RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-15-2019, 08:10 PM   #1

Tongue Weight

wondering what the tongue weight would be when towing a 455 lb. tow dolly with a 2800 lb. car on it ?

2018 Forest River 2851SLE "Forester" E-450 Class C , Sumo Springs bump stops Front & Rear, Hellwig Sway Bars Front & Rear, Bilstein HD shocks front & rear, Roadmaster Steering Stabilizer, alignment set to +5 caster. (that's it, out of $$$)
riverforest is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-15-2019, 08:49 PM   #2

You may calculate that out with geometry and actual measurements of the tow dolly, weight of front axle of car.It's the same principle as calculating tongue weight of a loaded TT.
No-one here can make the calculations unless you supply the required measurements and weights. For instance what is the distance between the center-lines of the tow dolly wheels and car wheels? What is the weight of the car front axle?

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy Read more at: John_F_Kennedy_1961
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 09:04 PM   #3

Here’s a graphic on how to do it (post #9m, and ignore the golf cart), but as Ray,IN said, without the specifics, there’s no way to tell.

Need help with Tandem Tow Dolly Manual
KanzKran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 09:59 PM   #4

didn't think it would be this technical to pick a ball mount, but thanks for advice.
2018 Forest River 2851SLE "Forester" E-450 Class C , Sumo Springs bump stops Front & Rear, Hellwig Sway Bars Front & Rear, Bilstein HD shocks front & rear, Roadmaster Steering Stabilizer, alignment set to +5 caster. (that's it, out of $$$)
Old 05-15-2019, 11:18 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverforest View Post
didn't think it would be this technical to pick a ball mount, but thanks for advice.
That changes everything. The top of the ball should be the same as the dolly hitch, measured when level (top of dolly hitch above ball socket)
Once you determine that dolly height, measure your MH hitch-to-pavement distance, add ball height- minus shank length. The ball-mount drop/rise needed is the difference between dolly measurement and MH hitch measurement.
Tongue weight does affect ball height so dolly tows level, but if you can pick up the dolly tongue with car loaded,the tongue weight is insignificant.IMO

It's late, I hope I explained it logically.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy Read more at: John_F_Kennedy_1961
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 02:49 AM   #6

Load the car and strap it down for travel.
Then open the coupler and see how heavy it is to lift.

My dolly could be lifted by hand, 30 to 40 lbs of tongue weight.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 05:42 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverforest View Post
Picking the ball mount is easy - just make sure the rise or drop plus ball height comes out to what's required for the design hitch height, and that it has adequate capacity for the dolly plus total toad weight.

That little graphic was to try to help someone who wanted to estimate where to locate the toad's front wheels on the dolly to get the desired tongue weight using a dolly that's also carrying a golf cart, in order to reduce the trial and error cycles of weighing the tongue in the driveway.
KanzKran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 12:16 PM   #8

I do have a ball mount that is good for 600lbs. tongue weight and 6000lbs. capacity, so I should be good to go.
Old 05-18-2019, 12:02 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

A tow dolly has hardly any weight on its coupler (ball) - surely less than 100 lbs and typically more like 50. The car on the dolly doesn't place any weight forward, so basically the unloaded dolly tongue weight is unchanged when the car is driven on it.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 02:02 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Load the car and strap it down for travel.
Then open the coupler and see how heavy it is to lift.

My dolly could be lifted by hand, 30 to 40 lbs of tongue weight.

Similar to what I did, but I didnít decouple the dolly, I simply lifted until I felt the coupler move upward on the ball. Similar tongue weight though, roughly 30 lbs.
vettenuts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 08:10 PM   #11

Because I tow different things with my Avalanche and motorhome, I purchased an adjustable ball hitch with a 1500# scale built into it. I just hook up the trailer and put the load where it gets the amount of weight I want on the hitch. It takes the guesswork out of the equation. As mentioned, I doubt a tow dolly would have more than a hundred pounds on the hitch.
Crasher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 01:43 PM   #12

this might be over kill but I should have bought this hitch years ago as I will never need to buy a new hitch again ?
It works great ! and no rust ! and no more guessing the weight !

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

it should be cheaper in the states

dave
featherlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 07:14 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by featherlite View Post
this might be over kill but I should have bought this hitch years ago as I will never need to buy a new hitch again ?
It works great ! and no rust ! and no more guessing the weight !

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

it should be cheaper in the states

dave
That's what I have and referred to in my previous post. It sure is worth the price. No more guessing or calculating.

Crasher is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
tongue weight, weight