Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-08-2019, 11:12 AM   #1

Toad weights- who has what and what does it weigh???

For those of us who do not have "unlimited toad weight" capability of class A rigs.

Who is towing what and how much does it actually weigh?? Yes, I have seen the dinghy chart and I have been to the mfg web sites that give you basic weights but those are not reality....i.e. a basic Cherokee does not weigh the same a a Trailhawk yet the spec sheets say they have the same curb weight. How much difference do the "features and amenities" actually add to the overall weight???
So I ask this of you who have actually weighed your toad and which model was it...a "Sport" a "Rubicon" , a "Limited", 2 doors, 4 doors......spell it out please.
Thanks for your response.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-08-2019, 11:22 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
We just got the baseplate, towing equipment set up on our 2017 Ford Fiesta Titanium 4 door, automatic. Weight 2628 pounds so we shouldn't feel it behind us. We bought it with 22k miles on it for 13 grand. It's not a big vehicle but perfect for us to get where we want to get.
brandss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 01:29 PM   #3

Just weighed a couple of days ago. 2017 Wrangler JKU with the normal assortment of junk inside, no people in it, full tank of gas 4,940 pounds on the CAT scale.
Old 02-08-2019, 02:15 PM   #4

Great idea for a thread, this will be most helpful to me.

Thanks,
Old 02-08-2019, 02:50 PM   #5

2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
4,600#s on a CAT scale.
With full gas, plus a Thule Bike rack in hitch with 2 relatively heavy / cheap adult bicycles. Empty otherwise.

Probably ~4,525# without the rack / bikes.
Betr2Trvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 02:53 PM   #6

Please say the year of your Toad as well. Model names stay the same but equipment and materials change from year to year thereby impacting weights.

This is awesome so far! Having read MANY threads revolving around toad weights I'm thinking lots of folks will benefit by being able to make more knowledge based toad buying decisions.
Old 02-08-2019, 02:59 PM   #7

2016 Chevy Sonic - $2750 lbs empty (no gear in the toad)
aether_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 03:11 PM   #8

Toad wts- who has what and what does it weigh???

2006 LJ Rubicon. Smittybilt Steel bumpers front and rear, Warn Winch, 3.5" Rubicon Express lift, rock sliders, skid plate, normal recovery gear, 1/2 tank of fuel. 4250lbs weighed on 4 corner Intercomp scales.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6728.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	512.7 KB
ID:	234486

Hooked to the back of my coach, with bicycles, bike rack, ice chest, spare parts, blue ox tow bar, etc. 4440lbs weighed on a Cat Scale.

Name:	IMG_7428.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	321.8 KB
ID:	234487

Name:	IMG_7436.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	486.3 KB
ID:	234488
AKIQPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 03:29 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DariusB View Post
Please say the year of your Toad as well. Model names stay the same but equipment and materials change from year to year thereby impacting weights.
... snip ...
Darius,
We have owned and used three different toads over about 13-14 years, a 2006 Scion Xa, a 2010 MINI Cooper Clubman S and now a 2012 Ford Escape Limited V6. Although our toad weight wasn’t a relatively big concern when we had the Tiffin, it certainly has been with all three View/Navion products we have owned.

I’ve weighed each of them in normal toad operation while attached to whatever motorhome we had/have at the time (baseplate, towbar, tow shield, fuel in the tank although typically not full, fairly lightly loaded with various traveling gear like some groceries, extra coats, a portable satellite dish, etc.).

I didn’t save the weight figures for the Scion or the MINI, but I do have them for the Escape. One fairly consistent reality is that actual in-service toad weight is about 400 to 500 pounds heavier than manufacturer advertised curb weight.

For example, my model of Escape has a Ford-advertised curb weight of 3,296, but when weighed in-service as explained above, it comes in at nearly 3,800 pounds. Now I could admittedly lighten that up by perhaps 100 pounds, but those items removed would probably just end up in the motorhome somewhere anyway.

As you plan for an acceptable toad, I’d advise adding at least 400 pounds to the advertised curb weight. With your 24D, you really don’t want to go heavier than about 4,200 pounds because of the gross weight thing, but of course lighter than that would be better in the long run. No matter what you choose, keeping just your View under its individual gross maximum also becomes something important to keep in check. Adding any aftermarket accessories of course just adds to the whole exercise.

BTW, I’d love to tow a Jeep. Just can’t get the math reality to work. Although I once owned a little CJ3-B ... bet it would tow very well
SeeTheUSA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 03:42 PM   #10

BTW, I’d love to tow a Jeep. Just can’t get the math reality to work. Although I once owned a little CJ3-B ... bet it would tow very well

Exactly why I started this thread. I see that optimum according to Mfg specs ia a 4220 max wt toad. I know for sure mfg "listed" wts are not what the vehicles actually weigh. I know I can test drive to the scale , and I certainly will, but it will help save time by looking at other folks set up with ACTUAL weights to consider.

Thanks for everyone's response.
Old 02-08-2019, 04:45 PM   #11

2013 F150 FX4 w/ ecoboost, full fuel, driver and 1 pass. 6008 on a CAT scale.
CptCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 02:44 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeTheUSA View Post
Darius,
We have owned and used three different toads over about 13-14 years, a 2006 Scion Xa, a 2010 MINI Cooper Clubman S and now a 2012 Ford Escape Limited V6. Although our toad weight wasn’t a relatively big concern when we had the Tiffin, it certainly has been with all three View/Navion products we have owned.

I’ve weighed each of them in normal toad operation while attached to whatever motorhome we had/have at the time (baseplate, towbar, tow shield, fuel in the tank although typically not full, fairly lightly loaded with various traveling gear like some groceries, extra coats, a portable satellite dish, etc.).

I didn’t save the weight figures for the Scion or the MINI, but I do have them for the Escape. One fairly consistent reality is that actual in-service toad weight is about 400 to 500 pounds heavier than manufacturer advertised curb weight.

For example, my model of Escape has a Ford-advertised curb weight of 3,296, but when weighed in-service as explained above, it comes in at nearly 3,800 pounds. Now I could admittedly lighten that up by perhaps 100 pounds, but those items removed would probably just end up in the motorhome somewhere anyway.

As you plan for an acceptable toad, I’d advise adding at least 400 pounds to the advertised curb weight. With your 24D, you really don’t want to go heavier than about 4,200 pounds because of the gross weight thing, but of course lighter than that would be better in the long run. No matter what you choose, keeping just your View under its individual gross maximum also becomes something important to keep in check. Adding any aftermarket accessories of course just adds to the whole exercise.

Nailed it. Good post. Pretty much summed it up. My LJ is almost 400lbs over the Manu's curb weight. Great rule of thumb.
AKIQPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 01:29 PM   #13

Can anyone chime in on a newer GMC Canyon or Chevy Colorado? Or even the new Ford Ranger?

I really want one of those but am limited to 5,000 lb tow capacity.

Ron
Sarz272000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 01:52 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Toad wts- who has what and what does it weigh???

Find a car equipped the way you would buy it and use the door sticker. GVWR-payload will give you a pretty good starting point.

My 2017 Fusion Sport came in at 4,280 on the CAT scale. I estimated 4,200 based on the door sticker and added 50 for the baseplate. The published base curb weight is 3,681. I know I don’t have 700 lbs of options.

Your F53 chassis may only have a 4,000 lb. difference between GVWR and GCWR. It that’s the case, any toad weight over 4,000 will cut into your CCC.

Former owner of a Morgan powered Bennington
knightstorm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad