Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-28-2013, 01:09 AM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
WOW,
subscribing to this thread as this could be fun to watch

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-28-2013, 11:29 AM   #16
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
...Tandem Duals...?
Please share what make/model it is. I would like to see that monster!
This one had me wondering, so I checked the OP's Profile and see that the rig in question actually does have Dual/Tandem running gear!

The Mountain Aire 36KSWB
http://www.newmarcorp.com/uploads/br...20Brochure.pdf

What a monster!

So, if any 5er could be modified to carry a Smart on the bumper, it should be this one. Please post an update w/ pictures for whatever you do.

Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 03:35 PM   #17

I see an investment to be made.

And wonder how long before it pays off?
Just wondering

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 11:28 PM   #18

Verification

I am sure glad my 5er was verifiable. I will post any mods I have done...I am currently on the Gulf Coast and won't be returning North until mid-May...but I will post pictures if I decide to go that route! Thanks for the input!
Old 01-29-2013, 12:39 AM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Have you calculated your overall length if you do this project?
Old 01-29-2013, 10:41 AM   #20
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by sngplb View Post
I am sure glad my 5er was verifiable. I will post any mods I have done...I am currently on the Gulf Coast and won't be returning North until mid-May...but I will post pictures if I decide to go that route! Thanks for the input!
No insult intended. Thought, maybe I misunderstood.
I had just never seen a RV with tandem/dual's. I have seen single/triples on the bigger 5ers and Towable Toyhaulers. Even on Mobile homes, mfgt's use single/triples or single/quads.

It's a great idea! We basically have the same thing in our Outlaw with a dropframe in the far back for the Garage - it's just enclosed. See:
www.outlawrv.com

If you can make this work, I'm sure there will be a bunch of folks that will want to copy your engineering design. I think, maybe a mfgt should consider it.
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 11:18 AM   #21

Howdy!

You may want to consider a "Idaho Tote" for you 5er. We fulltime and have used one for five years. We have a MDT 36' 5er with the Tote attached to it. We first used the Tote to carry a Yamaha Rhino side-by-side, and carried large 400cc scooter on the MDT to use instead of driving the MDT at times. Last year we purchased a Smart Car and carry it on the Idaho Tote. We load the Smart on the Tote side to side with "Big Boy II" 12' ramps (drive it on, drive it off). The Idaho Tote is a well made and built tote. It has 15" tires (unlike the small swevil wheel types) mine also has its on brake system. I also have a tow bar that when disconnected makes it into a stand alone trailer. The Idaho Tote is consider an extention of your 5er not a double tow. I've towed it all over the central and western state including "California, Oregon, Washington and up and back to Alaska. We been looked at by alot of LEO's and never stopped. The Idaho Tote is not cheap but I beleive you get what you pay for.

Idaho Tote dolly, tow your atv, motorcycle, golf cart behind your rv.

"Happy Trails"
Chiefneon

Check out
Old 01-30-2013, 07:48 AM   #22

Why make it so hard, Just tow the car behind the trailer like a motorhome. That's what I do with a Chevy cobalt.
Old 01-30-2013, 12:42 PM   #23

Thanks for the link.....definitely a consideration!
Old 01-30-2013, 06:46 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Mader View Post
Why make it so hard, Just tow the car behind the trailer like a motorhome. That's what I do with a Chevy cobalt.
X2
That's what I do with my Jeep, using a readybrake for the braking and break away.
Vette Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 09:17 AM   #25

We have a guest in the park at present who has a fill size Volvo truck with sleeper etc, pulling a 43 ft tri axle 5th wheel.
BEHIND this he pulls a Wrangler Rubicon.
He says it all works fine.

Although he holds a cdl, the rig is on car plates, does not need an authority and is not registered as a commercial vehicle.
I mention this because someone said "if our inquirer could do it, he would need a commercial license.
Now im even more curious so I will pick his brains further and come back to the string with more info.
To those who say it's not legal in this state in this or that, I politely ask are you speculating or are you 100% certain ?
As many trucking companies run triples "3 trailers" in OTR trucking, UPS being one of them.
Cheers
Rusty
honkytonkinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 09:11 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by sngplb View Post
Thanks again for the input, I have seen many, many 5er's towing boats throughout the Midwest. I know a lot of states on the East Coast do not allow doubles. Some states allow triples. I've thought about having a hydraulic lift fabricated and mounting the car side ways, the car is 96" long, my 5'er is 102" wide. I have also considered moving the hitch to the rear on my F450 and sliding the Smart behind the crewcab which could be done rather easily. I really do appreciate the participation! Thanks again!
If you move your fifth wheel hitch toward the rear and behind the axle, you are going to have some serious handling issues with your F450. That 2500+ hitch weight will act like the tail wagging the dog once it gets behind the axle. You can do that with a class 8 truck but not an F450. In fact, that would be your best bet for what you want. Get the class 8 and put the hitch toward the rear and the smart car on the deck. Many have done that. Go over to Escapees Discussion Forum
and take a look at the forums available.