Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-10-2017, 09:31 PM   #71

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
With toad still tethered, with one arm or no arms the wheels will turn, toad will roll; on a turn it will also roll.
The physics goes against a short breakaway cable.
The SMI AF1 system I have, came with a short breakaway cable. I'm guessing it's that way for a reason.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-10-2017, 09:37 PM   #72

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSagal View Post
I saw the last post, and thought I would google if cars behind motor homes in Massachusetts needed aux brakes, and found this page.

I know it is from a brake manufacturer, so there is a potential for some bias, but it seemed legit...

Towing Laws | BrakeBuddy - Braking systems for motorhomes towing a vehicle
And I guarantee you it's wrong for WA and CA! They did get it right for OR though. If they're wrong for 2 out of 3 states I wonder how many others are wrong?
And, you're also right in that that site, as are most others selling braking systems IS "biased"!! In fact they outright lie!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 08:24 AM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryW21 View Post
Hopefully those towing a toad without a brake system will be on a different highway than me.
Add me to that, I'm amazed that people make conscious decisions to put themselves and others at risk.
Polyian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 08:43 AM   #74

Toad towing without a brake system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyian View Post
Add me to that, I'm amazed that people make conscious decisions to put themselves and others at risk.

It's simpler than that.
They are "cheaping out" with the hope they will never need the benefit of a much shorter stopping distance.
They trade off the "I'll never have that issue" with "holy smokes this litigation is making me go broke".
In a perfect world, only horses wear blinders.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 10:00 AM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
It's simpler than that.
They are "cheaping out" with the hope they will never need the benefit of a much shorter stopping distance.
They trade off the "I'll never have that issue" with "holy smokes this litigation is making me go broke".
In a perfect world, only horses wear blinders.
Agreed...and there is also the lack of a 'break-a-way' issue. A multi car pile up with multiple victims would pretty much destroy someone's financial future...I can just picture the ambulance chasing lawyers circling the scene.
Polyian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 03:48 AM   #76

In a perfect world, their risk taking, cheaping out, whatever the reasons would only affect them. We all know that this ain't a perfect world. I can only tell you this. If they hit me, or their unstopped road hits me, and one of my family members is injured, they are in for a world hurt.

I've also realized that people like that can't be swayed by the first hand experience of others, laws, or the fear of hurting someone due to their actions. You can't fix them and you can't convince them. It's like talking to your pet rock. I hope their ah ha moment, you know that split second when you know you screwed up royally, doesn't come at the cost of someone else's life. At worst, they will be examples of the Darwin Award.

I'm done. Better things to do. Maybe I'll go try to teach my dog multiplication. Bet I have better results.
BPoland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 07:10 AM   #77

There is a breakaway system, your traveling on an interstate 60mph car breaks away and stops short, eight cars pile up people killed and hospitalized ,your not in deep siit?
toymaker10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 07:15 AM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by toymaker10 View Post
There is a breakaway system, your traveling on an interstate 60mph car breaks away and stops short, eight cars pile up people killed and hospitalized ,your not in deep siit?
If you did everything required then you won't be guilty of negligence.
69Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 05:08 PM   #79

Alpine Owners Club
Toad towing without a brake system.

Quote:

They did not stop in time you did, you are the first car. If you do not have a breakaway switch, your toad crosses the median killing the 4 teenagers in a van headed in the other direction. Police investigate and determine there was no braking system installed, guess who is in "deep siit"?

Install a supplemental braking system with a properly adjusted breakaway switch, adequate safety chains/cables and when your hitch breaks, your toad brakes and you pull it safely to the side of the road, end of story (after you get the hitch repaired and maybe a few new tires for the car) but no one dies!
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 05:14 AM   #80

The sad truth is, no matter what is said, what laws are quoted, or personal experiences shared, those that are convinced that auxiliary braking systems are for everybody else, are not going to change their mind. Two things I pray for:
1) One one my loved one aren't impacted by their decision
2) They will be able to live with the outcome - not so much this one, since they knew better.
BPoland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 09:04 PM   #81

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPoland View Post
The sad truth is, no matter what is said, what laws are quoted, or personal experiences shared, those that are convinced that auxiliary braking systems are for everybody else, are not going to change their mind. Two things I pray for:

2) They will be able to live with the outcome - not so much this one, since they knew better.

Some people don't know good advise when they are handed it.
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 09:31 PM   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPoland View Post
X2 Well said!!~
Old 01-15-2017, 06:44 AM   #83

Quote:
Sure, and you can think of other scenarios. However, the law judges incidents by the "reasonable man" standard. That is, what would a reasonable man have done? Would a reasonable man have equipped the vehicle with a breakaway system, or not, notwithstanding the notion that if it stopped a breakaway car quickly a pileup could occur?

I think a jury of 12 would always say the system should be there.
Somewhat aside, a pileup in that instance would likely be due to the others following too closely.
CapnJustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 07:08 AM   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandave View Post
Before I go on, I am not a DOT official. I am asking who has towed their toad withou an auxiliary brake system. I understand most of the state regulations and possible bad scenarios of of not using an auxiliary brake system. Almost all large rv parks that I have been in during the past 40 years still have people who tow without a braking system. My question is; have you towed withou, do you tow without, and would you tow without. Thanks for your answers.
I've looked at all the discussion here so far and am amazed at the varying scenarios for a breakaway, in addition to the basic question of ordinary braking.

I am new to the MH world. I installed a braking system that gives me truly proportional braking and I can stop shorter WITH the toad than without. I did not intend to test that notion, but an "opportunity" arose. I also have a breakaway system that will actuate simply by a pull of the plug without other inputs.

It's the M&G Engineering system. It's a bit more pricey but I became convinced that it was the best design. And there is nothing to hook-up or un-hook. It's permanent and out of the way.

No affiliation, just a satisfied customer wanting to add to the info pool of this very important topic.

My opinion on the legal risk of towing without an aux brake system (AND breakaway) is that it is an unreasonable risk and one that could result in a charge of criminal negligence. I'm a retired Texas State District Judge and now mediate disputes for fun and profit. You will lose.
CapnJustice is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad, towing, tow, brake