Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-16-2008, 07:05 AM   #1
TEO

I'm in the process of connecting my toad to the motorhome and have run into a bit of a snag. THe last motorhome had a six terminal plug and I installed the same on the toad and had no problems. The new motorhome has a seven terminal plug and I cannot get the connection right.

The right and left directionals work properly as do the running lights. The problem I have is that when I apply the brakes, I get both direstionals instead of the break lights. Directionals are yellow lights and brake lights are red.

Any suggestions before I bring it to a pro?

Thanks,

Paul

FMCA F98905
TEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-16-2008, 07:05 AM   #2
TEO

I'm in the process of connecting my toad to the motorhome and have run into a bit of a snag. THe last motorhome had a six terminal plug and I installed the same on the toad and had no problems. The new motorhome has a seven terminal plug and I cannot get the connection right.

The right and left directionals work properly as do the running lights. The problem I have is that when I apply the brakes, I get both direstionals instead of the break lights. Directionals are yellow lights and brake lights are red.

Any suggestions before I bring it to a pro?

Thanks,

Paul

FMCA F98905
Old 04-16-2008, 09:06 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Paul,
Did you make the cable yourself or did you purchase a 7 to 6 pin cable? If you purchased the cable, my assumption is the cable is correct. How about taking a meter and measuring the voltage at the different points on the six pin end, when trying the different light activities. Once the pin voltage is known, you should be able to match the six pin, on the toad to what the coach is delivering.

If this doesn't work, there may be something wrong in how the toad wired for the previous coach. Sometime coaches and toads are wired to match each other, not necessarily industry standards.

Lastly, if you have a trailer/hitch store near you, ask them for advice. Sometimes toad brake/turn signal lights need an adapter (I forgot the name). This is true if the function of the coach rear lights are not the same as the function of the toad rear lights.

The best example is where the coach has a seperate bulb for turn signal and brake lights. The toad has the same. This should be a one to one pass through the cable.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 02:01 PM   #4
TEO

I connected the wires one at a time using a circuit tester. After turning on the lights, I found the hot connection and wired the correct wire to turn on the running lights on the Jeep. Then I put on the left directional and connected the proper wire to that. All worked well until I had me wife step on the brakes. I found that it made the two directional terminals hot instead of the last terminal that should have been to the brake lights.

Paul

FMCA F98905
Old 04-16-2008, 02:54 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
On the coach, is brake, turn signal and backup bulbs all separate (three bulbs total on each side)?
On the toad, is brake, turn signal and backup bulbs all separate (three bulbs total on each side)?
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 04:27 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

It sounds as though your coach has a typical 4 light system, with stop & turn on one bulb on each side and separate tail lights. Your toad, apparently has a 6 light system, with separate stop and turn bulbs on each side.

When the coach brakes come on, it applies voltage to the same terminals as those for the directionals cause that's how the coach is set up. And that's the standard wiring for a 7 pin plug too - stop and directional are on the same pin (#5 for left stop/turn, #6 for right stop/turn). You need a converter box to separate out the coach brake and directional signals for your toad and you need two more wires to the car as well The car requires 5 unique wires total, stop, brake, left & right turn and ground, but it is usually done with a six pin connector and two separate brake wires.

If your coach has a 6 light system like the toad, you simply need a separate 6 pin connector to match the car or re-wire the 7 pin for a non-standard layout, i.e. separate brake and directional lines on separate pins. If you decide to change the 7 pin layout, be sure you never try to tow a trailer that has a 7 pin connector - it won't work!
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 04:33 PM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by TEO:
I connected the wires one at a time using a circuit tester. After turning on the lights, I found the hot connection and wired the correct wire to turn on the running lights on the Jeep. Then I put on the left directional and connected the proper wire to that. All worked well until I had me wife step on the brakes. I found that it made the two directional terminals hot instead of the last terminal that should have been to the brake lights.

Paul </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You need to install an adapter between the motorhome and the toad. The problem is the motorhome uses the brake light circuit for the turn signals also (same bulb), and your toad uses a separate bulb for the turnsignals and brakelights. The turnsignal will be amber on the toad. The adapter can be purchased at some independent RV supply stores. I just installed one on my Suzuki Grand Vitara.

Dieselclacker
Old 04-16-2008, 05:13 PM   #8

I started a previous thread with similar problems, except mine was going from a 6 pin round (from the toad) to a 7 spade type on the MH. I'm going to try the adapter solution. (That's what I WAS using before loosing it on the road and ruining the 6 pin round.)

Super Wal-Marts have a pretty good selection of adapters in the hitch area - cheap too.

Next stop for me (if this doesn't work) is to a hitch shop.

2005 Dutch Star (4009)
OpaRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 04:54 PM   #9
TEO

Problem solved!!!! The previous owner installed an adapter to go from the yellow directionals to the red. I didn't see it when I first looked because it was fastened well up in the frame. All I had to do was cut out the adapter and go to the original wiring and the problem was solved. I left the adapter in place so I can run another line for my boat trailer.

PAul

FMCA F98905
Old 05-03-2008, 03:09 PM   #10

[QUOTE]Originally posted by dieselclacker:

You need to install an adapter between the motorhome and the toad. The problem is the motorhome uses the brake light circuit for the turn signals also (same bulb), and your toad uses a separate bulb for the turnsignals and brakelights. The turnsignal will be amber on the toad. The adapter can be purchased at some independent RV supply stores. I just installed one on my Suzuki Grand Vitara.

Hello Dieselclacker.
I am currently doing the same thing. Trying to wire up an 07 Grand Vitara. I would like to know where you located and tied into the factory wireing for the stop,turn,brake and tail lights.Did you have to run an extra cable all the way to the back of the towed vehicle.Or is there a harness somewhere easy to get at at the front or is that asking for too much.Also did you have to use diodes on all lights and/or bulbs?
I used to have a 98 Tracker as a towed and there I just installed a seperate socket in the tailight housing and a seperate circuit from the Coach.It worked great.Sadly in the Vitara is no room for that.
I just transferred my US Gear brake system to the Vitara and that was some job.Hope I don't have to do that again.
Would really appreciate your advise on my questions above.
Thanks
Gerry
1998 Dutchstar, 2007 Suzuki Grand Vitara