Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-21-2019, 03:35 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
I agree that the breakaway cable looks a little snug. I also wrap the safety cables around the tow bar arms and cross them under the MH hitch. The reason is that if something comes unhitched, the crossed and wrapped cables will support towbar.
I always cross the safety cables at the motorhome end. Hard to see in my picture but they are crossed. I normally wrap the safety cables around the tow bar arms one time but didn't in that picture because I was trying to suspend the brake away cable in the coil of the safety cable so it wouldn't droop so much in the middle.

There are many people here and elsewhere that have differing opinions about wrapping the safety cables around the arms. Different towbar manufactures have different opinions about it too. The argument is that the cables could interfere with the release arm and allow the towbar to release on one side or the other. Personally I don't think that can happen the way my setup is configured. I normally wrap the safety cables around each arm one lap. Didn't for this picture because I was experimenting.

Good catch though and great discussion.
AKIQPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-21-2019, 03:43 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dreamer View Post
I find that an interesting picture. That's a cable brake actuator right? Just amazing how far behind the coach the towd is, and the hitch pivot. More zig zag potential imo.
Yep, the toad is way back there for sure. The ready brake and 4" hitch riser put the towbar about 20" further back from where it would be if the towbar were fit directly into the receiver.

I use hitch stabilizers so there is very little movement side to side or up and down. I've only towed about 5000 miles like this so far but have been on some terrible roads (Eastbound I-10 from Phoenix to ElPaso last week) and encountered severe sidewinds for over 200 miles last week (ElPaso to San Antonio) and there is no movement in the toad.

That said, I am planning on getting rid of the Blue Ox towbar and Ready Brake and replacing it with a Ready Brute Elite. This will get rid of about 14" of my overall towbar length.

I kinda like the toad being a little further back but I know that further back is less desirable for several reasons.
AKIQPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 03:50 PM   #45

Thanks all for the replies, I will be doing my second and third tow this week.

My wife is making up a check list.
Old 04-21-2019, 03:51 PM   #46

Keep all 10 tires on the ground and below 100mph. Towing four down? No backing up.
mikena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 03:55 PM   #47

I don't have a 2nd to check my toad setup or to monitor the tires as I leave somewhere so what I do is do things twice. Like if someone has talked to me. I walk around and check everything as if I was just doing it for the first time.

I almost always find a left turn somewhere in the RV park as I'm leaving, and take it. Even if I'm driving the wrong way for a few seconds. By doing so, it's easy to check in the mirror to see if the tires are turning. Looking out the passenger side it's difficult to see whether they are or not. I'll specifically choose a parking spot during trips at stores and sites just so I can see the tires during a left turn if I plan to disconnect the toad.

It's habit now and so far so good.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 04:00 PM   #48

Toad pulling

Only thing I can add is , sane with any trailer behind a car truck mh. Put brakes on the thing and extra 3-4000 lbs can make a huge difference in stopping in an emergency
Some say doesn’t matter. Be safe not a wishful thinker
Or wish I would’ve done that
Forever-free is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 04:01 PM   #49

check lights

I have my wife in back of toad to check turn signals, brake, parking lights on toad.
gtbdds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 04:12 PM   #50

My number one rule.
Know your exit strategy before you pull into any business,,,,,,,, restaurant, fuel station, any where.
It is no fun to have to unhook in tight crowded spot.
Don’t ask me how I know this. Lol
ncbeachbums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 04:16 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicorn Driver View Post
Hi,

Tomorrow will be my 1st time towing a toad.
I have driven about 10,000 miles 2 years in a 35 ft and a 38ft class A for the last year.

Toad is a 2012 4 door Wrangler.

Coach has Tire tracker Tpms and have sensors for the toad and a repeater.

Drive home from the Ready Brute dealer is 70 miles mostly on interstate.

Any advice?

Thanks
Use auxiliary brake system, preferably one you can leave in. Make & use a checklist for hooking up. Do not let anyone speak with you or otherwise interrupt your routine. After every stop, walk around to make sure all is good, & no one has pulled a pin. Keep an eye on your toad while en-route, especially when changing lanes or passing.
Happy trails!
Elevensdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 04:22 PM   #52

First Time Towing a Toad

Hi and Congrats

I have been towing a similar Jeep with a Ready Brute tow bar and have had no difficulties with it at all.

Enjoy the experience having the car along is such a joy for so many reasons.

My only suggestion is be careful not to get yourself in a position where you need to backup even a few feet because of course your Ready Brute will pull your brakes on the minute you backup any distance. Now it did happen to me once and I simply disconnected the braking activation cable which allowed me to push the towed back enough to take second run at the turn with no problem. If you ever have to do that, please remember to reconnect the braking cable before hitting the road again.

You will love the system!!!

Cheers

Rene
Rene OBrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 04:28 PM   #53

my last trip to alaska we were on the alcan and had seen this couple along the way and had lunch a few times with them...we both had class a and were towing tracker. then in alaska we went one way and they went to homer...on way back 2 weeks later we saw them again without car...we stopped and talked. they didnt know they had forgot the car 200 miles back and had to drive back to get it....dont forget your car. we will never forget that.lol
ncmaineac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 04:33 PM   #54
pjb

Toad

When I stop for a break or to go into a store or restaurant, I always pull the key from the toad and lock the doors. So, I have to remember to put the key back into the toad and turn it to release the steering. I have a note card I put on the rv steering wheel as a reminder.
pjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 04:36 PM   #55

Newmar Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to dtrawets
I'm guessing your flat towing which is much better than having to Dolly tow. We went through that for a year and a bit. It works, but not very easy. It takes much more time, care and stop checks when using a dolly. We started flat towing last summer and it was a breeze. Double check everything plus the parking brake. One thing to think of. How you have to leave the key in the ignition for the steering to be able to turn. Transfer case and transmission in neutral. If you haven't, go to youtube and check out towing there. Great place for answers and learning. Something else that might be wise. Get someone to stand back there and slowly turn to see just how tight you can saftly turn without making contact with you vehicle.
dtrawets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 04:37 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winemaker2 View Post
Just look and plan ahead. In most cases - You can't back up so you need to look ahead and plan your path when fueling, shopping, etc. To start off not a bad idea to have a checklist and have copilot double check all items satisfactory.
I find it best to establish a routine / sequence and follow it every time. Also resist stopping to chat w CG neighbors etc when hooking up. If distracted start over and be sure which steps have been completed and work from there.
Being familiar w driving the coach should make the addition of a toad EZ.
I avoid cutting MH wheels sharply before beginning fwd motion... its puts an undesirable side load on tow bar due to MH rear end overhang and swing. I try to start rolling and then begin turning.
In general it is EZ just a few extra points to keep in mind.
Enjoy the adventures
This is really good advice. There are times you might have to disconnect if you get in a close spot because you definitely can't back up when towing. Other than that, just do as stated above and you'll have no problems.
rbtharris is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice, toad, tow, towing