RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-16-2019, 01:06 PM   #1

Toad vehicles

What is the best way to pull a toad with a class A motorhome, on all 4 wheels, standard transmission in neutral or towing a Dolly with the toad wheels on the dolly ?

Keithdee is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-16-2019, 01:26 PM   #2

It will depend on what kind of vehicle you're towing. Towing 4 down is preferable for hitching up more easily and not having to store the dolly on your campsite. A dolly will give you more flexibility for vehicles to tow. If you own a car that you can't tow 4 flat, you may still be able to tow it on a dolly.

Consult this link for a downloadable dinghy guide. It will list the vehicles you can tow 4 down and any manufacturer stipulations about additional steps or precautions that apply to doing this.

Downloadable Dinghy Towing Guides | MotorHome Magazine

pkanalyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 06:44 AM   #3

Do you have a specific vehicle in mind?

I used a dolly for four years before going four down. The car I was towing was capable of flat towing but I decided to use a dolly for personal preference. Not sure one method is better than the other based on my experience, however one thing I really like about flat towing is the toad is narrower than the dolly so it is easier to maneuver in tight quarters since the dolly is basically the same width as the coach.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 07:49 AM   #4
doc

Appalachian Campers
We have dolly towed a Camry. A pain to find a place to park the dolly, especially if you are traveling and overnite at a CG with only a back-in site. You have to unload the dolly, then unhook the dolly. Back in (and of course set up) then the next morning you have to do all that in reverse.
With a towed *we use a Jeep* Unhook, back in and re-hook in the AM.
We finally figured out to use a CG guide and shop for pull through sites
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 08:14 AM   #5

There's a few thing to think about here. First off don't completely trust the Motorhome magazine for what can be towed 4 down, they get this info from Demco and I found an error for 2008 F150 with a manual transmission - it cannot be towed 4 down without and driveline disconnect. That said it's a really good place to start, but check the owner's manual, most are available online. Almost any rear wheel drive vehicle can be fitted with a driveline disconnect for about $1,000 but check with Bill at Superior Drive Line 855-447-3626.

As to dollys I can see where they are a pain. Even if you don't mind the extra hook up time just think about kneeling in the rain to put the straps on the wheels. I know your RV adventure will always be in sunshine with great fishing. A tow bar is so much easier and it stows on the coach if you get the right one.
Trailers have the same issues as dollies except that you can back them up, but they won't store on our site most times. Just some stuff to think about. Me I chose 4 down with a drive line disconnect for the convenience and lack of another set of tires and bearings to service. YMMV
arcaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 10:00 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

4-down is the most convenient method, but that doesn't make it the best for every owners needs. Some toads are not capable of 4-down towing without expensive mods, so that's a factor too. And some AWD and RWD vehicle cannot be dolly-towed. Your choice of vehicle type and model has a lot to do with the towing method.

I see you stated "standard transmission in neutral". Was that a preference, or perhaps you already have a standard tranny vehicle? Cause there are automatics that are 4-down towable and also 4WD or AWD vehicles that can be flat towed. And even a few manual tranny vehicles that cannot be towed 4-down. You cannot make 100% valid assumptions based on the type of drivetrain - always verify!
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 12:16 AM   #7

Kieth, as you can tell the superior way is 4 down. Unfortunately, I don't qualify but I am perfectly happy in my ignorance.
Old 07-22-2019, 05:54 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
I am weighing in on this as I am struggling to figure out the best thing to do after a truly miserable experience in replacing a great toad that never gave me a bit of trouble but I negligently decided was in need of replacement (2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit with 75,000 miles).

I traded my 2015 Summit and bought a beautiful new 2018 Summit only to learn that with model year 2016, Jeep changed the GC electronic steering in a way that 2016 and newer GC models do not operate the same way as my 2015 did and are subject to the infamous “death wobble” under various driving conditions.

There’s plenty of discussion on the dreaded ‘“death wobble” phenomenon on this Forum - some of it mine - but the bottom line is that I have zero interest in encountering the death wobble during my own motor home travels, thank you very much.

So I spent lots of time with FCA while my new Summit sat in my driveway, trying to figure out a way forward. I went all the way up the line at FCA. I discovered at the end that they squarely know of the problem but simply do not have an engineering fix in the works. Rats.

