Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-24-2019, 04:40 PM   #1

Toad umbilical cord electrical question

I recently discovered that my tail lights on my toad do not light up when I turn on the headlights in my motorhome.

Both the motorhome and the toad have the same male connection. Five pins in a circle with one pin in the middle.

My question is: how do I narrow it down to being a wiring problem with one or the other? Anyone know which pin would be the taillight pin? And how would I test it to determine where my problem is?

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0300.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	267.8 KB
ID:	232986  
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-24-2019, 04:44 PM   #2

They are usually a wiring standard. Google should tell you the pin order and what circuit they are for. I had the same issue work a 7 pin connector.
suicidetuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 04:55 PM   #3

Make sure the pins and mating sockets are clean and tight. Over time they get dirty and corroded and a bit loose. I clean them with contact cleaner or brake cleaner then lube with WD 40. You can gently spread the pins in your photo with a small screwdriver to tighten their fit in the mating sockets. Careful not to overdo it on that.
Old 01-24-2019, 04:56 PM   #4

If you rotate your picture 90 degrees clockwise (right) putting the notch at the top, then the largest pin, the right side upper is a ground, the left hand upper is the brake control, the bottom two are turn signals and the very top one is tail lights sometimes called marker lights, center one is aux used to charge battery sometimes.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=...48460171587818
Old 01-24-2019, 04:58 PM   #5

Maybe this will help.

Remember. If you use an umbilical cord with male plugs on each end and have a female plug in on the toad the toad will not be wired exactly like the female plug on the coach. It will be a mirror image of the coach.
AKIQPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 05:18 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogulite View Post
I recently discovered that my tail lights on my toad do not light up when I turn on the headlights in my motorhome.
If you put the flashers on do the taillights on the toad flash? If so, I think that puts the problem on the motorhome side.
affreeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 06:22 PM   #7

Thanks

Thanks AKIQPilot & nutcher for the description and diagram. That helps. Now, I suppose I can get an electrical tester, turn on the motorhome lights and see if I get a reading from the top pin. Is that correct? If I do, then my toad was wired incorrectly?

Thanks again
Old 01-24-2019, 06:31 PM   #8

Quote:
Thanks AKIQPilot & nutcher for the description and diagram. That helps. Now, I suppose I can get an electrical tester, turn on the motorhome lights and see if I get a reading from the top pin. Is that correct? If I do, then my toad was wired incorrectly?

Thanks again
Correct. A multi meter is a good investment. When you check for corrosion check the back of the connectors. I check them yearly after I found corrosion in the back of mine preventing my aux brake system from working.
redcolorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 08:06 PM   #9

Quote:

Both the motorhome and the toad have the same male connection. Five pins in a circle with one pin in the middle.

My question is: how do I narrow it down to being a wiring problem with one or the other? Anyone know which pin would be the taillight pin? And how would I test it to determine where my problem is?

Thanks
Mogulite,
While yours don't look too bad, one thing I may suggest in this kind of situation is one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/d/Trailer-Con...r+cleaning+kit

It's a tad on the spendy side but, I ordered this kit sometime early last year and have used it a zillion times already on all my various trailer connections, motorhome, truck, Jeep, motorcycle, boat trailer and more. It's a great kit to help maintenance all those pins without destroying them. Now, once you've determined what the pin-out is, us old dudes sometimes make a drawing so we can REMEMBER what each one was/is.

Next, I don't know if this has been covered or not but, sometimes, those little split pins have tendency to "shrink" in diameter due to that split. And, when that happens, they loose contact with their partners in the opposite plug. So, all that's needed is a small screwdriver to "pry" the gap apart just a small amount. That will help make all the contacts better. A small Q-tip with some dielectric grease will help prevent future corrosion.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 08:24 PM   #10

Quote:

Thanks again
Mogulite,
From what it appears, you're not all that familiar with an electrical tester. Also known as a VOM or, Volt Ohm Meter, also known as a "Multi-Meter". So, when you go looking for one, that terminology might help. Lowes, Home Depot, some auto parts stores, Amazon, eBay are just a few places that sell them. And, for what ever it's worth, DO NOT get one at Harbor Freight! If you're gonna get one, get a DECENT one, not a cheap piece of junk, just because it's CHEAP. You also don't need a top of the line one either.

I've got 3-4 of them, one in each vehicle, motorcycle, the boat etc. Ya never know when things can go hay-wire electrically.

Now, as for using it, one thing is VERY, VERY important. The black lead will always need to be clipped/attached/touching etc., a KNOWN, GOOD GROUND! That is, when working on that trailer plug, either find a good, clean bolt head or clean a piece of the frame, something, to create a good ground that, that black lead can attach to. If your ground is bad, you'll NEVER get any honest/accurate readings/answers to your investigation. And when that happens, you're chasing your tail.

So, take your time, make sure your ground is good, make sure the meter is set on the appropriate setting i.e. 12V "DC" (the meters are capable of both AC and DC testing. Good luck.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 04:09 PM   #11

For what you want to do just buy a 3or 4 dollar test light. If the light comes on you have power.
cwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 06:37 PM   #12

Check the fuses that protect the toad plug in. Most chassis will have fuses for L Turn, R Turn, Tail lights. These have nothing to do with the lights on the MH, just for the 4, 6, or 7 pin plug.
Dennis4809 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric, electrical, toad