Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-01-2017, 03:05 PM   #15

Tiffin Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garyp47 View Post
Larry, what did you wind up doing? I have the exact same coach except it's the Sunstar version. I am flat towing a 2001 Chevy Tracker now and using a 6" drop receiver to get the tow bar almost parallel with the ground but I was thinking of getting a newer vehicle and a tow dolly.
Well, it is sort of embarrassing, turns out I was not on very level ground. When I finally got on level concrete, the 6" drop puts it at about 15 inches. Right in the sweet spot for the eze-tow dolly.
LarryJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-03-2017, 09:15 PM   #16
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I routinely recommend doing this. I've had a second receiver welded onto my last two motor homes. It gives you a 4" drop without extending the receiver farther back. You can then add a drop hitch that's four inches shorter.

Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 06:44 AM   #17

Hello, just purchased an acme eze-tow dolly ! I have many questions, namely: plan to tow a 2014 Hyundai Santa Fe. This SUV has a keyless ignition system. Struggling with how to get it into steering column unlocked, as required by this Dolly. I have called 3 Hyundai dealerships and gotten 3 different answers. I believe we can use the ACC position on ignition button But do we then remove car battery negative connection? If so do we need a memory saver to plug into the lighter socket? How long can We tow with a 9 volt battery supply to the memory saver? I have read about removing the spark plug for radio, would that be a better solution? Any and all input would be greatly appreciated!!!!
Dmg066 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 07:09 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugitive861 View Post
The tow dolly has ramps extending rearward (to load vehicle). If the tongue is high, like your case may be, the ramps may scrape the ground when going in and out of driveways. If the tongue is low, you are at risk of the ramps being high and hitting the bottom of the door on your vehicle...unless you tow something with high ground clearance like a jeep. You may consider a 6 inch drop ball mount instead of a 4 inch hi-low plus a 2 inch ball mount, as it may have less play (slop). Good luck. And remember, don't try to back up (jack knife).
EZE tow has removable ramps. Too high of hitch height on these causes front valance clearance issues on towed vehicle.
Crazeee1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 07:16 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Measure from the ground to the top of the hitch, where the ball bolts to.
Acme says to measure to bottom of ball. At least there video shows that.
Crazeee1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, tow dolly, dolly