Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-24-2013, 08:17 AM   #1

Toad Vs. Motorhome Insurance Claim

When entering the campground I made a turn which caused my Roadmaster towbar to collapse. Our Envoy toad contacted the backside of the motorhome damaging the toads fascia, grille, hood and left fender. The motorhome just got some damage on its lower plastic bumper section. The previous owner of our MH had a 10,000 lb hitch installed so he could tow his race car trailer. That probably kept the MH damage to a mimimum.

Do I have to file insurance claims with both my auto and motorhome carriers? I have Progressive on the MH and Erie on the toad.

The towbar is obviously destroyed. Does the baseplate always need to be replaced or does it only get replaced if there is visible damage?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-24-2013, 09:23 AM   #2

Been there done that! IMHO you have a claim on the toad insurance not on the motor home. I have Progressive on my motor home and USAA on the toad. I called both carriers and Progressive was very responsive, but were quick to tell me they would not cover that situation, as no damage to the motor home. They charged me with a claim even though they could not cover it! They have not raised my premiums since, but I have that claim on my records. In my limited legal knowledge, I wonder if that makes a case for using the same company to cover both vehicles, but that is another issue. I hate to learn lessons the hard way, but I recommend getting some good advice from someone before calling either carrier. I have since been advised by an attorney friend to never ever call any insurance company with generic questions about claims, as they will often record that as a claim without your knowledge, even though most state laws prohibit that practice. This is not a perfect world.

vraines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 09:25 AM   #3

O by the way, do a good check on the base plate. Do not assume anything but that it was damaged also. The body shop can do that during repairs, so make sure that is included in the claim.
vraines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 03:11 PM   #4
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
If you have damage on both vehicles, that exceeds the deductible on that vehicle, you'll need to report it to both insurance companies. If only one of them will need repairs, then you only need to report it to the company you insured that vehicle with.
2017 GMC Acadia toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 05:31 PM   #5

The deductible on the MH is $2500 with a free pass on the first claim. But the damage is so minor its not worth using my free pass. So it seems the claim will be on my auto policy. Any idea if it is treated as a collision or comprehensive claim? Since the base plate is attached to the vehicle it seems like that would be covered. Any ideas on whether they would also cover the tow bar replacement? As others here have said, you need to know what to expect before talking to your agent. They enjoy collecting the premiums but don't always like making you whole after an accident.
Old 08-24-2013, 05:40 PM   #6

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by vraines View Post
Been there done that! IMHO you have a claim on the toad insurance not on the motor home. I have Progressive on my motor home and USAA on the toad. I called both carriers and Progressive was very responsive, but were quick to tell me they would not cover that situation, as no damage to the motor home. They charged me with a claim even though they could not cover it! They have not raised my premiums since, but I have that claim on my records.
Our problems with Progressive were close to that too!
We had Progressive, no claims, and about three years of reducing deductibles. Had a rock break the windshield of the Jeep. Found a local outfit that would replace it for $154 in my driveway. Called Progressive to find out how much it would cost going through them. They ABSOLUTELY refused to give me any information till I said (as coached) "that I want to file a claim". The quote was almost $400. I told them to cancel the claim (as they said I could). What they didn't say was that I lost the reducing deductible and my rates went up due to the "claim". When I went shopping for other companies Progressive told them that there was a claim on my record of $0 to $1000. They didn't bother to say it was 0. When I found out I contacted the State Insurance Comm., they said it was legal but certainly not ethical.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 09:32 PM   #7
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
It is most likely going to be a collision claim since the vehicle was moving. Let us know how they handle it.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 10:56 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Keep us informed of the outcome.

This is one of the reasons I'm with AAA (CSAA in California). They cover my cars and motorhome so there is no finger pointing.
Old 08-25-2013, 07:50 AM   #9
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
It will be considered a collision claim.

The base plate will be considered as part of the toad as it is "permanently installed", and it should be covered. As for the tow bar, that will depend on your company's interpretation of "equipment". Some will exclude something that can be used with any/multiple vehicles. The key here is, you purchased the tow bar specifically to be used with this toad - they may consider it. I'd also make the point that it is "matched" to the base plate installed on the toad.

Let us know what their response is, it could be educational.

Good luck.
2017 GMC Acadia toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 08:38 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

When my tow bar was damaged in an accident, it was not considered part of either the toad or the motorhome. It was covered as "personal property" under the coach policy, same as my camera, clothes and other stuff that was on/in the coach but not part of it.

Fine, you say, as long as it was covered, who cares? But you do care, because your personal property coverage usually has very low limits, often as little as $2000 total. My coach had a "bra" and that was also considered personal property. It doesn't take long to eat up $2000 or so in coverage.

Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote