Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 07-19-2016, 05:41 PM   #1
Toad Wiring

So I'm trying to get my 2011 Jeep Wrangler set up as our toad. I installed a Cool Tech wiring harness in the Jeep and was even successful in getting it snaked through the DS frame. After running down a blown fuse in the coach, I connected my Blue Ox coiled wire between the coach's 7-way and the Jeep's 4-round. Nothing! No lights at all...not even incorrect lights. As a last question before I throw in the towel...does the hitch itself need to be present? Is the Jeep picking up a ground from the coach via the hitch?

muleman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-19-2016, 07:21 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
It shouldn't, there should be a dedicated ground wire in a 4 pin or 7 pin connector. With a 12 v light probe, you should check that each function in the RV is present in it's connection, then check the Jeep's wiring by putting a jumper wire from the 12 v post of the Jeep's battery to each pin in the connector (except the ground!) Step by step you'll solve the problem.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 08:06 PM   #3
As Bluefin says, grab a test light and verify that all the correct signals, i.e. Lt/brake, Rt/brake, tail/marker/ etc. are all present at the trailer plug on the back of the coach. Once that's done and verified, then, plug in the Blue Ox coiled pig tail. Now, re-verify that all the signals are present and in correct position on the other end of that pig tail. Once that's done and verified, plug the pig tail into the toad and start chasing where the singles are lost.

But, also, do make sure that the ground, in the coaches trailer plug, is a good and strong ground. Then make sure that same ground it getting through the pig tail.
2004 ITASCA HORIZON 36GD, 2011 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4 Toad '08 GL 1800 Gold Wing
Retired-29.5 yrs, SDFD, Ham - KI6OND
Me, Karla and the Sophie character, (mini Schnauzer)
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 08:15 PM   #4
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Anything at the 4 wire plug before you plug it into the Jeep? If you disconnect from the Jeep and just put your test light in the 4 pin end while grounded to the MH, that might tell if the ground isn't carrying through to the Jeep.
Atom Ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 08:48 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If nothing works and volts at the RV jack are good suspect the ground to be missing. If you have a piece of wire laying around, just jumper from a metal spot on the Jeep to a metal spot on the Motorhome.
Vince and Susan
2011 Tiffin Phaeton 40QTH (Cummins ISC/Freightliner)
Flat towing a modified 2005 Jeep (Rubicon Wrangler)
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 11:28 PM   #6
The CoolTech harness kit comes with a Pollack 4 pin connector. From pictures I have seen of the Blue Ox 7-4 coiled cable (on E-Trailer), it does not look like it uses the mating Pollack 4 pin connector. If you are using this combination, this may be your problem (the connector pins are not properly engaging).

The CoolTech harness kit comes with a trouble shooting guide. The guide recommends that you verify that the 4 wires (at the 4 pin connector end) work properly before mounting the connector. I did this using a test light with the clamp end on the ground wire, then turning the Jeep’s lights, left and right turns on one at a time and checking that there is continuity at the appropriate wire end using the probe tip on the test light. That verified that the wiring was properly installed and the CoolTeck connections at the left rear light is making proper contact. This is an easy check if you have already mounted the connector to the front of the Jeep. If all is OK here, then the problem is at the motorhome or the coiled cable.
Ron and Gerry
2004 Phaeton, 330 Hp Cat
2015 Wrangler Unlimited Sport or 1997 Sanger V210
RnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 01:11 PM   #7

Thanks to all respondents. This has been a comedy of errors and I finally had to admit defeat and take it to someone more talent than myself. It started with a blown fuse in the coach itself which affected the right side lights of the 7-way. Then as RnG pointed out, I had to replace one end of the Blue Ox pigtail with a different 4-round to fit the Pollack receptacle of the Cool Tech harness. Bottom line...although I'm pretty handy most of the time, I SUCK at anything electric.

"A man's GOT to know his limitations." - "Dirty" Harry Callahan

muleman1 is offline   Reply With Quote

toad, wiring