Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-17-2016, 10:42 PM   #1

Toad wiring dilemma, which way to go

I am changing from dolly towing to flat towing. Have the coach and now have the Jeep. 2012 Wrangler Sahara 2 door. I don't have anything in between, i.e. tow bars, baseplate, brakes etc. and have been researching the various systems. My strong leaning is the Blue Ox base plate and Aladdin tow bar. My research for a wiring kit gets complex. I was leaning towards the Mopar part but the installation appears to be a nightmare. I'm technically capable, but 3 back surgeries and arthritis make tight spaces difficult. The Roadmaster product with diode box installation leave clarity to be desired and I'm not a fan of cutting wires. Same with Blue Ox version. Demco has one with plug-n-play connectors, no cutting they say and that's my leaning.

In the reading several posts and statements by manufacturers, diodes are needed to prevent reverse flow but neither the Mopar or Demco use them. Has anyone using either of these systems encountered problems?

After the wiring then it's braking system. Reading problems with the Invisibrake and diodes getting wet, eliminates that one. In fact, any system that can apply brakes by itself is undesirable. I don't mind the box type that sits on the floor and am also considering M&G. Not much space between the master cylinder and inner fender and need to call them to see how much space is needed. Has anyone put the M&G on a newer Wrangler?

Main question and dilemma is the wiring bundle, then off the the brakes.

Thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-18-2016, 01:35 AM   #2

Have you looked at these and check there videos
2012 Jeep Wrangler Tow Bar Wiring - Hopkins
2 stroker

2 Stroker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 08:51 AM   #3

I just ordered the factory Mopar wiring harness. Its entirely plug and play and uses the factory tail lights. You can get it online or at any jeep dealer. I read alot before ordering and looked at alot of search's on this page. Hopefully I'll install it next weekend.
Old 01-18-2016, 02:30 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
This write up I did on the installation of my Mopar harness might help. I found a slightly easier way to plug into the harness up behind the dash. I like it because it is from the factory and uses relays to isolate the wiring instead of diodes.
2012 Jeep Mopar Harness Installation Update

As for braking, take a look at the RVI2 brake. It works perfectly with my Wrangler.
'12 Jeep Wrangler Sport and/or '08 Honda Goldwing
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 04:47 PM   #5

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
drwwicks-

You may want to send a private message to "FIRE UP." Scott has a 2004 Horizon, carries a Gold Wing and tows a Rubicon. You can see pictures of his rig on this recent iRV2 post. He does a nice job installing stuff (I believe his Jeep has an M&G system). Tell him I sent 'ya.

I put an SMI Stay-in-Play Duo in our Fit. If you went with SMI, you'd want the Air Force One, to match your coach's air brakes.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 11:41 AM   #6

Lt Dan, does the Mopar part turn the toad tail lights on when the coach lights are on? I'm also considering a Hopkins wiring set and don't know about it yet. Also does high mounted brake light operate with Mopar? Will running lights also operate, i.e. side mounted amber ones on the from fender of Jeep?

Thanks
Old 01-19-2016, 01:26 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by drwwicks View Post
Lt Dan, does the Mopar part turn the toad tail lights on when the coach lights are on? I'm also considering a Hopkins wiring set and don't know about it yet. Also does high mounted brake light operate with Mopar? Will running lights also operate, i.e. side mounted amber ones on the from fender of Jeep?
Thanks
The tail lights do work with the Mopar harness. Only the two outside brake lights work, the center one does not. The side mounted fender running lights do not work with it either. I don't know of a harness that does operate the side running lights, but there may be one. I would be wary of one that does due to power being inserted into the Jeep's system with all of the electronics. The Mopar harness totally isolates itself from the Jeep's wiring through the use of small relays.
'12 Jeep Wrangler Sport and/or '08 Honda Goldwing
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 03:39 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
For lights I drilled a hole in one of the tail lights and used a bulb from road master and ran separate wiring. No diodes.
Old 01-19-2016, 03:48 PM   #9

