Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-05-2013, 09:44 AM   #29

Another pic
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	361.9 KB
ID:	38241  
KSCRUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-05-2013, 09:53 AM   #30

Our MH is only rated to tow 5,000# and with this 4X4 Ford Escape which is 3,400# and the 1,400# trailer we are only about 200 pounds from that limit.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	308.1 KB
ID:	38242  
Old 05-05-2013, 10:13 AM   #31

I was always taught to stay farther away from the max. My Dodge Durango had a 9500# max, and when we were looking at trailers I was told to look at trailers that had a max loaded weight of 8500#.
ArmyVet717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 10:15 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSCRUDE View Post
Our MH is only rated to tow 5,000# and with this 4X4 Ford Escape which is 3,400# and the 1,400# trailer we are only about 200 pounds from that limit.
According to everything I've read, my Fusion is around 3600#. I'm surprised your Escape weighs less.
Old 05-05-2013, 10:55 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyVet717 View Post
According to everything I've read, my Fusion is around 3600#. I'm surprised your Escape weighs less.
I pulled that number from memory, and I could be off. I did weigh the whole rig at once. Full of fuel, water, propane and most all our stuff we carry. 24,900 pounds and our gross combined weight rating is 26K. That leaves 1,100 pounds for cushion! Could not axle as it was a coop platform scale. It is what it is. I pulled the wrangler on a heavy steel trailer a couple times. About 7,500 pounds and no brakes. THe Mh has no controller in it so I just got surge brakes on the trailer now. Can pull it with any vehicle, even the escape and have brakes.
Old 05-05-2013, 11:16 AM   #34

I too wrestled with what and how to tow. I have only owned a MH for about a year. I traded my truck and 5er in on it. I lost my everyday vehicle by trading it in. I knew that the Jeeps were the simplest to flat tow so I shopped for a Jeep. I bought a Jeep Grand Cherokee and set it up for flat towing and it was easy to set up for a trip and towed like nothing was back there. There was always a hassle getting the transfer case in neutral but once in neutral no problems. The Cherokee I bought had a Hemi in it and it drank a lot more gas than I expected 13 - 14 MPG on the highway and less in town. I decided to trade it in on a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited. Much easier to ready for towing and the MPG is much better. The only dig is having to buy a new base plate. Now I have a Cherokee base plate I can't use and have the chore of putting the new Wrangler base plate on.

I thought of either a tow dolly or a car hauler but the flat tow is the way to go if you can. The tow dolly just looks dangerous and where do you put your car hauler when you get there? I would rather tow my VW Jetta, but it is an auto and it can not be towed...

Happy trails.....
lakedweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 11:21 AM   #35

I've done it both ways and found the tow bar easier to use overall, but it does comes down to personal preference. For me, I didn't like having to stow the dolly at a CG, or even at home where I had a steep driveway and the dolly was difficult to maneuver. If you're concerned about having to tow different vehicles and the expense of making each 4-down towable, then a dolly is the easiest choice.
ralphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 12:10 PM   #36

National RV Owners Club
No one has discussed the braking issue on 4 down vs dolly. 4 down with a brake system usually includes a break-away that will activate the Toads brakes if it gets loose from the MH. I'm sure a dolly's brakes will activate if it gets loose from a MH, but what about the vehicle on the dolly if it gets loose from the dolly? Always wondered about that since I've seen sometimes the straps on the tires look like they are ready to come off.
sgtjoe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 02:56 PM   #37

Freightliner Owners Club
Our dolly has safety chains for that reason and the dolly has a breakaway switch should the dolly sepia from the coach.

I'm not worried about the strength of the harness once it is fully tightened, just getting tight after the first 20 miles or so is important however.
mvpmich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 03:23 PM   #38

Workhorse Chassis Owner
My preference for a car haul trailer is up front cost. I own a 2005 AWD Ford Escape that cannot be dollies or flat towed. I can buy a new steel 14' ramp trailer for $2600 with electric brakes. The Escape weighs 3400# & the trailer is 1400# and my Winnebago tow capacity is 5000# so I don't need to buy a new toad and all of the required equipment. The plus is I can put any toad on the trailer I want as long as it weighs less than 3500#.
Old 05-05-2013, 03:55 PM   #39

Fleetwood Owners Club
I started with a dolly for a ford focus but sold it and the focus and now tow a 2003 Chevy Tracker 4x4 4 down with Roadmaster setup. I bought the tow setup new but I see them daily for used in good condition on Craigslist locally. The Tracker weighs less than 3,000 pounds, tows great and is inexpensive to buy used. I wouldn't trade your fusion for it, but it would make a great toad as it does for us.

PS - I'm towing this with an 01 Jamboree and happy with it.
Old 05-05-2013, 04:20 PM   #40

Thank you again everyone for your comments, stories and opinions.

Both my parents and my wife and I have talked about the toad vs. dolly. We found out that their 08 Grand Caravan can be towed four-down. We looked into the Remco system (trans pump, tow bar, and braking system), total cost is upwards of $3000. We then started looking at other vehicles that can be four-down towed without any modifications (manual trans or Saturn sedan), but again, the braking system and tow bar alone with be upwards $2000. I've found a few dollies in the $900-$1200 range, a coupled with electric brakes.
My parents decided that when the time comes to get rid of their minivan, they would look at vehicles that can be towed four-down, then make the full "toad" investment. At this point, cost wise, a dolly will work to tow my Fusion.
I'm glad I found this forum, so much more informative AND helpful than the first one I went to...
Old 05-05-2013, 04:26 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderso View Post
I started with a dolly for a ford focus but sold it and the focus and now tow a 2003 Chevy Tracker 4x4 4 down with Roadmaster setup. I bought the tow setup new but I see them daily for used in good condition on Craigslist locally. The Tracker weighs less than 3,000 pounds, tows great and is inexpensive to buy used. I wouldn't trade your fusion for it, but it would make a great toad as it does for us.

PS - I'm towing this with an 01 Jamboree and happy with it.
We pick up our MH tomorrow. We are very excited. We had a 92 Winnebago Brave 28', but it was not nearly in the condition the Jamboree is. And no slides, which made for close quarters.
Old 05-05-2013, 09:40 PM   #42
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyVet717 View Post
Thank you again everyone for your comments, stories and opinions.

At this point, cost wise, a dolly will work to tow my Fusion.
I'm glad I found this forum, so much more informative AND helpful than the first one I went to...
Smart move to take it in steps...so here is one more idea:
Rent a U-haul dolly for the first trip with the Fusion.
If you HATE IT, then nothing lost...if it works you, then you can shop around for the perfect dolly.

That's what I did - 3 times -> before purchasing an EZE-Tow Dolly (disc/surge brakes).
http://cartowdolly.com/

Best of luck!
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote