Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-23-2015, 01:04 PM   #1

Toad towing/Base plate

Has anyone ever used just the base plate adapter instead of buying the entire base plate. I was thinking that one could be made much cheaper using the adapter only. It will be going on a 2001 Dodge Dakota 4x4. Thanks for any ideas and input.
lonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-23-2015, 02:15 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Problem is when you make your own you shift the liability onto yourself. If what you made every broke and you killed someone . . . Nuff Said.
Ranger Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 02:19 PM   #3

Thanks Ranger. I was going to have a local Machine Shop weld it on, if others like you thought it would work.
Old 12-23-2015, 02:56 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger Smith View Post
Problem is when you make your own you shift the liability onto yourself. If what you made every broke and you killed someone . . . Nuff Said.
In most cases you don't have to make your own. Most mfgs sell adapters. I would think it would be just fine to use them.
Rich
Old 12-23-2015, 03:15 PM   #5

Would this help.Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1450908943.745349.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	114779
Old 12-25-2015, 08:53 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Are you talking about the Roadmaster face bar when you say "adapter"? Not all tow bars use them and the tow bar connects directly to a fitting on the base plate.

Whether welding some adapter on is any easier or cheaper than using the custom-designed base plate will surely vary by vehicle make/model and the type of tow bar used. It wouldn't be for my Blue Ox Aventa LX.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 04:38 PM   #7

Thanks everyone for your suggestions.
Old 12-25-2015, 04:51 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
Are you talking about the Roadmaster face bar when you say "adapter"? Not all tow bars use them and the tow bar connects directly to a fitting on the base plate.
I too am not sure what you mean by "adapter". Are you referring to the small adapters used to connect...say a Roadmaster tow bar to a vehicle equipped with a Blue Ox base plate?

Ron
lanerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 08:38 AM   #9

RON, Sorry but I don't have a picture of the adapter, but it is the piece that my Blue OX tow bar hooks to on the towed vehicle. A large pin connects them both.
Old 12-26-2015, 10:13 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Roadmaster tow bars have a "cross bar" which is actually a horizontal stiffener. The "V" shape tow bar connects to the cross bar, and the cross bar is what actually ties onto the base plates. The cross bar is actually a component of the tow bar. I suppose it could be welded direct to a front bumper of vehicles that have a fair ly broad steel bumper. Few modern sedans or SUVs do, but some Jeeps and trucks have it.

Roadmaster BlackHawk 2 10,000 lb. All Terrain Tow Bar - By Roadmaster | HitchSource.com
Old 12-26-2015, 03:56 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonny View Post
RON, Sorry but I don't have a picture of the adapter, but it is the piece that my Blue OX tow bar hooks to on the towed vehicle. A large pin connects them both.
Is the base plate a Blue Ox also? I'm not a Blue Ox expert, but all toads I've seen with Blue Ox base plate and tow bar, the tow bar connects directly to the base plate that sticks out in front of the toad.

Now if the toad has....say a Roadmaster base plate, an adapter is needed to connect a Blue OX tow bar to it. These are small units that convert the "connection" from one to the other. I recently had to do this with my friend's toad that we set up with a ReadyBrute tow bar and Blue Ox base plates.

Sorry, but I just don't understand what you are getting at. Pictures would be nice, or a web site that sells these "adapters" you are referring to.

Ron
lanerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 09:32 AM   #12

Ron

Thanks for the reply. Type in Blue Ox adapter and you will see what I am talking about. Sorry but I don't know how to put a picture of it here.
Old 12-27-2015, 11:07 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonny View Post
Ron

Thanks for the reply. Type in Blue Ox adapter and you will see what I am talking about. Sorry but I don't know how to put a picture of it here.
You mean the round pin looking thing? That has a split on one end for the towbar to attach to? Blue Ox makes those removable so that the baseplate is hidden when not in use. They're not really adapters, they're just a removable part of the baseplate.

The hard part of the engineering of the baseplate is the structural loads, especially side to side. Very few vehicles have the required structural strength in the front end without adding a real baseplate. The only ones I know of are some Wranglers with after-market bumpers. Those you can add brackets directly to the tow points on the bumper.
Old 12-28-2015, 08:22 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Type in Blue Ox adapter and you will see what I am talking about.
The point is that there are many "adapters" that might be used with a Blue base plate or Bue Ox tow bar and we have no idea which one you are talking about. There are adapter to use a Blue Ox tow bar on a Roadmaster base plate, adapters to use Roadmaster or Demco tow bars with Blue Ox base plates, and adapters for different sizes or older modles as well.

This page lists a dozen or so of them, and there are more from Roadmaster and Demco:
Blue Ox Tow Bar Adapters

Tags
toad, tow, towing