Thor Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
On my 2008 and my 2015 wranglers I used the wiring harness from JK Tow Harness Kit - CoolTechLLC easy install no diodes needed
Old 01-19-2016, 05:27 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by drwwicks View Post
I am changing from dolly towing to flat towing. Have the coach and now have the Jeep. 2012 Wrangler Sahara 2 door. I don't have anything in between, i.e. tow bars, baseplate, brakes etc. and have been researching the various systems. My strong leaning is the Blue Ox base plate and Aladdin tow bar. My research for a wiring kit gets complex. I was leaning towards the Mopar part but the installation appears to be a nightmare. I'm technically capable, but 3 back surgeries and arthritis make tight spaces difficult. The Roadmaster product with diode box installation leave clarity to be desired and I'm not a fan of cutting wires. Same with Blue Ox version. Demco has one with plug-n-play connectors, no cutting they say and that's my leaning.

In the reading several posts and statements by manufacturers, diodes are needed to prevent reverse flow but neither the Mopar or Demco use them. Has anyone using either of these systems encountered problems?

After the wiring then it's braking system. Reading problems with the Invisibrake and diodes getting wet, eliminates that one. In fact, any system that can apply brakes by itself is undesirable. I don't mind the box type that sits on the floor and am also considering M&G. Not much space between the master cylinder and inner fender and need to call them to see how much space is needed. Has anyone put the M&G on a newer Wrangler?

Main question and dilemma is the wiring bundle, then off the the brakes.

Thanks
According to the M&G web site the M&G 602 will fit, and you might want to check out the 60 led light strip for your stand alone coach lights signal brake lights for your jeep that what I used under the tail gate of our F150 .

60" SEALED SUV LED Function Rear Tailgate Brake Light Bar Strip for Pickup Jeep | eBay
2015 Kia Soul 6 speed manual
walt2137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 04:32 PM   #11

Hi, I have a 2012 Wrangler Unlimited. For the base plate I used the Currie Industries base plate, nice looking also serves as a skid plate for front section, you remove the plastic piece that is there now and the base plate goes in that area. Almost all tow bars will connect to this base plate. I am using the heaviest Demco bar available I think it is rated for 10,000 pounds, a bit of overkill. For wiring I went with the Mopar kit it has worked very well. I had the Jeep dealer install it I believe they charged about $100 well worth it.
Old 01-21-2016, 04:40 PM   #12

The Currie base plate I referred to above is actually called Currie Enterprises tow bar mounting plate. I got mine through 4 wheel parts the current price is $252.99. When I bought mine several years ago I think it was $199. Happy travels.
Old 01-21-2016, 04:56 PM   #13

I installed the Demco plug and play harness in my 07 CRV. Easy peasy. I did call Demco and asked about diodes or relays and they said they are incorporated in the wiring.
Old 01-22-2016, 07:57 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
My Towing Solution

I went thru these decisions this year also. My solution: Roadmaster Sterling All Terrain tow bar, custom bumper for my Toyota Tacoma, Roadmaster diodes, roadmaster wiring kit and RviBrake2. I also wired the +12V charging wire thru to an RviBrake battery charging module. This prevents the brake system from running down your battery. I cut the wires and soldered the diodes in the proper places. This should be done by someone experienced with soldering and wiring. Most kits use crimp-on lugs. I don't trust these.

If you do the wiring yourself there's one issue that most people don't think about. The wiring from the coach has left turn signal, right turn signal and running lights. This drives 2 bulbs on each side of the toad. Some toads have separate lights for turn signals, running lights and brake/warning lights. This results in 3 bulbs per side. Etrailer.com sells a module that does this conversion for you.

Another note: be sure your tow bar close to level. Most manufacturers specify + or - 3 inches. Be sure to check your tow bar spec. This can be fixed with a receiver offset adapter. BlueOX and Roadmaster make these too. Anti rattle receiver pins are a good idea. These take the play out of your receiver adapter and tow bar. Search irv2 for much detail on each of these topics.

Regards,

Jerry,
2013 Newmar Bay Star 3002 - 2004 Toyota Tacoma

Tags
wiring, toad