Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-09-2015, 06:40 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Toad visibility while traveling!

We have a 31' 2002 Minnie, flat towing a 2014 Subaru Forester. I've noticed on at least two occasions drivers pulling behind us often don't see the TOAD! Does anyone have a recommendation?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-09-2015, 06:54 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrmedia View Post
We have a 31' 2002 Minnie, flat towing a 2014 Subaru Forester. I've noticed on at least two occasions drivers pulling behind us often don't see the TOAD! Does anyone have a recommendation?
Don’t see your TOAD? I have a friend that has 3 yellow magnetic signs (back and both sides) with “Car in Tow” because he was fearful that someone did not understand that the car was in tow. I have seen many drivers that drive like they do not see other cars, distracted driving (texting, on phone, etc.). I see drivers that follow toooooo close or weave in and out at higher speeds. All of this could endanger your TOAD but no matter what you do you can’t fix stupid!

Old 11-09-2015, 09:24 AM   #3

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Mrmedia-

The husband of a couple who parked their Class A near ours last Winter told the story of having his toad hit as they were on the highway. It startled them, but at least one of the towbar arms held and, except for the toad (totaled), the coach was not damaged. The other driver's injuries were not serious. Collisions do happen.

At one level, you can't do anything significant to draw attention to the fact that you have a car behind your coach ("TheArnolds" hit the nail on the head). Unlike a semi-trailer, people are just not used to sharing the road with a coach-toad combination. The only thing I do to help (a little) with visibility is to drive with the running lights on both coach and toad, day and night.

At another level, you can drive with toad near-invisibility in mind. Your aim is to encourage people not to consider pulling in close behind behind your coach. Here's something I wrote on another iRV2 thread:

"Be aware that drivers trying to fall in behind your rig often don't expect a toad to be there, or they can't see it. As a result, you have to control traffic merging from your right into your lane. I found it worthwhile to speed up a little sooner than I might without the toad, so that the merging car's driver sees it earlier and you give him more room to get into the lane. Sometimes, if the other car is alongside you and closely matched to your speed, you will have to slow and let the driver merge in front of you. You're trying to keep the thought "I'll just tap my brakes and slip in ten feet behind this RV" out of his mind. And remember: Visibility of your toad (from the side) is even worse at night."

Mark
Old 11-09-2015, 10:13 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If the toad is a brighter different color than the RV, it helps. I personally would never paint a trailer the same as the coach.
None road colors helps too. Not tan (dirt), brown, black (asphalt), or creme (cement). Green blends in with the environment.
Old 11-09-2015, 02:31 PM   #5

I find most issues occur when the other driver is merging onto the highway. Amazing how many people don't look into their mirrors until they actually have to change lanes into your path - then slam the brakes on. These are the ones that tend to cut left as soon as the rear of the MH goes by, again without checking their mirror or shoulder check. I have found it safer to tap my Airhorns when they obviously are not paying attention. Startles a few but wakes them up !
britcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 02:45 PM   #6
Senior Member - DIYer

Ford Super Duty Owner
A lot of toads are wired so only two rear lights are on when the MH running lights are on.

I wired my TOAD so that all the TOADs running lights (rear, side, and front) come on when the MH running lights are on.

Same for the turn signal. The TOADS front and rear turn signals work with the MHs.

It won't do MACH 2, but I can get a sandwich and take a pee.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 11:36 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrmedia View Post
Well,
All I can say is, you've encountered some clearly CLUELESS DRIVERS out there. I mean, how visible does a CAR need to be? There's air heads behind the wheels of many cars etc. out there. Trying to make yourself more VISIABLE to them would most likely be futile anyways. They're off in a different world, probably texting.

IN the near 40 years we've been RVing and traveling, camping and towing, we haven't really had any situation where other drivers did not see, or, were not aware of our toad, in given situations.
Scott
FIRE UP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 05:39 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1v3fr33ord1 View Post
Mrmedia-

The husband of a couple who parked their Class A near ours last Winter told the story of having his toad hit as they were on the highway. It startled them, but at least one of the towbar arms held and, except for the toad (totaled), the coach was not damaged. The other driver's injuries were not serious. Collisions do happen.

At one level, you can't do anything significant to draw attention to the fact that you have a car behind your coach ("TheArnolds" hit the nail on the head). Unlike a semi-trailer, people are just not used to sharing the road with a coach-toad combination. The only thing I do to help (a little) with visibility is to drive with the running lights on both coach and toad, day and night.

At another level, you can drive with toad near-invisibility in mind. Your aim is to encourage people not to consider pulling in close behind behind your coach. Here's something I wrote on another iRV2 thread:

"Be aware that drivers trying to fall in behind your rig often don't expect a toad to be there, or they can't see it. As a result, you have to control traffic merging from your right into your lane. I found it worthwhile to speed up a little sooner than I might without the toad, so that the merging car's driver sees it earlier and you give him more room to get into the lane. Sometimes, if the other car is alongside you and closely matched to your speed, you will have to slow and let the driver merge in front of you. You're trying to keep the thought "I'll just tap my brakes and slip in ten feet behind this RV" out of his mind. And remember: Visibility of your toad (from the side) is even worse at night."

Mark

Mark,

Thanks for your response. What you've suggested is what I've been trying to do. As someone else responded, "You can't fix stupid!" I'd just like to avoid the case as you mentioned last winter. Unfortunately, our toad is black and the most recent experience was a driver who was passing me in the passing lane, then apparently realized his/her exit was next and hit the brakes to fall in behind our MH, only to eventually see the toad. The good news was we weren't hit and no one was injured. Again, thanks for your suggestions.

John and Karen
Old 11-10-2015, 06:12 AM   #9

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
John and Karen-

It's ironic that the person who almost hit your toad is the same one that had just passed both coach and toad on the left. Goes to show how the human mind works in a crisis ("MY EXIT!!!")

I hope your future travels are as trouble-free as Scott's ("FIRE UP").

Mark
Old 11-10-2015, 06:22 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
this was interesting. It got me to thinking that if I do have to travel after dark, I will turn the parking lights on my toad and just let it use the jeep battery for those lights and keep a little safer. The brake lights are powered from the coach. mark

Tags
toad, travel