I sold the Summit.

Next, I bought a manual transmission 2019 VW Jetta S thinking I would be home free. Aren’t all manual transmission cars without a drive axle going to both sets of wheels fully flat towable??? Nope. Turns out that VW changed their manual transmission for 2019 from 5 speed to 6 speed and the high end gears do not get sufficient lubrication to allow them to be safely flat towed.

I’m now 0 for 2.

The only good thing about any of this is that I did my learning before, not after, I bought the tow equipment for either vehicle.

So what to do?

I truly love the Jetta but can’t flat tow it. I am reluctant to use a tow dolly, I am reluctant to use a car hauler, even an aluminum one. I could possibly be talked into one or the other, but I know from plenty of past travel with my coach that flat towing with Air Force One has been the easiest, smoothest, safest way to go - at least in my experience.

I could trade my Jetta on a Cherokee (FCA has solved the past “death wobble” issue on this model). The Cherokee is most likely the only Jeep model I’d be interested in aside from a GC if and when FCA resolves its “death wobble” issue.

Or I could think about something else for a toad if I knew of something good. I have done a LOT of looking but really haven’t found anything that jumps out at me and makes me think I have the best solution. Hence my posting here.

I have ordered a new coach and it arrives in October so I do have some time to mull this over. Not sure at all what to do - and surely would prefer not to make any additional bone-headed moves again until I make the right move.

So ... I would be grateful to have some of the collective iRV2 wisdom on what to do about my dilemma.

Any and all thoughts, comments and recommendations are most welcome. Criticism on my bone-headed moves to date not so much!

Many thanks.

Deek
FMCA #363986 / 'Living the Dream' ... What an Incredible Hoot!
2020 Newmar Dutch Star 4369 / Freightliner with DriveTech / All Electric / NHSO
Deek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 06:15 PM   #9

Flat tow four down is the easiest and fastest. Not sure if it’s the cheapest. Most new car owners manuals are available online so be sure to check that for the most accurate info on what can be towed. Most of the time it’s listed as “flat towable” or “recreational towing”. That will give you what specific drivetrain is towable and any other requirements.
wjohnson913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 04:24 AM   #10

Deek, I now flat tow a Chevy Colorado crew cab and really enjoy this truck. Previously, I towed a Chevy Malibu that was also capable of flat towing but I used a dolly. Personally, I would give more consideration to towing the Jetta on a dolly for a while since you seem to like the car and it is new.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 04:44 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keithdee View Post
What is the best way to pull a toad with a class A motorhome, on all 4 wheels, standard transmission in neutral or towing a Dolly with the toad wheels on the dolly ?
I would not want to tow on a dolly as parking would add both time and stress as would hooking back up especially in unplanned situations.

One time I passed my turn and thought I would be able to u-turn in a gas station. I was wrong and completely blocking traffic. Luckily, I set a personal record of disconnecting, moving the toad than moving the rv and re-connecting the toad all in about 5-7 minutes.

Had I had a trailer I would have blocked traffic a lot longer.

I now tow a full size 2016 Ram 2500 8' bed crew cab diesel truck. A large truck for sure and preciously had a 2012 Caddie SRX and both towed without issues and takes minutes to connect and/or disconnect.

I also have an Air-force breaking system.

Good luck
Old 07-24-2019, 11:02 PM   #12

I towed a Prius on a dolly for a few trips. Decided it was too much trouble and bought a used PT Cruiser for $2k complete with Brake Buddy and Roadmaster Sterling tow bar for towing 4-down. Half way through our 2nd trip with it and it's just so much easier. I echo the previous comment too about the benefits of the narrower toad. Easier to maneuver and less worry about getting a wheel off the edge of the pavement.
Old 07-24-2019, 11:30 PM   #13

I'm sure flat towing is easier, but I have no issue with dolly towing. With the ACME EZE Tow, one can easily back up. It is not a problem, for me anyway, to store the dolly under the MH when in a campsite. All but maybe 3 feet fit under the MH. I can also sell my toad and not be worried about having the spend $$$ to get another toad setup to tow 4 down.

But I am sure, that once the $$$ are spent to tow 4 down, it is more convenient and saves maybe 5 minutes of time and crawling in the mud to hook up.

AudiDudi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad