Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-05-2013, 10:58 PM   #43

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have a 2003 Nissan Altima and a 2005 GMC Yukon XL 3/4 ton 4X4. The GMC is to heavy to tow, and the Altima can't be towed 4 down without a Remco system. Bought a Demco Kar Kaddy SS used. I use it to tow the Altima, can't tell it is there without looking at the rear camera. No effect on speed going up hills, even Cajon and I-40 to Williams, AZ. One plus, I get better mileage because of the speed limit while towing.

Chuck

1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350,F53 Chassis Chassis build date 1/99, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags front & rear, Koni Shocks,Blue OX TruCenter,TigerTrak track bars front & rear, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar,2004 F450 Lariat 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW with B & W Custom Truck Bed, 1994 36 ft. Avion 5th Wheel
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-05-2013, 11:07 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by chboone View Post
I have a 2003 Nissan Altima and a 2005 GMC Yukon XL 3/4 ton 4X4. The GMC is to heavy to tow, and the Altima can't be towed 4 down without a Remco system. Bought a Demco Kar Kaddy SS used. I use it to tow the Altima, can't tell it is there without looking at the rear camera. No effect on speed going up hills, even Cajon and I-40 to Williams, AZ. One plus, I get better mileage because of the speed limit while towing.

Chuck
Thanks for the reply. I think we will be happy with a dolly for the time being.

Old 05-06-2013, 08:05 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
Smart move to take it in steps...so here is one more idea:
Rent a U-haul dolly for the first trip with the Fusion.
If you HATE IT, then nothing lost...if it works you, then you can shop around for the perfect dolly.

That's what I did - 3 times -> before purchasing an EZE-Tow Dolly (disc/surge brakes).
Car Tow Dolly -The Lightest and Toughest Tow Dolly For All Car Towing Needs - Acme Car Tow Dolly Company

Best of luck!

Renting from U-Haul might not be the best idea. I was going to rent one and it was $45 a day. I asked about renting for a day and dropping it off at my destination and it was $95 a day. That was the decision for me to spent 1K on a new tow dolly as it would pay for itself quickly. Maybe rent on for a day and bring it back to the same location just to see but if you have a few trips planned, it will be a huge expense.
Old 05-06-2013, 10:27 AM   #46

Quote:

Smart move to take it in steps...so here is one more idea:
Rent a U-haul dolly for the first trip with the Fusion.
If you HATE IT, then nothing lost...if it works you, then you can shop around for the perfect dolly.

That's what I did - 3 times -> before purchasing an EZE-Tow Dolly (disc/surge brakes).
http://cartowdolly.com/

Best of luck!
I actually thought about that, but as stated, the cost is ridiculous. Our first trip is this summer, 20 days total. Without tax, that amounts to around $900.
I found an almost new dolly for the same price. It has only been used once and has brakes. It is a Roadmaster RM3477. I've found others, but not nearly in the condition of this one and some do not have brakes. I just hope the person in front of me for this dolly fails to buy it.
Old 05-06-2013, 11:43 AM   #47
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyVet717 View Post
I actually thought about that, but as stated, the cost is ridiculous. Our first trip is this summer, 20 days total. Without tax, that amounts to around $900.
I found an almost new dolly for the same price. It has only been used once and has brakes. It is a Roadmaster RM3477. I've found others, but not nearly in the condition of this one and some do not have brakes. I just hope the person in front of me for this dolly fails to buy it.
Best of luck getting the dolly!

On the other point you made: "...this summer, 20 days total..."
This is only a suggestion and not intended to sound critical, but that is a VERY long trip for the first outing.

A "shake down" cruise of shorter length is really a good idea. You will discover things about the RV that you didn't even know were there, and if that thing is not working properly, it could impact your trip.

After 2 years with our RV, we are still learning things about it.

Safe travels
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 03:10 PM   #48

Quote:

This is only a suggestion and not intended to sound critical, but that is a VERY long trip for the first outing.

A "shake down" cruise of shorter length is really a good idea. You will discover things about the RV that you didn't even know were there, and if that thing is not working properly, it could impact your trip.

Safe travels

Not a bad idea. On our first motorhome my wife and I lived in it for a year while we built our house. When it came time to use it for recreation, I thoroughly went over everything on the motor home. Once I was confident, we when on a 120 mile road trip and met her parents for dinner. Everything went well. If it drives good after that, suspect there is not issues that could be caught a head of time. Our second motorhome I just thoroughly went over it. But, I did put about a hundred miles on it between picking it up and driving around town back and forth to the house and work. First trip was pretty uneventful. But, when we were on our trip, did find water in the kitchen. Found out the toilet valve was leaking in the bathroom. Plus when I came time to drain the black water tank I hooked up the flush hose and left for my final walk around while the tank drained. After noticing water on the other side of the motorhome, found the fresh water supply line to the black water tank was cracked. I thought I checked everything but guess I missed a few.
Old 05-06-2013, 03:22 PM   #49

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtjoe View Post
No one has discussed the braking issue on 4 down vs dolly. 4 down with a brake system usually includes a break-away that will activate the Toads brakes if it gets loose from the MH. I'm sure a dolly's brakes will activate if it gets loose from a MH, but what about the vehicle on the dolly if it gets loose from the dolly? Always wondered about that since I've seen sometimes the straps on the tires look like they are ready to come off.
A dolly with hydraulic surge brakes also has a breakaway cable that sets the brakes on the dolly. Ones with electric brakes should but that would require a battery on the dolly and I don't remember seeing any with a battery box. There may be some, I just haven't seen them.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 10:39 PM   #50

Quote:

Safe travels
Thank you, and yes, we do have other trips planned closer to home, but that is the main trip as have planned. A few weekend getaways should be good to learn the quickest way to set up and take down.
Old 05-06-2013, 10:41 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
A dolly with hydraulic surge brakes also has a breakaway cable that sets the brakes on the dolly. Ones with electric brakes should but that would require a battery on the dolly and I don't remember seeing any with a battery box. There may be some, I just haven't seen them.
I don't think the dolly I'm looking at has surge baked or not. I do know it has electric brakes, so getting a brake control installed is in the list of "to-do's".
I will research the surge breaks issue though.
Old 05-06-2013, 10:50 PM   #52

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyVet717 View Post
I don't think the dolly I'm looking at has surge brakes or not. I do know it has electric brakes, so getting a brake control installed is in the list of "to-do's".
I will research the surge brakes issue though.
It will have one or the other but not both, they are mutually exclusive. You are looking for a break away of some type
Old 05-07-2013, 12:08 AM   #53

Quote:
It will have one or the other but not both, they are mutually exclusive. You are looking for a break away of some type
The dolly I'm looking at is the Roadmaster RM3477.

Overall length:121"*
Overall width: at wide axle position: 102"
Height at fenders: 29"
Weight: 545 lbs.*
Maximum vehicle wt.: 4,250 lbs.
Trailer ball size: 2"
Tires: ST205-75 R14 radial
Maximum tread width:
Minimum tire width: 34" inside to inside
Maximum tire width: 77" outside to outside
•* Slideable ‘Easy-load’ ramps —***
•* Slideable ramps quickly adjust your dolly to tow almost any vehicle, large or small, weighing up to 4,250 lbs.***
•* Unique TrueGrip laser-cut pattern on ramps provides positive traction in both directions for safe loading and unloading
•* Accu-Lube™ hubs — easily repack the wheel bearings with a grease gun
•* Built-in electric brakes for safer stops
•* Deck swivels 9 for easy cornering and maneuvering
•* Ramps, axle and deck are powder coated for maximum durability
•* Complete with adjustable TieDown™ straps (fit most tires from 12 to 16 inches) and ratchets
•* High-density polyethylene fenders eliminate metal fatigue problems frequently associated with metal fenders, and they will not rust.
•* Easy assembly (average assembly time: one hour)

After reading about it, I'm not seeing anything about surge or break away.
Old 05-07-2013, 12:32 AM   #54

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
As I posted in #52 above. You will not have electric brakes AND surge brakes. They are mutually exclusive. Surge brakes are hydraulic and activated by the weight of the dolly and towed pushing against the hitch. You don't need to install anything in the tow vehicle, just hook up and go although you still need lights on at least the dolly.
That's their "economy" dolly and I don't see anything about it having a breakaway setup.
Just looked at their deluxe model, no provisions for breakaway on it either.
One thing about the laws is that you must be legal in any state you travel through, not just in your home state. There is no reciprocity on equipment like there is for drivers licenses and insurance.
The new Demco KK-460's have surge disk brakes unlike our older model that has surge drum brakes.
Old 05-07-2013, 01:03 AM   #55

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
It does have electric brakes, the breakaway is very easy to add.

Electric Brake Brakeaway Kit Pro Series- 50-85-315 | Electric Brake Wiring & Battery | Fulton | TrailerPartsDepot.com
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350,F53 Chassis Chassis build date 1/99, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags front & rear, Koni Shocks,Blue OX TruCenter,TigerTrak track bars front & rear, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar,2004 F450 Lariat 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW with B & W Custom Truck Bed, 1994 36 ft. Avion 5th Wheel
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 11:06 AM   #56

Quote:
As I posted in #52 above. You will not have electric brakes AND surge brakes. They are mutually exclusive. Surge brakes are hydraulic and activated by the weight of the dolly and towed pushing against the hitch. You don't need to install anything in the tow vehicle, just hook up and go although you still need lights on at least the dolly.
That's their "economy" dolly and I don't see anything about it having a breakaway setup.
Just looked at their deluxe model, no provisions for breakaway on it either.
One thing about the laws is that you must be legal in any state you travel through, not just in your home state. There is no reciprocity on equipment like there is for drivers licenses and insurance.
The new Demco KK-460's have surge disk brakes unlike our older model that has surge drum brakes.
Yes, I noticed there was no mention of surge brakes or any type of breakaway set up.
So there would be no need for a brake controller in the MH to pull this type of dolly?