Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 07-15-2016, 02:42 PM   #15
Fleetwood Owners Club
I went through the Dolly Vs. Flat-tow decision process myself after buying a Class A last fall, and settled on flat tow.

We have two vehicles that both seat 6 or more (a toad requirement for us), but only one - our 2009 Odyssey - can be flat-towed. The reason I considered a dolly is that our Mazda 5 weighs 1000 pounds or so less than our Odyssey. After looking at the greater hassle that may be involved in dolly towing (mostly, regular stops to check the straps for tightness), the cost of a good dolly, and the fact that the weight of the dolly would mean the Mazda wouldn't weigh all _that_ much less than the Odyssey, I scratched dolly towing.

I wound up with a Blue Ox Aventa LX and Blue Ox baseplate, Road Master 10,000 pound 8" drop receiver (all new) and a Road Master Even Brake (used). We just got back from a trip of slightly over 3,000 miles and I was happy with the way everything performed. I haven't even put a 5 Star tune on my Ford V-10 yet, performance on the big western grades was adequate (meaning I only dropped below 50 MPH on the worst stretches of the worst grades, and only briefly). Everything is stock, except for a Banks Ram Air, which made a noticeable improvement compared to the factory air intake.

When the Odyssey is off the MH and the tow pins are off, it's very discreet. Unless you tow yourself, you probably wouldn't notice that it's set up for towing.

Of course, if I were going to buy a toad for the purpose of towing, I'd really want a Jeep. The only thing stopping me, of course, would be lack of a six-passenger Jeep. If Jeep ever makes such a thing, it'll probably exceed my 5,000 pound towing limit, just to further torment me lol.

JB, wife Thuy, 3 daughters, my dad, cats Lyn and Sami
2008 Fleetwood Bounder 35H/2009 Honda Odyssey toad
San Diego, California
bluegiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-15-2016, 03:17 PM   #16
Good info, thx for the post!

StevL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 03:29 PM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Flat tow that Jeep! Don't mess with a dolly. We just got a Trailhawk but not going to tow that as it's about 1000 lbs. heavier than the car we tow now. That Overland will work out great for you!
07 Meridian 34H 350 Cat
2010 Subaru Forester Tow
Home Port is Kingman,Az
KA7UYZ NRA Endowment Member Retired Fire Service
dnystrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 03:44 PM   #18
If you drive down something like I-95 when the snowbirds are moving you will see a fair mix of both methods because they both work reasonably well. That will be a lot better than the four down only folks would have you believe. We use a Stehl tow with our Escape or Ranger as desired. Takes 5-10 minutes to load depending on how fast we feel like going.

nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote

toad, toads