Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-03-2006, 04:59 PM   #15

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have found it helpful sometimes to backing up with the toad if someone is in it holding the steering wheel at straight ahead position for backing up straight. If at an angle, we hold the steering wheel cut at that last angle as we back up so as to retrace the track we entered with. This seems to alleviate most of the scuffing and wheel turning into the stops. and gives us a second cut at manuevering.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-04-2006, 09:15 AM   #16

I'm glad to read this post. I will be FTing summer '07 - solo in a class a w/toad. It is a concern of mine - especially the fuel thing. It seems the diesel pumps can be anywhere, from off by themselves to the middle of the island. Just finding the right pump w/out another pair of eyes will be a challenge. Any thoughts about how to manage w/out a navigator? I'm very comfortable driving/handling rig w/out toad, so I imagine I'll learn as I go. Kathy
'02 KSDP #3669
Kat31m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 02:51 PM   #17

All these ideas are great but if worst comes to worst one person can get in the TOAD, start it up shift into reverse and take up the tension then the mh shifts into reverse and you back up. That way there won't be any damage to the running gear of the TOAD. This assumes there are two people!
Old 09-06-2006, 09:26 AM   #18

Lots of good tips here. I also make sure I have plenty of fuel on board before going through a large city unless I know there is a truck stop on my route. Many stations in urban areas have a limited amount of space to enter/exit and they probably don't have diesel fuel available. Something else no one has mentioned is to make sure there is plenty of overhead room between your coach and any kind of cover or canopy in the refueling area.

8.3L Cummins ISC
BIGRED1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 09:56 AM   #19

All of the above are very good things to remember but if the DW tells you to TURN HERE NOW and you do then find you're on a dead end road you just do what you have to do. I'm towing my Vibe on a Kar Kaddy and the above happened to us last year. We just unloaded the car, unhooked the Kar Kaddy, turned the RV around, pulled the Kaddy around and reloaded the car. It took a little over 15 minutes. If you are pulling on all fours it should take less time.
It happened again this year in Oregon. We wanted to hike to a light house and the sign said parking around the next corner. Pulled into a parking lot but it was full of cars and on a 40 degree downhill slope. This time she drove the car until we could find a level spot to reload it.
Life has its inconveniences. Just do what you have to do and go on.
DLBatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 12:04 AM   #20

Hello CT Yankee: Like yourself I had been reading this fantastic site for quite awhile until I recently logged on as a member. The advise is great and the people are most gracious. I have been driving a Class A for about 2 yrs now with 15,000 miles in that time. My prior rig was a 30 foot Georgie Boy C and I find the A so much better to handle. I too am about to tow a 2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport I bought 2 days ago. Right now I'm looking to find a way to adapt a base plate I had fastened onto my 97 Wrangler tube grille.. I too use the Co Pilot w/ my laptop and it does make life a lot easier. Also the bride and I use a set of walkie talkies for many things including backing and other two party chores. Saves a lot of steps. Wish you the very best. bill
bill carle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 01:28 PM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
In 6 years we only got into the situation that we had to unhook the towed one time. My fault, I told him the wrong turn. The Next Exit is better than nothing. We are hoping that the company that bought the copyrights to the Exit Authority will get back into business. We always faced away from the station when getting gas and usually only used Flying J and other big rig friendly stations. Happy Trails
Old 10-02-2006, 06:00 AM   #22
adj

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We have been FT for 10 years. Probable have traveled 45-55000 miles.

I'll add this little tidbit to the rest of the good points discussion.

When I'm on secondary roads, if a gas station appears that can easily be entered/exited, I will pull in and top off.

04 Lapalma 33'
adj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 08:17 AM   #23
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
I agree with Dale & Betty. Especially on secondary roads, you never know how far it'll be until the next station you can get into, so don't pass up the chance to top off the tank - even if you're already at 3/4 full.

L-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 02:24 PM   #24

Would it be possible to have the wife get into the TOAD and just steer the wheels to follow the pushing of the MH ? The problem is the front wheels of the TOAD ,is it not?
Oh-one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 01:03 PM   #25

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Oh-one:
Would it be possible to have the wife get into the TOAD and just steer the wheels to follow the pushing of the MH ? The problem is the front wheels of the TOAD ,is it not? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

In theory that should help, but have you ever tried to turn the wheel with the power steering off--it can be tough. Plus, in my case at least I would have to remove the auxiliary braking system to give her room to sit--at that point I might as well just unhook the toad.

Jeep Wrangler
Gary the Wombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 03:39 PM   #26

2006 edition of Next Exit is available here and it list in red RV accessable facilities.

http://rvbookstore.com/shop/search.a...&submit=Search
Old 10-17-2006, 11:48 PM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Pastor Charlie, welcome to iRV2.com. We are glad to have you join us here and look forward to reading of your adventures and experienices. Thanks for reminding us of the Exit Authority for RV accessible stopping places. Good luck to you and take care.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 04:34 AM   #28

Workhorse Chassis Owner
We travel with a Master Tow Dolly towing a Toyota Corolla.

The previous posts offer good advice.

I would NEVER attempt to back up the Tow Dolly with the car onboard.

We can unhook the dolly and get the car off very quickly.

My only concern is causing an inconvenience for others traveling the same road as I do if faced with this problem.

We have never faced this situation, although we were ALMOST faced with trying to get under an 11'6 bridge with the 13' clearance we comfortably like to have. However, we saw the clearance limit in time and was able to pull into a parking area to turn around. Learned another lesson with this one.

We do the following:

1. NEVER get in a HURRY!
2. Never get in a hurry!
3. Plan ahead
4. Co-pilot plays an important role in helping to ID appropriate locations for in and out. Also, does the road go around a building, just in case.
4A. HOWEVER, as the Pilot, it is my RESPONSIBILITY to make a determination on whether I enter any given location. IT'S on me if it goes wrong.
5. Plan ahead, don't get in a hurry!
6. PLAN AHEAD
7. I will not be rushed, I would rather have a horn blast by slowing down to view an area before I am rushed into making a decision whether to turn into a location which could cause me to have to unhook.
8. REMEMBER:
Plan Ahead
Never Rush
Learn to unhook quickly, safely and smile.

IF that's the worst that happens, it is a good day.

Happy Trails with NO unhooking turnarounds.

Low Clearances

http://www.aitaonline.com/Info/Low%20Clearances.html
SideRoads is offline   Reply With Quote