Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-12-2013, 09:28 AM   #1

Toad/Towed Question

I've looked at a lot of the old threads on this, but was looking for some advice. We are looking for a toad to meet these requirements:

Will be able to tow a 3000 lb. boat/trailer
4x4 SUV
Daily driver
6 or 8 cylinders
Size of Toyota Hilander or Nissan Pathfinder.
Will be used for ski trips in winter.
Towable behind a Class A M/H
Towable 4 down.
Wife prefers automatic...poor hearing...she can't hear when to shift a manual transmission.

Is there a vehicle available that will do all that? It seems like most get eliminated by transmission lubrication problems or some other technical reasons. Thanks for any advice!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-12-2013, 10:08 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Jeep Wranglers, Libertys, and Grand Cherokees (I think) meet all those requirements, if you get one with 4WD (so it has a transfer case with neutral) and the factory tow package. I think the Grand Cherokee would be the one in the right size range compared to the Highlander or Pathfinder. As for finding a specific one for sale, can't help you there.

Old 05-12-2013, 10:12 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I may be wrong; but i think the Jeep Wrangler would be your best choice out of the Jeep Lineup.
AND it will keep you with in your GCWR for the ALLEGRO.

2012 Tiffin Allegro 34TGA
2013 Jeep Wrangler Sport
woodburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 10:15 AM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Full.Monte View Post
I've looked at a lot of the old threads on this, but was looking for some advice. We are looking for a toad to meet these requirements:

Will be able to tow a 3000 lb. boat/trailer
4x4 SUV
Daily driver
6 or 8 cylinders
Size of Toyota Hilander or Nissan Pathfinder.
Will be used for ski trips in winter.
Towable behind a Class A M/H
Towable 4 down.
Wife prefers automatic...poor hearing...she can't hear when to shift a manual transmission.

Is there a vehicle available that will do all that? It seems like most get eliminated by transmission lubrication problems or some other technical reasons. Thanks for any advice!
Motorhome magazine has a tow vehcle guide. It is free to download. It describes, by manufacturer, all capabilities, restrictions and proceedures. Use this as a basis to choose your tow vehicle. www.motorhome.com/download-dinghy-guides/
Havefun camping!
Old 05-12-2013, 03:48 PM   #5

Forest River Owners Club
We've had both a Jeep Wrangler, and now a Jeep Liberty. We are most happy with the Liberty. It has much better comfort, better heating and air-conditioning, and much more accessible room than the Wrangler. Also, the Wrangler really isn't a very good tow vehicle. We did manage to tow a small pop-up with ours but the Liberty is much more suitable. We have the automatic 4-wheel drive. It is simple to hook up, shift into neutral and tow away. I believe it meets all your requirements.
Old 05-12-2013, 05:33 PM   #6

I agree with Chillybilly. For a used vehicle (now discontinued, correct?), the Liberty meets every requirement you have listed. I'm not sure if there is another SUV out there that meets all that you listed. It's also close to the size and specifications of the Pathfinder or Highlander but just a bit smaller and lighter.

-harry
Old 05-12-2013, 06:06 PM   #7

Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Our toad/daily drive is 4x4 Ford Explorer 4.6 v-8 tows 4 down great and has plenty of power for towing.
Old 05-15-2013, 11:09 AM   #8

Thank you! You guys are great! I will go look at some jeeps at the dealer to see what might work best for us. I'm a little afraid of the Ford lineup as I've read and heard various stories about transmission unreliability over the years.
I had some problems with a Ford Taurus I owned years ago and that also colors my preferences. I hope they've improved and my experience is just old news. Thanks again!
Old 05-15-2013, 12:20 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Grand Cherokee should do nicely
zip0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 12:54 PM   #10

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Wife has a Highlander but don't think it can be towed or put on dolly.
Traded my truck for a Jeep. Works great (tow) and fun to drive.
tcopeland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 03:03 PM   #11

Country Coach Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
I have to agree with the Jeep Liberty. Unfortunately it appears 2012 was the last year made. Have a baseplate picked out, and someone to install it on my 2012 Liberty. The Liberty is a nice, yet less expensive alternative to the Grand Cherokee. This is our third Liberty.
FMCA #F431170, GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655
2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Class B
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Medico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 07:38 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodburner View Post
I may be wrong; but i think the Jeep Wrangler would be your best choice out of the Jeep Lineup.
AND it will keep you with in your GCWR for the ALLEGRO.
Yes, the GCVWR is an unknown at this point. My MH has an 18000 GVWR rating, but weighs 14,000 and change empty. The Liberty has a 4290lb weight. I don't see a sticker number for the MH GCVWR. It does have a class III hitch on it, for whatever that's worth. I wish I knew the GCVWR number.