Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-22-2014, 06:32 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Toad Wiring

I replaced my Toad with a 2012 F 150 Ford and took it to Camping World to have the wiring, tow bar, and Invisa Brake's installed to be towed behind my 2012 Winnebago Journey. Although, they probably did the job properly (brakes worked as did the turn lights) I was not happy with the job. The Breakaway switch was mounted so it protruded beyond the front bumper and the 4 wire plug on the Ford was unsightly and protruded as well when not connected. The invisabrake also has a separate wire that needs to be plugged in for towing, and it was strung to tight and unplugged it self when ever a tight turn was completed.
I decided to rehang the brake away switch and electric plug myself and since the brake wire was an extra step needed when hooking up, I would change the 7 wire harness that was reduced to a 4 wire plug in for the Ford to a seven on both ends and use one of the unused wires within the harness to replace it. The wire that is designed for use to power the backup lights and as additional items was not being used. I cut this from under the Journey and am now using it for the brakes. I now have a dilemma. I noticed the tail lights are not connected. The turn lights and brake lights are in use but there are no tail lights hooked up. Is this normal? If I do connect that wire so the toad would have tail lights, would they need another diode? I cannot remember that they were connected on my previous Toad.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-22-2014, 07:20 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
The brown wire should be to the tail lights check your truck tail lights and see if they have them hooked and diod installed if not you will need to hook thm up . Did CW install a brake light relay or a toad break light bypass if not when you put your signal light on for a turn it will be covered up as long as the toad brake is on and i know the F 150 brake light comes on in the tow mode. Your breakaway switch should have been set up with one bolt holding it in place then it can be pivited around when not in service.

2015 Kia Soul 6 speed manual
walt2137 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 10:44 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
There are two diodes connected and hidden within the tail light housing. I am assuming they handle the brake light and the turn light. The tail light portion is not wired. If I connect that brown wire, will I need another diode?
Old 08-23-2014, 11:00 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Larry the brake lights and the turn will be the same diode so that means that the wire is probaly run to the tail lights just not hooked up right at the plug. What type plug do you have and do you have a wire digram for it .
Old 08-23-2014, 08:23 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by walt2137 View Post
Larry the brake lights and the turn will be the same diode so that means that the wire is probaly run to the tail lights just not hooked up right at the plug. What type plug do you have and do you have a wire digram for it .
I'll have to get back to you on the diagram as it is at the MH stored elsewhere. The dealer reduced the 7 wire plug that is at the back of the MH to a 4 wire plug at the toad. I had a 7 wire cord available with a 7 wire toad end plug so I wired it up using the diagram that is printed on the plug cap on the MH. They only ran 4 wires from the toad to it's plug. None of them were for the tail lights. I will need to determine where that wire is and it's color. I suspect that I can remove the tail light component and make that decision and then run a wire from each to the plug. It sounds as though the wires do need to go through a diode so I have to see what Camping World did there.
Old 08-24-2014, 08:04 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
The 4 wires should be right and left signal and brake (green and yellow) ground probably white and tail light brown. Larry I would not trust CW to do any install for me, some of their shops may have competent employes but that is not their norm. Get a test light and test at the toad.

Tags
toad, wiring