Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-27-2013, 06:41 PM   #1

Toading with a Heavy fifth wheel

Hello

Hello, I am relatively new to this forum and I do not own a Motor Home. Please forgive my naivete, but driving a Medium Duty truck is great pulling, but actually sucks (and expensive) using it for day trips. I have been tossing around the idea of a toad, smart car attached with a 2-point hitch, but with the hitch attached to the rear of the car instead of the front, with all 4 wheels on the ground to make the car like an extension of the 5th wheel. I realize I would need an aux tail light attachment, but has anyone ever heard of this. Please correct me if I am wrong, but it seems to me that the car would track way better than to have a yoke, plus would shorten the length considerably. My 5'er is 38', plus 8' for the smart. Any opinions or ideas will be appreciated! Thank you in advance!
sngplb is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-27-2013, 06:52 PM   #2

Can't see that working at all with the tail swing of a fiver.

What benefit are you thinking it would give you to tow it backwards?

I think when towed behind a motorhome the steering is left unlocked and the front tires do turn a bit to follow. Towing it backward I am sure they would quickly turn to one side and drag
Old 01-27-2013, 07:03 PM   #3

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaddinmad40 View Post
I think when towed behind a motorhome the steering is left unlocked and the front tires do turn a bit to follow. Towing it backward I am sure they would quickly turn to one side and drag
The car has caster built into the front suspension to promote self-centering of the steering, but that's only when the vehicle is traveling forward. Traveling backward, the caster is reversed, and the steering will be inherently unstable as you speculated.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 07:36 PM   #4

Thanks for the input Gentlemen, however, my 5'er is 20,000lbs and tandem duals and extremely stable. My thought was the car being physically attached to the frame of the fifth wheel would make it a part of the 5th wheel, not being able to move the rear of the vehicle, ergo, keeping it straight.....
Old 01-27-2013, 07:46 PM   #5
KIX

Quote:
Originally Posted by sngplb View Post
Thanks for the input Gentlemen, however, my 5'er is 20,000lbs and tandem duals and extremely stable. My thought was the car being physically attached to the frame of the fifth wheel would make it a part of the 5th wheel, not being able to move the rear of the vehicle, ergo, keeping it straight.....
The problem with flat towing it backwards is just as Rusty expressed. The alignment settings on the front wheels of the car will definitely cause you some problems.
As another way to "skin the cat" look into a swivel wheel trailer.
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 07:50 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
The problem I see is in most stated 2 trailers I believe is illegal.
Gorlininc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 08:04 PM   #7

As KIX mentioned I have types of platform(trailer) with swivel wheels that is fixed at two tow points on the unit towing thus becoming an extension of the unit that allows up and down motion but stays completely strait while the wheels swivel around the turns. If you can picture the motion of the rear end of your fiver going around a corner you can imagine a whipping effect that no four down could tolerate.

I have seen these types of trailer usually for motorcycles but I am sure if money is no object something can probably be manufactured but then there is also the question of legality.

I am sure someone will chime in with the name of a manufacturer or web site with more info
Old 01-27-2013, 08:11 PM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
I know of no state where towing two trailers is illegal as long as you are within the overall length requirements.
Old Dude 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 08:14 PM   #9

Probably legal in most but I know in BC and WA maybe OR it is illegal.

The question with our proposal is " is this type of unit a trailer?"
Old 01-27-2013, 08:27 PM   #10
KIX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Dude 66 View Post
I know of no state where towing two trailers is illegal as long as you are within the overall length requirements.
Without any research it is illegal in FL, GA, AL, MS and more UNLESS you are commercially licensed
Old 01-27-2013, 08:33 PM   #11

Thanks again for the input, I have seen many, many 5er's towing boats throughout the Midwest. I know a lot of states on the East Coast do not allow doubles. Some states allow triples. I've thought about having a hydraulic lift fabricated and mounting the car side ways, the car is 96" long, my 5'er is 102" wide. I have also considered moving the hitch to the rear on my F450 and sliding the Smart behind the crewcab which could be done rather easily. I really do appreciate the participation! Thanks again!
Old 01-27-2013, 08:42 PM   #12
KIX

I've seen pics of a Smart mounted sideways o the back of a motorhome.
Old 01-27-2013, 08:46 PM   #13

Ford Super Duty Owner
Didn't know about those states but it is legal in Texas, New Mexico, Colorado, and Kansas.
Old Dude 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 12:00 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by sngplb View Post
Hello

... I have been tossing around the idea of a toad, smart car attached with a 2-point hitch, but with the hitch attached to the rear of the car instead of the front, with all 4 wheels on the ground to make the car like an extension of the 5th wheel... Please correct me if I am wrong, but it seems to me that the car would track way better than to have a yoke... Any opinions or ideas will be appreciated! Thank you in advance!
Forget if it's legal or not - if it's considered a second towed vehicle or not...'cuz it just wouldn't tow safely. Even if the frame of the Fifth Wheel could take the stress of the 1,800+ Lb Smart - (like said above) the tail of every towed vehicle swings during any turn - so the car would scrub sideways through every turn.

BUT - If your 5er is really riding on tandem/duals and weighs 20K, then why not just hang the Smart off the ground on the bumper with a deck for it or winch it onto a hitch receiver or 2.
Like the second post on this page http://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=461060

Please share what make/model it is. I would like to see that monster!
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote