Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 03-26-2014, 04:27 PM   #1
Country Coach Owners Club
Toad tow system

OK, I've secured a 2008 Ford Edge as a toad. Now please convince me as to the best tow appliances to buy. Plus, is it best to use a surge brake, brake in a box, etc. Will be doing some mountain driving to Washington and south so not all flat towing. Have a 2003 Country Coach Allure. And no, I'm not particularly handy so will have the installation done professionally so ease and installation costs are a factor. Thanks in advance for all your insights.

KiheiKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-26-2014, 06:38 PM   #2
Damon Owners Club
Blue Ox tow bar and SMI brake system.

macandphyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 07:20 PM   #3
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Blue Ox tow bar and Roadmaster Invisibrake.

Roadmaster Inc. - Tow Bars, Braking Systems & RV Accessories

Jon & Sue Francis (Retired U.S.A.F.)
Lil Girl-Rescued, Abby Rescued, Peaches Rescued
06 Allegro 35TSA Workhorse Chassis
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 07:31 PM   #4
Newmar Owners Club
I use Blue Ox and SMI as well. I like the proportional braking of the SMI AF1, if you have a DP coach with air brakes.

I do find one of the claims for the Invisibrake disingenuous - "NOTHING. Zip. Zero. Zilch. Nada. Nil. That's what you have to do to connect and disconnect InvisiBrake." Except you DO have to connect the cable for the break-away system. On the AF1, you connect the break-away cable and the air hose.
2008 King Aire 4562, Spartan K3(GT) w/ Cummins ISX, Motosat HD-SL5 w/ SWM-8, Multiswitch, HR34 Genie
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 5.7L V8 Hemi w/ Blue Ox Aventa LX Tow Bar and baseplate, SMI Air Force One brake
FlyingDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 05:30 PM   #5
I couldn't be happier with my Readybrute system.
John and Karen
2012 Thor Challenger 36FD
2013 Fiat 500 Toad
AKJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 05:51 PM   #6
There are lots of different choices for braking systems and quite a few different tow bars. Consequently, there are lots of opinions. All of this has been discussed in depth previously. I would suggest using the iRV2 search window at the top of the page to find lots of prior input from forum members. (Or you can just use what I use, which is the best of course)
George R. - Fulltiming since January '03
2007 Newmar Mountain Aire 3991
2012 Chevy Malibu LT1
gruelens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 05:55 PM   #7
Tiffin Owners Club
Uh unh... I have the best.
Ron, Sandie, and Maggie May
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH
2011 GMC Terrain SLT-2
lanerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 07:19 AM   #8
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
There are many braking systems so I will deal with them by class for the most part:
Surge brakes (Blue ox or Ready brake) the one "Concern" I have heard is the cable under the car can size up and cost you pads and rotors and perhaps more... I suspect that since I tow every 1-3 weeks,, This should not be a problem with me.. But for an example of what I am talking about.

Same thing happens on many cars to the parking brake cables.

I am considering surge brakes for my next system.

Brake in a box: these systems like Patroit. Apolo, Brake Buddy, need to be installed EVERY TIME you tow.. It is very tempting for a short tow to say "Oh, It's too much troubl.......OH S!!!!!" I know of folks who admit to fofgetting it for short tows.. Thankfully they did not do the second part of that....yet...

Plus there is a chance of making a mistake and there is a lot of work to do to put 'em in when compared to the other systems, both above and below.

Installed systems other than surge brakes.. Back when I part-timed this is what I use: Most of these systems take mear seconds to hook up and un-hook.. All the way down to ZERO seconds for the Invisible brake, (Note many can be made zero hookup and note 2, This does not count the time to clip on the break-away line.)

Of these the M&G system, if your motor home has air brakes, is very highly rated.

And the US-Gear Unified Brake Decelerator is the one that gives the motor home driver the greatest amount of control over the towed brakes, it is porportional (Adjustable too) progressive, and you can operate the towed brakes from the motor home driver's seat INDEPENDENT of the MH brakes.. handy if hooking up on a hill.

Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote