Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-26-2019, 10:42 PM   #99

Newmar Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to dtrawets
I agree. A rear camera is the best. We went a year without one as ours stopped working. I didn't think it was a big deal and we got by, but once I replaced it with a wireless unit and had a nice monitor on the dash, I loved it. It also helped with changing lanes. you could tell you were far enough past the vehicle you were passing to get back over.
dtrawets is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-28-2020, 08:30 PM   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikena View Post
Keep all 10 tires on the ground and below 100mph. Towing four down? No backing up.
Suppose you've overshot the gas pump by say 6 feet... can you back up so that the hose will reach? I do know that with a tow dolly you can't back up at all.
tommar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 08:37 PM   #101

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommar View Post
Suppose you've overshot the gas pump by say 6 feet... can you back up so that the hose will reach? I do know that with a tow dolly you can't back up at all.
You can ; and I have; backed up 6 feet towing four down PROVIDED , you were going straight ahead for a good distance before stopping . NOT 100% straight ... don't even think about it , something will bend or break.
Old 05-28-2020, 08:46 PM   #102

I back up a 4 on the ground car all the time when I over shoot. Trick I use is to keep the steer wheels pointed the same way they were. So if I get in a bind turning into a stations pumps, I keep the same turn angle and back up till I can straighten out and drive a new direction. Straight back up would be perfect but it can't always be done.

Now, as you're backing up, watch carefully. When the car starts going at an angle, then you gotta stop. Go forward, straighten out, try again.

It's tricky, but doable. And I don't try to go too far backing up either.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 06:37 AM   #103

Check everything to make sure it is connected correctly and transmission is set up correctly. Then double and triple check before you start towing. I did not do that the first time and it costs me $6,000 for a new transmission. If in doubt when you sit in the drivers seat get out and check again. Just saying from experience.
Billcmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 06:46 AM   #104

You realize that up until yesterday this thread was over a year old.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 09:24 AM   #105

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
You realize that up until yesterday this thread was over a year old.
Guess you were addressing that snide comment to me... I just wanted info on backing up as I contemplate possibly buying a toad of some kind.
Old 05-29-2020, 09:33 AM   #106

Entegra Owners Club
Backing up is a risky thing to do when towing 4-down and should only be done in very rare circumstances. Teach yourself to stop at the pump or slightly short of it, rather than past it. If you stopped too short you can easily pull forward without the risk that backing up entails.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 03:30 PM   #107

How much does outfitting a jeep for becoming a toad cost? Also do most people outfit their toads with a braking syste? The cost? And not least, if you have to leave the key on to release the steering lock, what about battery drain? All my life I was told never to leave the key on for any length due to ignition system.
Old 05-29-2020, 03:37 PM   #108

Jeep Wrangler. No ign lock, buy the wiring harness that is a plug and play from trailers.com, tow bar and braking system of your choice and good to go.
We use a ready brute tow bar and brake system, very happy with it.
Roy-c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 04:09 AM   #109

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRUSA14 View Post
Backing up is a risky thing to do when towing 4-down and should only be done in very rare circumstances. Teach yourself to stop at the pump or slightly short of it, rather than past it. If you stopped too short you can easily pull forward without the risk that backing up entails.
I have not tried backing up while pulling the toad, but eventually I will get trapped and it may be the easiest way out. Has anyone tried to have another person steer the toad during reverse? I understand the main issue is the front wheels of the toad will get cocked to one side or the other so if the DW held the steering wheel of the toad straight it should work? or not? Greg
svcattales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 06:38 AM   #110

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I've backed into parking spots in truck stops. Flat level paved lot. No sharp turns! Have DW hold wheel perfectly straight and carefully back in, just like a trailer, be gentle on that tow bar because there very light! Log trucks do it all the time, just heaver duty equipment!
Old 05-30-2020, 07:30 AM   #111

Backing up while 4 down will get you in trouble faster than you can say "bent towbar". Our rule is 100% never back up. Unhooking takes us under 2 minutes.
Rolling Ragu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 05:45 AM   #112

tommar check out this link

https://youtu.be/GDid5PpEuF4

His 6 videos will walk you through the whole setup. I had about $2000 in the whole set up, it works great.

Tags
advice, toad, tow, towing