Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-20-2018, 04:27 AM   #1

Toad wiring

We purchased a new to us 06 Georgetown class a. We are getting the toad ready and there are 2 wiring hook ups on the rear of the coach. Standard 7 prong and I believe a 4 round. I realize its impossible to know for sure from your computer, but what is the 4 round probably for? We will be using the even brake set up if that makes a difference.
Tcorrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-20-2018, 07:01 AM   #2

Four wires trailer connectors are usually flat connectors, although there are round ones. https://www.etrailer.com/Wiring/Road...-910030-4.html
That would be brown for the running lights, green and yellow wires for the directionals and white for the ground.
Old 04-20-2018, 08:36 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Four wire plugs are only for lights. No wiring for a braking system. Use the 7 pin round connector on the RV. I bought a 7 pin to 6 pin coiled interconnect cable from blue ox. I buy a lot of my wiring products from Hopkins.com. They make everything you would need to wire your toad. For videos I use etrailer.com. Spend some time on the internet and you can learn everything you need to know concerning trailer/toad/dinghy wiring. Hope you can read the attachments I have added.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BX88206Wiring.jpg
Views:	391
Size:	23.0 KB
ID:	199710   Click image for larger version

Name:	Brake_Control_Wiring_Guide (2).jpg
Views:	251
Size:	282.3 KB
ID:	199711  

flywithcoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 08:50 AM   #4

I once installed a Unified Tow Brake Unified Tow Brake
In a Jeep Wrangler and used a 4-pin round cable and connectors for the umbilical to the toad brake system. I had a separate 4-pin flat cable for the lights.
Old 04-20-2018, 08:52 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcorrell View Post
We purchased a new to us 06 Georgetown class a. We are getting the toad ready and there are 2 wiring hook ups on the rear of the coach. Standard 7 prong and I believe a 4 round. I realize its impossible to know for sure from your computer, but what is the 4 round probably for? We will be using the even brake set up if that makes a difference.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mich F View Post
Four wires trailer connectors are usually flat connectors, although there are round ones. https://www.etrailer.com/Wiring/Road...-910030-4.html
That would be brown for the running lights, green and yellow wires for the directionals and white for the ground.
That would be my WAG also. Easy to check. Just touch one probe from a voltmeter to ground, and touch the other probe to each plug hole. You most likely won't get any voltage reading. Now turn on the headlights and test each plug hole and I'll bet one of them shows 12+ volts. Turn on the left turn signal and you should see voltage, etc.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 09:26 AM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
There are several connectors.> My suggestion is a test light.

A test light looks like an ICE PICK https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

Man is that a URL and 3/4.

Clip it to a known good ground and with Tail lights (parking or headlights) touch each of the 4 pins. if it lights. NOTE the pin turn off parking/headlights and activate 4-ways

Re-check pin, lights out TAIL LIGHT LEAD
check the ones that did not light. IF Blinking they are Stop?Turn Note which

Turn off 4 ways and turn on RIGHT turn signal The one still blinking is Right, the other one left and the remaining pin ground.

7 Pin.. Same process for lights. the remaining pins may have brake, lube pump or battery power (With engine running)

Some connectors used
Flat 4 (The name is discriptive)
4,6 and 7 pin round (My Lube pump uses the 2 extra pins on the 6 Pin)
and "Special" US-Gear uses a "Special" coonnector for their brake system it's a 2 wire. uses the ground for the lights.
Old 04-20-2018, 09:38 AM   #7
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Can't add to what others have said but wanted to say hello!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 06:15 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcorrell View Post
Don't take for granted the 4 pin round is wired in the standard RV pattern.

I'm gonna take a wild guess that the 4 pin may have been added for another purpose or trailer

Use a 12v circuit tester and confirm what exactly you've got there

sHould be a ground pin, left, right (turn/brake) and running lights

Usually the stock 7 pin is wired in the standard pattern as shown above, but frankly, I check those as well
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	trailer-plug-wiring-diagram.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	27.1 KB
ID:	199788  
Attached Images

Old 04-20-2018, 11:25 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vato View Post
Don't take for granted the 4 pin round is wired in the standard RV pattern.

I'm gonna take a wild guess that the 4 pin may have been added for another purpose or trailer

Use a 12v circuit tester and confirm what exactly you've got there

sHould be a ground pin, left, right (turn/brake) and running lights

Usually the stock 7 pin is wired in the standard pattern as shown above, but frankly, I check those as well
BINGO!!!!!!!!
The seven pin connector can do all of what's needed for toad operations and more. The four pin connector is an add-on circuit for alternative purposes.

When we acquired our present coach, an '04 Itasca Horizon 36GD with the C-7 330HP CAT, it had TWO 7 PIN trailer plugs. One on each side of the license plate. Hmmmm. Well, it didn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that, ONE of the previous owners had towed a vehicle that required a Remco system. And, apparently, when a system like that was/is installed, whomever did the installation, installed their own 7-pin connector. So, there remains two 7 pin connectors on the back of our coach, no biggie.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 07:38 AM   #10

If you have never used the connectors on the rear of the coach then don't assume any of them are wired correctly...always use a test light or multi-meter to verify each pin on all sockets. This is particularly important when you see more than one connector back there as you just don't know why that was done....an ounce of prevention.
Polyian is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad, wiring