Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-01-2014, 10:55 PM   #29

Hello and congratz on the beautiful Lincoln. I just today, drove my motorhome pulling my 2011 Edge AWD back from the installer with new Blue OX baseplate and Blue OX towbar with a 6 inch drop hitch inverted. The thing works great.
Only drove it 50 miles stopped twice just to ck the system mostly the Patriot brake system, I wanted to feel the tires and brakes to see if they were heating up from anything and there were no problems, The edge is just like advertised. I traded a Cadillac in on it and it is better than the Caddy. Fantastic vehicle. I know this is an old thread, but have you got everything hooked up and working and are there any problems?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-02-2014, 08:50 AM   #30
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
My bad for not updating.

We have pulled the 2013 Lincoln MKX for several trips now. The first trip was a little exciting when we stopped. I started to unhook, tried to start the car and nothing. Starter would not engage. To make a long story short, the installer of the AF1 reversed the polarity on the indicator light that tell when the car brake pedal is depressed. Replaced the fuse under the hood and poof, magically it started. I have since corrected the reverse polarity.

All tows so far have been good. I did not need a drop/riser receiver as it is well within specs. Maybe something to do with having the 22.5 inch tires on the MKX.

I did purchase the Kar Kaddy (sp) from Blue OX. Unfortunately after 4 or 5 tows it has started to come apart at the seam at the receiver end. I have sent an email to Blue Ox but no reply yet.

I follow the manual for towing. Run for 5 minutes before towing, drive, neutral, reverse, back to neutral, turn off AC and entertainment syste, place ignition (keyless) into accessories status. I also turn off the console display screen, and I put the alarm system I have into valet mode.

It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 11:27 AM   #31

Monaco Owners Club
Wayne
We also have the Lincoln MKX and are thinking about using it for our toad. We have been using a 1999 Jeep Grand Charokee with the Roadmaster Falcon 2 tow bar for several years, but now that we are in the process of getting new (to us) RV, the Lincoln will just work better I think. How does the front on your Lincoln look (when unhooked) with the tow bracket installed, on the Jeep you can see the brackets a bit, but it never bothered me previously. The DW doesnt want anything showing on the lincoln if possible and she is a little relucant to let me use her car for a toad so I need to be pretty careful moving forward to keep her happy.

I was nervous on how well the lincoln would work as a toad, but your report has given me the confidance that it just might be a perfect match.
Bob
Old 07-10-2014, 05:12 PM   #32
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Everything except my air hook up is almost hidden with the Blue Ox base plate. Blue Ox has a twist in receptacle and when not in use it comes out and the holes are flush with the bumper and a black plastic insert covers the hole. The safety hooks are out about an inch or so but not that conspicuous. I have the AF1 braking system and they put the air input sticking out a little to far, but I live with it. You could ask for it ot be in a different place. They do have to cut a little of the grill to get everything to have access.

It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote