran our Jeeps through the gauntlets on our trips so, towing them was quite easier on them than driving them, based on our use of them.

I'm not a towing expert here, not by any means, I just have many miles of towing and, have not seen excessive tire wear due to towing. You might run down to your local alignment shop and see what they say about it. Just a thought here. Good luck.
Scott
I tend to agree with this. I have towed three different jeeps. A CJ , a TJ and a liberty. I have used home made tow bars( CJ and TJ ), fold up vehicle mounted tow bar(TJ ) and motorhome mounted blue ox tow bar (TJ and Liberty). tow bars cannot lift or pull down unless they are not level and then only under braking. I have never experienced anything abnormal in wear or behavior. My thought for you besides the obvious alignment question, is if your auxiliary braking system is adjusted properly? Good luck problem solving.
__________________
"...NOT ALL WHO WANDER ARE LOST"BILBO BAGGINS
2006 FOURWINDS WINDSPORT 36Z 2012 JEEP LIBERTY TOAD
HABITATGUY
HabitatGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 01:59 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Moonrover's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 1,685
Quote:
Originally Posted by garykk View Post
Pulling a new Wrangler this year and I have noticed that the front tires are wearing on the outside on both tires( feathering). This never happened with my old 94 wrangler. Tow bar is well within the required height...at this rate I will burn up the tires on this trip..I am assuming the MH is taking the weight off the front of the jeep on bumps etc..
Can you get a friend to drive alongside you and observe what is going on back there? Small side to side wander possibly?
__________________
Moonrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 02:21 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
garykk's Avatar
 
Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Southern NM
Posts: 1,312
Thanks for the tips, I will run the jeep into a dealer or a tire shop whenI get a chance.
__________________
2014 Phaeton 40 QBH
2018 Jeep Recon (ordered)
garykk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 02:35 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
garykk's Avatar
 
Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Southern NM
Posts: 1,312
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
Well Sir,
Your assumption of the motor home "removing the weight" off the front end of the Jeep is, I think a bit inaccurate. The reason I think that is, the tow bar "floats" so, all it does is pull and push the vehicle, not lift it or push down on it. And, you say your tow bar is within the height limits in relation to the height of the jeep, correct?

Now, just speaking from experience, we've towed (7) Jeep Wranglers, three different versions for over 25 years. 3-CJs, 2-YJs, and 2-TJs, and never had any unusual front tire wear, due to towing. We ran our Jeeps through the gauntlets on our trips so, towing them was quite easier on them than driving them, based on our use of them.

I'm not a towing expert here, not by any means, I just have many miles of towing and, have not seen excessive tire wear due to towing. You might run down to your local alignment shop and see what they say about it. Just a thought here. Good luck.
Scott
I agree,after sending the post and thinking about it, the tow bar would have to be at one heck of angle to take weight off the jeep. I am inclined to think its the front end alignment.
__________________
2014 Phaeton 40 QBH
2018 Jeep Recon (ordered)
garykk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 04:31 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 229
I currently tow a 2012 Wrangler Unlimited, prior tow was 1982 CJ never any problems with front end wear.
Let us know what you find to be the problem, good luck
__________________
Larry Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 09:52 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
vsheetz's Avatar


 
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: SoCal
Posts: 11,773
Check the toe in. Google and you can find how to do thus yourself.
__________________
Vince and Susan
2011 Tiffin Phaeton 40QTH (Cummins ISC/Freightliner)
Flat towing a modified 2005 Jeep (Rubicon Wrangler)
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 04:56 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
garykk's Avatar
 
Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Southern NM
Posts: 1,312
Had the front end checked by a local tire shop in Kingman,AZ, toe was in 3/16" over spc..... No wonder the tires were feathering. So much for factory alignment.
Also readjusted my hitch height...had to replace the drop hitch to do it:(.
__________________
2014 Phaeton 40 QBH
2018 Jeep Recon (ordered)
garykk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 06:05 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
justaroamer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Ozarks
Posts: 517
I have towed Wranglers a few miles. Hope this helps ....

On my former motorhome towing a 2008 Rubicon, I had tire wear same as OP. I towed with level tow bar using a drop. Had tire wear/feathering. When I got a different motorhome the height was fine with out the use of a drop and tire wear dropped dramatically with the same '08 in tow. Traded the '08 for an '12 and had little tire wear on the front, but is still there, but not as bad. Like Mister Rogers said, can you spell rotate. "X" rotation is even better. Every trip is best.
Now we all know that a happy dog wags his/her tail in a rhythmic motion when happy. When excited the speed of the tail gets faster and erratic. The tow on the back of the coach is the end of the tail. If the dog is in wind, bad roads (rutted tracks), bad front end alignment causing constant steering correction, etc. Simply put, what you do in the front has a drastic effect on the toad (at the end of the tail). Most of us towing Jeep Wranglers with aggressive tires only exaggerates the end result of wear/feathering/cupping, etc. Have had all issues checked out and can conclude towing four down with aggressive tires and add on drop hitch receivers
can cause excessive wear conditions on the toad front tires.
I am happy now not having to use a drop receiver. Hitch Extenders/Drops and extenders for bike racks and other accessories, only exaggerates the issue.
__________________
♫ Happy Trails... to You ♪....., Until We Meet Again ♪..... ♫
justaroamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 12:59 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
DAN L's Avatar
 
Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 2,898
Quote:
Originally Posted by garykk View Post
Pulling a new Wrangler this year and I have noticed that the front tires are wearing on the outside on both tires( feathering). This never happened with my old 94 wrangler. Tow bar is well within the required height...at this rate I will burn up the tires on this trip..I am assuming the MH is taking the weight off the front of the jeep on bumps etc..
in addition to front toad alignment, consider installing a track bar on the rear of your moho to keep the tail from wagging.
__________________
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 12:56 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
garykk's Avatar
 
Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Southern NM
Posts: 1,312
Quote:
Originally Posted by justaroamer View Post
I have towed Wranglers a few miles. Hope this helps ....

On my former motorhome towing a 2008 Rubicon, I had tire wear same as OP. I towed with level tow bar using a drop. Had tire wear/feathering. When I got a different motorhome the height was fine with out the use of a drop and tire wear dropped dramatically with the same '08 in tow. Traded the '08 for an '12 and had little tire wear on the front, but is still there, but not as bad. Like Mister Rogers said, can you spell rotate. "X" rotation is even better. Every trip is best.
Now we all know that a happy dog wags his/her tail in a rhythmic motion when happy. When excited the speed of the tail gets faster and erratic. The tow on the back of the coach is the end of the tail. If the dog is in wind, bad roads (rutted tracks), bad front end alignment causing constant steering correction, etc. Simply put, what you do in the front has a drastic effect on the toad (at the end of the tail). Most of us towing Jeep Wranglers with aggressive tires only exaggerates the end result of wear/feathering/cupping, etc. Have had all issues checked out and can conclude towing four down with aggressive tires and add on drop hitch receivers
can cause excessive wear conditions on the toad front tires.
I am happy now not having to use a drop receiver. Hitch Extenders/Drops and extenders for bike racks and other accessories, only exaggerates the issue.
You may have a point. When I towed my 94 wrangler last year, it had a lift with 31" tires and a higher hitch so the tow bar was level with the MH..never had any tire wear for 5k miles that was noticeable.
After the realignment and tow bar adjustment, its not as bad now .
__________________

__________________
2014 Phaeton 40 QBH
2018 Jeep Recon (ordered)
garykk is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
tires, toad



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:52 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.