Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-06-2012, 07:47 AM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by athuddriver View Post

Side bar question:

It seems like the DP folks report no significant difference in MPG with a toad. Is that reasonably true for gas rigs?
We haven't really driven the coach very much without the toad being attached but based on small sample trips I think towing costs us a bit less than .5 mpg with our DP. I'd be surprised if towing didn't have a bigger impact on gassers.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-06-2012, 09:56 AM   #30

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Unlike a truck towing a trailer, the impact of a car behind a RV should be minimal.. Especially when up to cruising speed on the interstates. Its the starts and hills where you will see the most deference..
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 07:21 PM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by athuddriver View Post
Side bar question: It seems like the DP folks report no significant difference in MPG with a toad. Is that reasonably true for gas rigs?
Yes, Like I said - I have tested it and I could not measure any difference between towing our Escape w/ Dolly vs. no tow.

The BIG difference found in my tests was with the speed - faster = much lower MPG. My Workhorse 8.1 w/6spd likes me to keep it under 73ish mph...and is very happy at 70.

But if the CHP asks, I never exceed 55 while towing
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 05:00 AM   #32

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahicks

Yes sir! Ours is an 05 Laramie with full time 4wd. Not sure if all the Dakota transfer cases will allow it, but ours has an electrically controlled transfer case with positions that allow full time 4wd, part time 4wd (which locks the center diff), and to allow switching it to neutral. I've had 2 older Dakotas, both with neutral positions in manually shifted transfer cases, and they would both tow 4 wheels down as well.
Our Dakota is 2WD so no transfer case, no tow.
Butte64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 05:06 AM   #33

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Great information in all these comments. Someone off the thread suggested that lacking a TOAD, might as well get a Class C or trailer to provide greater mobility. But if going with a Class A, TOAD is almost a must in the long run.

Since my current rides cannot be towed 4 down sometime in the future I will be looking at a Jeep Patriot.
Butte64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 05:44 AM   #34

We considered a TOAD with our previous MH but it could not tow either of our car/SUV's due to weight limits so we would need to buy a 3rd something to tow plus the equipment $$$$$$ so we used rentals when needed. Taking this route we missed our on things we would of enjoyed due to the lack of a TOAD and access to a rental car.

My DW and I are on our first trip with our new MH (no TOAD) and we find ourselves on the road needing a rental. Our next destination (staying a week) is 60 miles to the nearest rental place so we will stop by on the way and pick up the rental and the DW will drive the last 60 miles by herself.

Bottom line, we will buy a dolly soon so we can tow our car on future trips. As for cost, my time is valueable and screwing with a rental is time consuming v/s pulling a TOAD!
TheArnolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 10:00 AM   #35

When we first statred we took the rental option. It didn't take long to figure out it was more of a convience issue than a cost issue. Even though I was a premium member of 2 different rental agencies and reserved cars in advance we still had problems. A couple times we had to wait several hours for a car to be returned and serviced before we could get on our way. There were other occasions where the only rental cars available were 80 miles in the wrong direction from our destination, and still other times when the price we were given when we reserved the vehicle wasn't honored when we arrived.

After all those instances within the first year we decided it was far less hassle to tow a car along. We didn't like giving up a full day on each end of our vacation to deal with rental car agencies.
Old 08-08-2012, 06:52 AM   #36

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
A couple of times the rental agency screwing up worked to our advantage. One year when we got to Florida the convertible we reserved was nowhere to be found. We ended up with a Lincoln Town Car. Not a rag top but a beautiful ride. When we paid the bill we were only charged for the least expensive economy car because they did not have the one we had reserved.

Now we drag a convertible with us. No Lincoln but it is always with us and ready to go exploring.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 09:52 AM   #37

Ford Super Duty Owner
So far for us after two years with our first motor coach (have had two trailers) we do not use a toad. We tend to move after two nights and did not want to be restricted with a toad. We plan our driving days to include groceries, church and certain sight seeing. We rent when we are near the kids and grandkids and have used taxis and even hired local guide service in Big Bend to take us around (best thing ever!) We do talk about maybe getting a toad, but just have not really needed one yet to justify the expense.

That said, if my wife could bring her corvette without me having to buy a trailer...I would have a toad no doubt
Dave1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 07:19 PM   #38

Something I have not seen mentioned if you travel often to the same areas some of the mom and pop used car sales will rent you a car. Good prices and not as much paperwork as the car rental agencies.
I changed my daily driver so we could have a toad and glad I did always have it if we want to stop along the way or if something goes wrong with the motor home and come and go as we please when we get there. I actually get a tiny bit better mileage pulling the toad as it is not to be pulled above 65 so I stay around 60-62. Guess it does pay to slow down and enjoy life.
FTInMyDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 04:29 PM   #39

We considered rental but found we would have to schedule too much of the trip around the rental company schedule.
Case in point, Enterprise seems to be the most convenient because of the pick up, drop off service but -- the first one we checked with for a trip to St Augustine, was only open about 10 hours a day, half day on Saturday and closed all day Sunday.
I think this is the norm for them as most of their business is long term insurance rentals.
Old 08-10-2012, 07:26 PM   #40

Well since I already have an enclosed trailer, I will be "toading" my Goldwing. If it rains it will be no different than taking a motorcycle vacation. When I'm on a cross country tour I don't stop because it's raining, I put on rain gear..

I have two Cars that don't lend themselves to being flat-towed.
odinjunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 08:30 AM   #41

Re the question about mileage difference between gasser and diesel. I towed with my 40ft Monaco Dynasty for years and never noticed any significant MPG difference with toad on or off. I downsized to a B+ (Leisure Van Libero) gasser with a Chevy 6l V8. I tried towing my Malibu Max Toad with the Libero but it was a bit sluggish and it did degrade my milage with that in tow. So I bought the lightest car I could get, a Smart Car which weighs about 1840 lbs. More with the blue ox base plate installed. Anyway, while the MPG improved over the Malibu there is still a bit more fuel cost with Smarty in tow, but performance is much improved because of the lighter toad (hardly know it is there).

Convenience trumps cost in my circumstance so cost comparison with a rental was not even factored.

Often I don't take the toad because the B+ can go almost anywhere a car can go but if I plan to be camped for a few days I like the convenience of having the toad for short trips such as golfing, grocery shopping or even sight seeing.

I can disconnect my toad in less than 60 seconds and hookup in about 90 seconds, so when I get into a situation where I need the toad off, I do a quick disconnect and my wife drives the toad,

I never took my DP on any trip without the toad. But depending on the trip, I do take my B+ without the toad especially if it is a short trip of a couple of days where the toad is not needed.

Tolls are more $$ with a toad and if going on a ferry I disconnect the toad and my DW drives it on without a problem (Just my preference for ferries I know it can go on some ferries in the tow mode.)

I know some people like using a dolly, but for me that is a non starter, but it does give the option of using cars not equipped with a base plate.

Bottom line, having a toad is convenient but there are pros and cons about towing - it all comes down to what works best for you in your circumstance. In my case I love to spend our kids inheritance so cost difference either way is not a factor.
Libero is offline   Reply With Quote