Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 08-31-2014, 09:01 PM   #1
Toad wiring using roadmaster kit#155 problems

When the dealer wired up our Toad, he used Roadmaster's bulb & socket kit #155. My motorhome has separate brake (red) and turn signals (amber) lights. When you step on motorhome brakes, you get feedback such that the motorhome turn signal lights come on in addition to the brake lights. This causes an overload problem which burns out the brake light fuse in the motorhome after a short period of time - not immediately. Do I need a converter because the motorhome has separate turn signal lights from the brake lights? Any suggestions or ideas would certainly be appreciated.

Team Elk-Rib is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-31-2014, 11:37 PM   #2
Monaco Owners Club
Suspect you need to install diodes in the lines to allow current to only flow one way. Roadmaster Inc. - Tow Bars, Braking Systems & RV Accessories
Also with everything hooked up take a meter and verify you have a ground connection from the motorhome to the toad. If they did not run a ground wire and are just relying on the metal connection of the tow bar that can sometimes cause you weird problems.

Brian, Loretta & Daisy (Golden Retriever)
2008 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 40 PDQ , ISL 400
2014 Ford Explorer toad
bdpreece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 08:04 AM   #3

Yes you need the converter. I'm on my IPad or I would link the one I used in the past.
2013 DSDP 4347, all electric, 450 H.P. ISL
Air & hydraulic leveling
14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland toad
PDR John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 07:11 AM   #4
Are you running the 7 pin connector in the RV? If so, the separate turn and brake in the RV cannot be passed through to the toad from what I found. Therefore, I suspect the way the kit was installed is not correct. The kit includes standard bulbs that are installed into the tail light housing. Depending on where they installed the bulbs, it may be lighting two sections of the tail light housing itself.

Watch the video at this link that shows installation of the kit, it will make more sense what might have happened. The sonic video is the one I looked at.

Link to Kit 155 installation video
2005 Newmar Kountry Star 3742 - Gas
ACME Eze Tow Dolly
2008 Chevy Malibu Toad
vettenuts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 02:59 PM   #5
Thanks to all who viewed and responded to my problem. What I needed was a converter. What had me confused was I had talked to a technician at Roadmaster's factory, and was told I did not need a converter but more than likely had a ground problem. In addition to that, I had assumed Camping World's technicians that had installed my hitch and wired my vehicle knew what they were doing. Obviously I was mistaken. Problem solved. Thanks to all.
Team Elk-Rib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 07:41 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Camping World's technicians ... knew what they were doing.
Now there is an oxymoron!
Gary Brinck
2004 American Tradition; 2014 Buick LaCRosse
Homebase in the Ocala Nat'l Forest near Ocala, FL
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 08:15 AM   #7
Monaco Owners Club
One other thing you need to check if you are using toad brakes and I would suggested you do, if your toad brake system mashes the toad brake pedal and the brake lights comes on with the key in the tow position you will need a brake relay or the toad brake light will cover up the turn signal from the coach.

Walt & Will
2000 Dynasty
2013 F150 XLT Crew C 4X4
2015 Kia Soul 6 speed manual
walt2137 is offline   Reply With Quote

toad, wiring